Global Entry Denial Question

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 12, 2018
I was recently denied membership in Global Entry due to failing to disclose a 1997 customs infraction, and of course, the violation itself.
Upon return to the States from a vacation to Italy, I had failed to list on the customs document that I purchased a couple items of clothing, which still had the sale retail tags on them when entering thru Customs. As I recall, I paid a fine and went along my way.
Fast forward 21 years, denial for my Global Entry submission and it appears they have also removed my long standing TSA Pre-Check membership.
Do you believe that a well written letter to the CBP Ombudsman explaining the incident would help? My record is squeaky clean aside from this. I hate to spend another $100 if resubmissions are generally denied.

Jul 27, 2016
I was recently denied membership in Global Entry due to failing to disclose a 1997 customs infraction, and of course, the violation itself.
Upon return to the States from a vacation to Italy, I had failed to list on the customs document that I purchased a couple items of clothing, which still had the sale retail tags on them when entering thru Customs. As I recall, I paid a fine and went along my way.
Fast forward 21 years, denial for my Global Entry submission and it appears they have also removed my long standing TSA Pre-Check membership.
Do you believe that a well written letter to the CBP Ombudsman explaining the incident would help? My record is squeaky clean aside from this. I hate to spend another $100 if resubmissions are generally denied.
Did you genuinely forget to disclose it, or did you just decide to leave it off the form? If you can honestly say that you forgot, might be worth a try, saying you weren't trying to deceive, you forgot about it since it was 20 years ago, etc. etc.

Oct 12, 2018
Did you genuinely forget to disclose it, or did you just decide to leave it off the form? If you can honestly say that you forgot, might be worth a try, saying you weren't trying to deceive, you forgot about it since it was 20 years ago, etc. etc.
Yes, I genuinely forgot to disclose. Now that it was brought to my attention, I recall it being the last day of a whirlwind trip, red eye flight, didnt put much effort into filling out the customs form on the flight, and honestly, I barely remember the incident.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You must have a squeaky clean background to be approved for GE. Even if you had disclosed, you probably would have been denied because being in found of a customs violation is trading for ineligibility.

Reasons for Ineligibility

You may not be eligible for participation in the Global Entry program if you:

• Provide false or incomplete information on the application;
  • Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges or outstanding warrants (to include driving under the influence);
  • Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;
  • Are the subject of an ongoing investigation by any federal, state or local law enforcement agency;
  • Are inadmissible to the United States under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation; or
  • Cannot satisfy CBP of your low-risk status.

Sep 19, 2015
Doubtful that you will be approved.

You did not declare and were caught. You did not disclose and were caught. So you did not take care in your customs form and did not take care in your GE application from the CBP point of view. This is a voluntary program that is based on risk and you already have a customs violation.

Look on flyertalk under GE denial.

I would not waste the money.