Frigidaire fridge inside wall cracks

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2019
This may seem minor to anyone else however its an issue for me. We purchased a Frigidaire refrigerator late summer of 2016 so it is barely 3 years old. I noticed over the weekend there are cracks on the inside wall of the fridge. I know this is not normal. I emailed to company who replied that maybe use some epoxy on it and it appears to be wear and tear. On the inside of the fridge? Im not throwing sledgehammers in there to cool soooo... I have a 20 year old fridge in my garage without cracks so not sure where the wear and tear comes in. In researching online it appears that customer service is a common issue with this company.
Fridge.jpg Fridge2.jpg

Sep 19, 2019
They stated it only was warrantied for 1 year. Im just baffled that this would happen after barely 3 years and they chalk it up to wear and tear. It is a side wall so Im not sure what kind of wear that is. Like I said I have a 20year old fridge in my garage that is crack free.

Jun 24, 2019
You need to find a copy of the warranty on your refrigerator, and not rely on what a customer service rep says on the phone. The actual written warranty may still leave you with questions, but that is the starting point to determine if the liner is under warranty or not. If you cannot find your warranty, trying searching for it on the internet. Watch the dates as Frigidaire changed its warranty in 2018. Those changes do not affect Frigidaire's obligations to you on a 2016 refrigerator.

Even if not under warranty, Frigidaire might be willing to amke some adjustment. But before writing I would want to know what the warranty actually says.

Sep 19, 2019
I pulled our warranty and it’s a basic warranty for one year with restrictions. No additional warranty for specific pieces. It is just ridiculous to me that something like this is chalked up to wear and tear. If it was a commercial or outdoor stores unit or even something with age I could understand.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I pulled our warranty and it’s a basic warranty for one year with restrictions. No additional warranty for specific pieces. It is just ridiculous to me that something like this is chalked up to wear and tear. If it was a commercial or outdoor stores unit or even something with age I could understand.
I understand your incredulity with such a dumb reason, Amanda, but that's not why they're telling you this. Their primary job is to get you to go away. Cracks on the interior of an appliance like this are not normal. You deserve better. Use our Company Contacts and contact them in writing. Be polite, persistent and patient.

Mar 14, 2018
This is a common problem caused by stress from shelf weight, thermal expansion, etc. (aka wear and tear).

It's relatively simple to fix yourself--just google "refrigerator liner repair." Refrigerator vendors also offer kits to do the repair.

Sep 19, 2019
I understand your incredulity with such a dumb reason, Amanda, but that's not why they're telling you this. Their primary job is to get you to go away. Cracks on the interior of an appliance like this are not normal. You deserve better. Use our Company Contacts and contact them in writing. Be polite, persistent and patient.
I did email all of the contacts listed on this site. Impatiently waiting for a response lol

Sep 19, 2019
This is a common problem caused by stress from shelf weight, thermal expansion, etc. (aka wear and tear).

It's relatively simple to fix yourself--just google "refrigerator liner repair." Refrigerator vendors also offer kits to do the repair.
I don’t understand how a cracked liner on the side wall of a three year old fridge is normal. There are no shelves attached on the top side of the fridge so it’s not stress cracks

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
What credit card did you buy it with? Some credit cards automatically extend the manufacturer's warranty. I agree, this is NOT supposed to happen.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
What credit card did you buy it with? Some credit cards automatically extend the manufacturer's warranty. I agree, this is NOT supposed to happen.
CC warranty extensions usually only double the manufacturer's warranty. I have not seen a card that goes beyond 3 years. For this type of coverage, you usually need to buy an extended warranty before the manufacturer's warranty expires. People were less likely to buy an extended warranty in the past for refrigerators because they used to be the simplest appliance you owned. Now the new ones have computers that order food and are some of the most complex appliances in the house (not that the OP's issue is a complex one).

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019
In 2017 we made the mistake of buying an entire kitchen of Frigidaire appliances. The laundry center developed severe seal and bearing issues and we were forced to replace it (after less than 2 years of use, outside warranty and after $100 tech inspection). The fridge was replaced by the vendor after numerous efforts to repair faulty insulation and water dispenser problems. The new fridge is now causing items (eggs, sour cream, milk etc.) to freeze if placed too far back or too high. Recently I received an offer to extend the warranty. I jumped on it signing up for an additional five years. The cost $800+ for 4 items. I hope I was not wrong to count on this coverage but at least the chances are I won't need it and I will have less worry about breakdown if something does go wrong. But something is pretty wrong when you pay good money for shoddy items.

Sep 27, 2018
Unfortunately, the quality of appliances has been on a nose dive for some years and just like in the airline industry, the cheap entrants end up dragging down all the players as the old line companies attempt to hold onto market share. This started with smaller appliances like dehumidifiers and microwaves, but has migrated to fridges and laundry. Now some of that reliability is due to computerization, but to pay for these computers, they cheapen the rest of the appliance. My guess is that this is driven by the fact that many appliances are sold by big box stores, where the goal is unit sales and having units with glitzy features so they sell themselves.

Jun 24, 2019
A long time ago I worked on a matter where I learned that about half the refrigerators in the country are bought by folks who do not pay the electric bill. They may be home buyers or renters, for example. Thus, providing energy efficiency information to the purchaser is not terrifically useful. In OP's instance, the pressure to have a low price to meet the demand of home builders and landlords works to cheapen the end procduct for those of us (like OP) who would like to focus on quality and durabilty as well as price.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
The simpler the appliance is, the less likely it is to have problems. I won't buy a refrigerator that even has an ice maker, for example. I have a bare bones Whirlpool that has a dial for the cold levels, and it works fine. Likewise my washing machine has no electronics - turn the dial, set the water level/temp, and those are the only two options. Computerized appliances have so many more ways of breaking.