Frontier’s withdrawal from ARC complicates agent bookings

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 10, 2013
Frontier Airlines announced that it is withdrawing from ARC and staying with GDS at a minimal level, making it more difficult for travel agents (and possibly discouraging them) to book seats on the airline.

"As a result, agents booking through GDSs and corporate travelers using self-booking systems will be able to book only nonrefundable economy tickets. More flexible Classic Plus fares will only be available for purchase on the Frontier website.

Airline analyst Bob Mann said the moves were intended to save money on distribution, which he called 'a huge cost for every carrier and particularly … for a low-fare carrier.'"

Dec 26, 2014
ARC = ?
GDS = ?

I thought these were airport codes and wondered if TTN (Trenton, NJ) would be next if they were cutting service, so I clicked on the article for more details. Alas, the article is for the travel savvy folks, and the abbreviations are there without expansion upon first use. It appears they are some type of computer system. GDS may be the acronym I asked about in the early days of this forum.

Jul 10, 2013
I believe ARC=Airlines Reporting Corporation and GDS=Global Distribution System.

Travel agents, please correct me here.

Mar 9, 2015
ARC is an airline owned clearinghouse for reporting the sale of airline tickets.

GDS is a generic term for computer reservations systems used by travel agencies and airlines.