frontier is charging us $2800 for 4 to orlando. outragous

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 15, 2018
We purchased 4 tickets october 2017 from frontier airlines leaving trenton NJ. airport to orlando. A trip to disneyworld. Our cost was
$1155.00 roundtrip.
My daughter started 7th grade middle school and had missed 15 days within the first 48 days do to an illness. She fell way behind in her school work and by the time we had her report card it was even worse. Our trip was set for march 3rd thru the 11th 2018. With her troubles in school we could not in our right mind take her out of school for 10 days. So we decided to change the dates of our departure. We looked and decided spring break march 23 thru april 1st was the best time to go. No missing school even though it would be more crowded and knowing that frontier was going to charge us $99.99 per person to change the dates. I went in to change the dates for our flight 01-13-18 and all I saw was the option to change the date for $ 399.00. I did not see anything else. When I printed the receipt I saw that frontier had charged our card an additional
$1623.00...After about an hour on the phone with frontier I was told that this was new price to fly plus the change. So they are charging us $ $2768.39 to fly roundtrip to orlando. I explained that we could not afford that kind of money at this time and this was a total rip off. But I got the same answer from all 3 people I spoke with that's our policy, and I even had a combative women supervisor with me on the phone. I have checked other airlines and there round trip tickets are $1300...I don't understand why we where charged so much money when all I was suppose to pay for was the date change of $399.00. I feel taken advantage of and ripped off.

What's your desired resolution? I would like a full refund so we can afford better priced airline tickets and my family and I can enjoy our vacation.
Confirmation no#XXXXXX
I can fly to Australia for 2 for that amount of money.
Thank you

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 2800

Date of transaction/travel date: 2018-01-13

NOTE: This was edited to remove the confirmation number.

Jan 15, 2018
Does anyone know who VP for frontier airlines customer relations/service. Name and phone would be great. email would also be awesome. Thank you

Jan 6, 2015
Ken, you posted in a separate thread about your issue, Please start at Customer Service/Care and work your way up form there. The higher you start, the fewer chances you have to obtain a satisfactory resolution ...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, when you change dates on any flights you have to pay a change fee PLUS the cost of new tickets less a credit of what you paid for your previous tickets.

You are actually canceling your old tickets and rebuying new tickets. You should have only paid the difference in price less the change fee.

Didn’t they apply what you previously paid against the cost of the new tickets?

You probably should have called and not done this online because you may have done it improperly.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I hate to agree about not making the date changes properly, but I think Neil may be right. Surely Frontier laid out all the charges when you went in to change the dates of the trip. If they had quoted $99 for a change, why did you agree to pay $399? Your situation isn't making sense to me.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I actually created a booking for 4 people from Trenton on your dates with seat assignments, a carry on for each and a checked bag each and the price was $3294. If you subtract what you said your original flights cost it is close to what you paid.

You would have lost the originally money you paid for your original flights if you had canceled to book with another airline since your tickets were nonrefundable.

I don’t see any other airlines flying out of Trenton. I checked your dates out of Philly and tickets started at $829 pp on AA. So it might have cost you $3300 for new tickets on AA PLUS you would have lost the $1155 you paid Frontier for canceling.

I don’t know you would have found cheaper flights elsewhere. I think under the circumstances rebooking through Frontier was the better move.

Jan 15, 2018
Also, Spring break is one of the most expensive times of the year to fly so tickets will be much more money than tickets for March.
Hey Neil, We just checked spirit airlines flying out of Atlantic City airport to Orlando for 4 people. $ 1229.00 Dates are the same. March 23rd thru April 1st. There doesn't seem to be any price gauging at Spirit airlines just the low cost airline the rip off Frontier.

Jan 15, 2018
I hate to agree about not making the date changes properly, but I think Neil may be right. Surely Frontier laid out all the charges when you went in to change the dates of the trip. If they had quoted $99 for a change, why did you agree to pay $399? Your situation isn't making sense to me.
It was $99 x four. 4 tickets where purchased. The only thing I saw checking out was $399. That was it. I only noticed the additional $1623 when I printed my receipt. Everything I did was correct. Except frontier is a fu**ing rip off airline. We just found 4 tickets to orlando flying out of Atlantic City for $1229.00 for the same dates Spirit airlines

Jan 6, 2015
It was $99 x four. 4 tickets where purchased. The only thing I saw checking out was $399. That was it. I only noticed the additional $1623 when I printed my receipt. Everything I did was correct. Except frontier is a fu**ing rip off airline. We just found 4 tickets to orlando flying out of Atlantic City for $1229.00 for the same dates Spirit airlines
Be very careful with Spirit. The price you see is likely before all their add-on fees and taxes. They charge extra for almost everything, and their leg room is very small.

Spirit is considered an Ultra Low Cost Carrier (ULCC) ...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hey Neil, We just checked spirit airlines flying out of Atlantic City airport to Orlando for 4 people. $ 1229.00 Dates are the same. March 23rd thru April 1st. There doesn't seem to be any price gauging at Spirit airlines just the low cost airline the rip off Frontier.
Unfortunately you chose Frontier so you are either stuck with their pricing or you may lose everything you have already paid.

The problem with Spirit is their limited flights. If your flight going or coming is canceled for any reason, they may not be able to get you on another flight for several days.

I highly recommend buying insurance to protect your investment in case on if you gets sick and can’t travel, or someone falls and breaks a leg and you can’t travel or your flights are delayed or canceled.

