Getting delayed bags from Alitalia

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 5, 2018
I recently flew from Florence to Rome and Rome to USA on separate tickets. The first flight from Florence on Alitalia never loaded my bags on the plane, as I found out later. I waited an hour at the baggage carousel and then had to catch my next flight, without my bags. Before I left the baggage area, I filed a PIR report with Alitalia about the bags and requested they be sent to my home address. The next flight was with Delta, but I had no bags to check. This was June 26.

On June 27 I sent a detailed description of the bags to customer.relationsnyc@alitalia.it and to bif@alitalia.it which is the central baggage office email, as advised.
On June 28 I received a message from the world tracer which indicated the bags would arrive in my destination airport on June 29.
Subject to Conditions - Your item is located and is being
sent to the delivery airport. AZ0332/28JUN/DL0035/29JUN/
AS2464/29JUN

Please note:
Flight dates shown are departure dates from the specific location(s).
Forwarding details are subject to changes due to unforeseen circumstances such as: flight irregularities, security checks, etc.

Please be assured you will be contacted when the baggage has actually arrived, and we have verified it is yours.

However, June 29 came and went and no bags. I called the number for delayed bags in Italy +39 06 65640 every day. Always an operator said the bags had been sent, and every day I said they had not. I was told the case had been closed and that is why there were no updates. No one could tell me where the bags were. I continued to call every day, using my computer so that I could do other things while waiting for operators. Using skype to call was cheaper and helped me with the patience required since I could do other things while waiting. It became clear that in Europe there is no requirement to scan bag tags, so there is no data to access, unlike in the US where DOT regulations require that all bag tags are scanned and tracked. This is why no one could tell me the location of the bags or confirm that they ever left Rome for my home airport. All the operators could do was send a message to the airports by telex to ask for the bags to be sent on their way.
I sent another email on July 3 to bif and customer relations to ask that the case be reopened. You will never get a reply, but it seemed like a good idea. I included all the same documentation.
On July 4th I got a call from my home airport that one bag had arrived. On July 5th I got a call that the other bag arrived. This was a happy ending, and it only took 10 days and lots of phone calls.
I hope that this report will help others who have problems getting bags from Alitalia.

Sep 19, 2015
For once I am not going to criticize Alitalia — except for the not loading the bags in the first place. ( I would have taken the train rather than have separate reservations as sometimes waiting for bags at FCO can take ages).

One thing to consider is that customs may have held up the bags outgoing Italy and incoming US — Especially as the bags were flying onwards to the US and they had only been ticketed domestically.

Skype can be very good for those types of calls.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you had separate tickets- you needed to collect your bags and check them onto your second flight. The airline doesn’t do it for you unless the flights are ticketed together and the airlines work together.

Didn’t your travel agent advise you about that?

Jul 13, 2016
If you had separate tickets- you needed to collect your bags and check them onto your second flight. The airline doesn’t do it for you unless the flights are ticketed together and the airlines work together.

Didn’t your travel agent advise you about that?
Neil, the OP did wait for his bags after the first flight, but when they didn't show up, had to leave to catch his onward flight.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Absolutely WONDERFUL story! As I read your tale, I'm thinking "oh, oh, this guy is toast". What a great ending, I'm so happy for you. Thanks for letting us know.