Frontier Airlines help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 14, 2016
Please don't respond to me in this way. I am not a child. I understand that airlines can charge whatever they want. That is what happened. My complaint is: How does Frontier get away with stating they are a low cost airline when they are obvious not?
Given that this was the option that came up as the least expensive on the booking website, it would appear the other carriers were at a higher cost. Moreover, the services you availed yourself to use like getting seat assignments in advance are technically optional.

I agree with your final sentence. I think "low cost" carriers are a bit of a misnomer. Their base fares are usually cheaper but they squeeze you on the back end with all sorts of fees. These fees are usually optional (like seat assignments, charging for carry ons) but if you choose to not use these features your trip is likely to be more unpleasant. Usually when you add these fees back in their ticket prices aren't significantly different than a mainline carrier. What's just as bad is most of these budget carriers have no interline agreements and fewer flights which means when something goes wrong the passenger is often stuck. But people select them for the same reason you did - the initial price.

This is one of those times where I think having a good TA could have helped. They would have been able to present your best options and informed you of these fees that you incurred prior to your booking the ticket. Low cost carriers don't hide their fees but unless you go looking they're an unpleasant surprise which is what happened here.

I'm sorry that we can't do anything to advocate but I understand and sympathize with your position.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Those booking websites do not have the latest fares and very often you will never find thegares they quote. If you try to actually book those dates you will see they aren't there.

They should only be used for research.

That's why the DOT found in the airlines favor. They did nothing wrong- the prices you paid were the advertised fare.

The DOT can force and airline to settle with a consumer IF the airline has done something illegal or outside of DOT rules. In this case, they didn't- the price was the price and you agreed to pay I by buying the tickets. Frontier seems like it's low cost until you actually go and add in seats cost, luggage cost, etc.

We are unable to do anything more for you here because the DOT has finished their investigation and found in the airlines favor.

All we can do is educate you on what happened and why I am afraid. The lesson to learn is not to use those aggravating sites because they don't have up to date info and they only look at base fare not luggage and seat fee.

I would suggest using a travel agent in the future. They can find you the best pricing and they will tell you about all the extra fees.

And Frontier gets away with it because people are willing to pay for an airline that is no frills. Delta and AA are offfering no frills seats too- as long as people are willing to buy these tickets, they will sell.

Jan 6, 2015
Excellent advice from @Kahhss and @Neil. While we cannot help you with this trip, I have some additional suggestions for future travel that might help.

1. Search at different time and days. I have seen airfare fluctuate wildly, even hours later. This is normal. If you're comfortable clearing cookies on your browser, you should do that in between searches as some have seen better prices when the site does not know about your prior searches.

2. Be flexible where possible. Sometimes a nearby airport can save hundreds and may alos have better schedules. We have driven 2-4 hours to obtain a better fit for our plans.

3. Search engines often do not include Southwest or Spirit, so always check those. Southwest does not charge a change fee, which we have taken advantage of several times.

4. Use SeatGuru.com prior to booking. They provide aircraft information that can help you decide on one vs. the other airline (i.e., seat pitch)

I hope this list is helpful ..

Jan 6, 2015
Great post. But just an FYI, if you think Frontier has a lot of add ons, Spirit is worse.
Agreed! My point was to "point out" that search engines do not include all options. Kayak once quoted my what I thought was high price for my brother, so I checked Frontier separately and save him about $600. Not sure what their algorithm is, but it's always good to check one-way flights as well.

And, to add one item which we have all said here many times, book through the travel provider when you can (if booking yourself). They are much easier to deal with for refunds, changes, etc. Online Travel Agencies add a layer to the process that proves difficult if not impossible to navigate toward a solution.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are 100% correct.

Elaine what day of the week were the return tickets?

Another thing to understand also is that very often the cost of the return tickets are more then the ticket to get where you are going so that probably has a lot to do with why it costs more. Were they returning on a Sunday by any chance? Sundays are the most expensive day to fly.