One other thing to keep an eye on is if your flight on Frontier is canceled by it has a substantial change in flight time. If either happen you can request a full refund. The you’d be able to book on Spirit.

Just an FYI - Frontiers website states if you change your tickets there is a $99 change fee pp plus the difference in fare;

Will I be charged a fee to change my reservation?
Last Modified on 05/05/2017 4:44 pm MDT
Fares: A $99 change fee and any difference in air fare will apply to any changes. This includes date changes and city changes. All exchanges have no residual value when exchanged for a purchase of lesser value.

Did you purchase The WORKS℠?Refundability is included with the purchase of the WORKS℠. Visit Flyfrontier.com and apply the value of your booking to your new ticket without any penalty, subject to any difference in fare and/or options prices.

Are you changing to a different flight on the same day?Frontier offers a Same Day confirmed alternative flight option for a flat fee of $99 (complimentary for EarlyReturns® Elite members and for those who purchased the Works℠). To request this option, see a Frontier airport representative or call Frontier Reservations at 801-401-9000.

Jan 15, 2018
Unfortunately you chose Frontier so you are either stuck with their pricing or you may lose everything you have already paid.

The problem with Spirit is their limited flights. If your flight going or coming is canceled for any reason, they may not be able to get you on another flight for several days.

I highly recommend buying insurance to protect your investment in case on if you gets sick and can’t travel, or someone falls and breaks a leg and you can’t travel or your flights are delayed or canceled.

One other thing to keep an eye on is if your flight on Frontier is canceled by it has a substantial change in flight time. If either happen you can request a full refund. The you’d be able to book on Spirit.

Just an FYI - Frontiers website states if you change your tickets there is a $99 change fee pp plus the difference in fare;

Will I be charged a fee to change my reservation?
Last Modified on 05/05/2017 4:44 pm MDT
Fares: A $99 change fee and any difference in air fare will apply to any changes. This includes date changes and city changes. All exchanges have no residual value when exchanged for a purchase of lesser value.

Did you purchase The WORKS℠?Refundability is included with the purchase of the WORKS℠. Visit Flyfrontier.com and apply the value of your booking to your new ticket without any penalty, subject to any difference in fare and/or options prices.

Are you changing to a different flight on the same day?Frontier offers a Same Day confirmed alternative flight option for a flat fee of $99 (complimentary for EarlyReturns® Elite members and for those who purchased the Works℠). To request this option, see a Frontier airport representative or call Frontier Reservations at 801-401-9000.
Hey Neil,
I would have purchased insurance for frontier but it is not available in Pa. and 5 other states. With booking way in advanced I would have done so. So that option I'm screwed.
Spirit offers insurance, and it also has about the same amount of flights leaving atlantic city as frontier does leaving trenton. when I was changing the flights all that I saw was the $99 charge x 4. that's all that was on the screen until I printed the receipt. Why would I pay an additional $1623 when that is $500 more then the original tickets cost. We where ripped off.

R

Realitoes

Hey Neil,
I would have purchased insurance for frontier but it is not available in Pa. and 5 other states. With booking way in advanced I would have done so. So that option I'm screwed.
Spirit offers insurance, and it also has about the same amount of flights leaving atlantic city as frontier does leaving trenton. when I was changing the flights all that I saw was the $99 charge x 4. that's all that was on the screen until I printed the receipt. Why would I pay an additional $1623 when that is $500 more then the original tickets cost. We where ripped off.
You don't have to purchase insurance through the airline. In my opinion, insurance or travel protection policies sold by airlines and travel provides are usually not very good for the cost. You can tailor and compare various travel insurance policy through site such as insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hey Neil,
If you're booking your own air, you need to meticulously study the website, every single page. Never use a phone, always use a computer with a BIG screen so you can see everything.

You must read it all ... when I'm booking flights, I set it all up, review it and depart the website. I come back the next day and do it all over again. I read it all 3 times before I hit the BUY button. I grab the confirmation the minute it arrives and double-check every aspect of what I've purchased. On the internet, you have no choice, nobody is there to help you.

If you can recreate the information you saw that gave you the much lesser amount, you have a good chance of winning a credit card dispute.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
9A4F919A-AE68-4897-A1AE-850323E92875.png
Hey Neil,
You can buy third party insurance in Pennsylvania. I sell it all - why Frontier wouldn’t you, I don’t know.

You didn’t pay the same amount for your tickets because you changed dates to a more expensive travel date. April 1 is Easter Sunday and one of the most expensive times you can travel. It costs more to travel then during the time you originally had.

I don’t know what the screens showed but if you had read the website before you changed you would have seen that you had to pay for the difference in airfare.

Did you call Frontier before you made the changes? This is really not the type to change you should make yourself. I can’t believe that when you chose new dates it didn’t show the price of the new flights.

Didn’t you have to go onto the calendar to choose the new dates and there were no fare prices showing?

Unfortunately- since you did this online yourself I don’t see anything that Frontier did wrong since they disclose in their section on changes section on the website that you pay the difference in fare.

I can’t recreate the screens because I don’t have an existing res. to change.

Have you ever made a change to airline tickets before? All airlines have the same policy for changes- a change fee (and some go up to $300 or more pp for a change so $99 is a bargain) plus any difference in fare.

You could ask Frontier to cancel your tickets and give you a credit to use less another cancellation fee and buy the other tickets but I believe that Frontier only allows you the credit for 3 months.

http://faq.flyfrontier.com/help/can-i-cancel-my-reservation