GE/Haier Electric Range

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 3, 2019
I purchased a Haier Electric Range HCR2250AES in February of 2018. 3 weeks ago I came back from vacation and noticed the entire front panel where the burner knobs are located was shattered. Not just a crack, but shattered across the entire panel. A technician came to inspect/repair, but was not able to anything. The part is on back order for another 3 months. He did verify that this was a manufacturing error. To much pressure was placed on the tempered glass during assembly and the stress finally exceeded its strength. I was able to reach the appropriate support at GE/Haier to start an inquiry. At first it was promising. They were looking to expedite the replacement part if possible, or replace the unit. Today I received a message that they now believe the unit is "too far out of warranty" to qualify for a replacement and that they would only offer a discount on another unit. This defect has made the entire range unusable. I can't read any of the burner settings or oven settings through the shattered glass. Furthermore, this isn't like a squeaky hinge or a faulty fan, this is a major manufacturing error.

I would like GE/Haier to replace the unit, quickly if possible since there is no way to safely cook with the range. I see that the primary contact here is the VP of Refrigeration. It feels odd sending a complaint about a range to this person. Is this the best place to start? Has anyone else had success with these contacts?

Thank you.

Attachments

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
We suggest you write to the listed contacts, one per week, moving to the next if no/negative response.

Do you have anything from a web search or other source to tell that this is not an isolated problem? I would not rely on the verbal (or written) statement of the service person to be the primary evidence for your appeal.

Follow these instructions: https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
Do not attach anything to your emails unless specifically requested.

Remember "GE" is no longer the old US-based GE, but a Chinese company with a potentially different approach to consumers compared to the old GE.
Qingdao Haier Co, Ltd are using the GE name for marketing, but their newer appliances have nothing to do with GE.
"GE Appliances is based in Louisville, Kentucky. It is owned by Qingdao Haier Co, Ltd which is a Chinese company." This ownership change occurred in June 2016.

Jan 3, 2019
Below is what I wrote to the first contact. It's modified version of my original post. I'll keep the forum posted with any resolution I could get.

Mr. McCalpin,

I'm writing to you in hopes of reaching a more amicable solution with GE/Haier over a product defect. I purchased a Haier Electric Range HCR2250AES in February of 2018. 3 weeks ago I came back from vacation and noticed the entire front panel where the burner knobs are located was shattered. Not just a crack, but shattered across the entire panel. A technician came to inspect/repair, but was not able to anything. The part is on back order for another 3 months. He did verify that this was a manufacturing error. To much pressure was placed on the tempered glass during assembly and the stress finally exceeded its strength. I was able to reach the appropriate support at GE/Haier to start an inquiry. At first it was promising. They were looking to expedite the replacement part if possible, or replace the unit. Today I received a message that they now believe the unit is "too far out of warranty" to qualify for a replacement and that they would only offer a discount on another unit. This defect has made the entire range unusable. I can't read any of the burner settings or oven settings through the shattered glass.

Does GE/Haier believe that this product meets their standards of quality 1.5 years after purchase? Does GE/Haier believe that it is acceptable for the front panel to shatter, making the product 100% unusable 1.5 years after purchase? Does GE/Haier believe the customer is at fault for this situation and responsible for replacement?

It is my belief that GE/Haier have a stronger commitment to quality than this, and if given a chance, they would do right by their customers. I also have the Haier refrigerator HRQ16N3BGS and dishwasher. These small appliances are very difficult to come by in the US and are perfect for my smaller kitchen. Is there any more that you can do to show your commitment to quality products?
Thank you

Jan 3, 2019
Excellent news. I received a call from their customer service department at HQ and without hesitation they agreed to replace the range at no charge. A big thanks to this forum for providing the appropriate contacts and teaching individuals how to resolve conflicts. And a huge thanks to GE/Haier for standing behind their commitment to quality products.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Wonderful news! It's so disheartening to learn about huge companies selling sub-standard items and subsequently ignoring a customer. Thanks so much for letting us know that there is still hope for help with a major appliance that breaks down.

Feb 3, 2019
It is my belief that GE/Haier have a stronger commitment to quality than this, and if given a chance, they would do right by their customers. I also have the Haier refrigerator HRQ16N3BGS and dishwasher. These small appliances are very difficult to come by in the US and are perfect for my smaller kitchen. Is there any more that you can do to show your commitment to quality products?
Good job using honey to catch those flies!

Jan 3, 2019
New range is being installed as I write this. I don't blame the initial customer support team for denying me. They have very black and white instructions. The range was just out of warranty, so no replacement. I like to appeal to the higher powers that have the authority determine these edge cases. Many of these companies have mission statements about providing superior quality to their customers, so it always helps to remind them of this. I truly believe that everyone is trying to do a good job, but some are more boxed in by rules than others and they don't deserved to be yelled at by customers when they are not in the position to change it.

Feb 3, 2019
I truly believe that everyone is trying to do a good job, but some are more boxed in by rules than others and they don't deserved to be yelled at by customers when they are not in the position to change it.
Having held a variety of customer/client-facing positions over the decades since I started my first proper paying job on my 14th birthday, I thank you. Can you give lessons in how to get good customer service?