From her post, it sounds like she booked 10 tickets (she claimed the seat assignments were $9 each for a total of $90). So if the total cost of the tickets was $1740, that is $174 per ticket. That is not a lot for a one way.

Am I correct about it being for 10 people? Let us know what day of the week the return tickets were for, I'd like to recreate a booking and see what it would cost today.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I actually just tried to create a one way booking DSM to SNA, leaving on a Sunday in June and a Saturday in June. For coming home on a Saturday the price was $257 pp leaving Sunday and $227 pp leaving on a Saturday. That is before any add on.

I also tried SNA to DSM- flights were only $206 pp. so you can see going is cheaper than coming home. Same as if you had booked on United

So I think our writer received a good price if the tickets indeed were for 10 people. And as I said, often the returns are often priced higher.

Jan 6, 2015
It occurred to me just now that the SNA-DSM itinerary has a stop in DEN, so the $90 would be split into each leg correct? If so, that would mean 5 people in the family.

Jan 6, 2015
Looking on Frontier's website for SNA to DSM in May, I found no direct flights. Picking one entire week, they show only an overnight stay in DEN.

Looking at their Month view reveals that not only do prices vary by day of the week, but by day of the month. This is all normal.

That said, to the LWs point the return cost per person is almost $200 higher than United.

Jan 6, 2015
Agreed, and FYI I'm seeing only a $53 per person difference for May-Jun flights (DSM-SNA on UA vs. SNA-DSM on FR), including seat assignments and baggage fees.

Apr 4, 2017
You are 100% correct.

Elaine what day of the week were the return tickets?

Another thing to understand also is that very often the cost of the return tickets are more then the ticket to get where you are going so that probably has a lot to do with why it costs more. Were they returning on a Sunday by any chance? Sundays are the most expensive day to fly.

From her post, it sounds like she booked 10 tickets (she claimed the seat assignments were $9 each for a total of $90). So if the total cost of the tickets was $1740, that is $174 per ticket. That is not a lot for a one way.

Am I correct about it being for 10 people? Let us know what day of the week the return tickets were for, I'd like to recreate a booking and see what it would cost today.
They returned on a Saturday with a Saturday night layover in Denver. So, there was also a hotel charge. There were five people traveling, not ten.

Sep 20, 2017
I hope you can help. I have been writing back and forth with Dora at Frontier Customer Service but get no where. I contacted DOT who forwarded my complaint to Frontier. Again, no where. All I get are reasons why airfares fluctuate, etc. All their explanation is gibberish to me. I can never get a straightforward answer, an "I'm sorry," nothing.
In mid-January 2017, after searching for several weeks, I settled on an airfare for my daughter and her family to fly from DSM to SNA and return to DSM. The airfare was in conjunction with United Airlines. For booking, I had to first book directly with United. The total cost was $1,049. United did not charge any extra fees. Then I was directed to book directly with Frontier for the return flight. The airfare alone was $1,757, $708 more than United. Even though I didn't like the difference in price, I thought I had to continue the booking because it was in conjunction with the already booked United flight. During the booking procedure with Frontier, I realized that in order to keep my family (grandchildren with parents) together on the flight, I had to pay $9 per person per leg, a total of $90. At a later date I had to pay a fee of $175 for carry-ons. The total amount over what United charged is $973 for the same distance and the same airports. As an added feature, the Frontier flight was a less convenient flight because it was an overnight layover flight.
I have emails to back my correspondence with Frontier Airlines and DOT for your review, if necessary.

What's your desired resolution? A refund of $973, $708 for airfare and $265 seat & carry-on fees.

What's the value of your claim (in US $) $973

Date of transaction/travel date: 1/14/2017
You can contact the head of Customer Relations at Frontier Airlines to help resolve your issue. Her name is Trista Miller and phone # is 303-596-2755. Good luck!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can contact the head of Customer Relations at Frontier Airlines to help resolve your issue. Her name is Trista Miller and phone # is 303-596-2755. Good luck!
This thread is from April. Our letter writer is long gone.

In the future, if there has been more than a month since the last post on a thread you can usually assume the letter writer is long gone and not coming back to read any more information.