Full refund promised but giving only half.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 30, 2017
In April 2016 we booked a 31 day Australia & New Zealand cruise from Sydney to Singapore directly with NCL. Reservation #(removed) on the Norwegian Star. We learned a week before flying to Sydney the Star was having propulsion problems and was only able to sail at half speed. Instead of fixing the problem, we sailed from Sydney to Melbourne receiving daily updates of how the itinerary would be affected. Upon sailing from Melbourne for Auckland, we awoke the next morning to learn the ship was adrift in the Tasman Sea because the propulsion system had failed on the other side!.. While being towed back to Melbourne for repairs, we received a letter signed by Ships Master Mattias Andersson and Andy Stuart, President & CEO, NCL stating all guests would be provided a full refund as well as a 50% future cruise credit. When we received only a partial credit (less taxes & port fees), we wrote NCL only to be advised that our cruise was a two legged trip and no further reimbursement would be coming. This cruise was advertised on NCL's website as a 31 day cruise and our confirmation showed the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
How annoying, Audrey - you grin and bear it trying to enjoy this half-baked cruise, then are insulted by a letter from someone who can't read or doesn't care. You have to wonder about someone who would send you that letter, over-riding the CEO's actions.

Compose a concise, polite letter to NCL customer service outlining what happened. No emotion, just a nice, polite listing of the facts, and a request for the refund/credit that you were promised; attach the letter you received outlining that compensation.. The person reading your letter did not cause your problem, and your job is to make her want to help you. Your tone should be one of "Gee, this wasn't handled correctly, I'm sure it's just an oversight, so please help me" ... no blame or accusations. Keep it as short as possible.

Give them 2 weeks, if no response or you don't like what you hear, use our Company Contacts to send your letter to one executive at a time. Wait a week between submissions. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

R

Realitoes

Was this the cruise:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7527

According to the article it was a 12 day cruise? Were you on back to back cruises? It is not unusual for them to even package these cruises together. What were the dates you were onboard?

In any case if the issues didn't affect the other portion of the cruise, the compensation to refund the 12 days is reasonable. Refunding all 31 days would not be reasonable, especially considering everyone else that was only booked on the 12 days would only receive the refund for the 12 days.

I'm sorry, but unless more of your trip was affected than stated in the article, I think it is expecting too much to be reimbursed the full 31 days, especially if you stayed for the whole period.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Was this the cruise:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7527

According to the article it was a 12 day cruise? Were you on back to back cruises? It is not unusual for them to even package these cruises together. What were the dates you were onboard?

In any case if the issues didn't affect the other portion of the cruise, the compensation to refund the 12 days is reasonable. Refunding all 31 days would not be reasonable, especially considering everyone else that was only booked on the 12 days would only receive the refund for the 12 days.

I'm sorry, but unless more of your trip was affected than stated in the article, I think it is expecting too much to be reimbursed the full 31 days, especially if you stayed for the whole period.
I absolutely agree. If they were back to back there is no reason to refund anything else if there were no further missed ports or problems with the ship on the rest of the cruise.