"Free breakfast" st Graduate Hotel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 17, 2018
I am traveling out of state with a soccer team. The tournament requires us to book through the Sports Accommodations company. Working with their rep, we found a hotel that offers free breakfast - the Graduate in Tempe AS. About had of us checked in at 2 am Friday morning. We were told breakfast was served in the attached restaurant from 6:30 until 2 pm. The coach and I commented on how that was unheard of for a hotel breakfast. When we came down at 10 am we were told the free breakfast is in a different location and only served until 9. So we had breakfast in the restaurant next door but had to pay for it. I complained to the desk staff and their response was to slip instructions under my door with times and location. I then talked to a manager who admitted there wasn't good signage but said he can't refund us for the meal because 1. They only serve free breakfast until 9. 2. They communicated that to Sports Accomodatioms and 3. Because they give a portion of our payment to Sports Accommodations the hotel can't afford to give me a refund. (I covered the coat for all of the meals so there would only be one person talking to them). But we were offered free drink coupons! What should I try now? I think the hotel owes me $196.47 for 14 breakfasts I had to buy. As I pointed out to hotel management, if we knew breakfast ended at 9 we would have had the players get up, eat and go back to bed. But thinking we had until 2, we told them to sleep in. Thanks for your help.

Jan 6, 2015
The hotel should, I think back up the words of its staff. And for item 2. above, if that is true Sports Accommodations should have informed you.. So I have three questions:
  1. Did Sports Accommodations advise you?
  2. Have you contacted them to establish the veracity of the hotel's claim?
  3. What is the name (brand) of the hotel?

Feb 17, 2018
Sports Accommodations did not say anything other than breakfast was included.
Sports Accommodations are not available on weekends and I didn't hear the excuse that they should have told us until after close of business of Friday.
We are The Graduate - a newer chain located near college campuses.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You definitely have a case here ... either the hotel or SA should take care of this breakfast bill. I have always had weird experiences with hotel breakfasts. I don't get hungry early, so if I'm told that breakfast is served until 11am, I show up at 1045. But I find that hotel people often have 4 different stories about times for breakfast. I now phone the restaurant the first morning (or show up before 9am) to ask for the 'real information'.

VoR, as usual, has provided you with excellent specific information to pursue your reimbursement request. Hotels need to learn that they can't just blame the guest when they have given out conflicting information in the first place. It seems to happen in hotels at every price level. Good luck and let us know what transpires.

Sep 19, 2015
Is there a chance that there was a miscommunication when arriving at 2 am? Once it was found out that there was no breakfast available, was there an attempt to speak to the manager before spending the money at a restaurant? Is the breakfast at the restaurant the same as what was included in the rate? It sounds as if the restaurant may be a separate business and that is why the breakfast was served elsewhere and that may complicate issues.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am confused- are you saying that you were told you had to pay for the breakfast the first time you ate and you continued to do that for 13 more days instead of asking the what the free breakfast hours were?

You say you had 14 breakfasts- am I misinterpretating your complaint?

Sep 19, 2015
Ok I think I may have an idea what happened -- the restaurant (the Normal Diner) has breakfast and lunch served between 6 and 2 everyday, which is not the included breakfast. Could the hotel clerk thought you were asking about the restaurant hours, or did the clerk seem new or tired?

Jan 6, 2015
Neil, I read the coach's post to mean that there were 14 team members who needed breakfast the first day. Thus $196 divided by 14 = $14 per person ...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil, I read the coach's post to mean that there were 14 team members who needed breakfast the first day. Thus $196 divided by 14 = $14 per person ...
Thank you. I didn’t think I could have been reading that right.

Also, every hotel usually has a booklet in the room with all the hotel information in it. The information on the hours and the place should have been listed.

However- I agree with VoR - I think you should write to Customer Service at the chain because you were given incorrect information by the clerk at check in.

Jan 6, 2015
Good catch Neil. I didn't think about the booklet. However, who reads that at 2AM? And as we both stated, when the front desk says it, who will question that?

Plus the booklet could be wrong too!

Feb 17, 2018
I am confused- are you saying that you were told you had to pay for the breakfast the first time you ate and you continued to do that for 13 more days instead of asking the what the free breakfast hours were?

You say you had 14 breakfasts- am I misinterpretating your complaint?

Feb 17, 2018
14 of us are at the diner the first day and got our butts down at 8 for subsequent days. But as the manager traveling with 13 boys who thought their breakfast was free, I covered the cost.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Good catch Neil. I didn't think about the booklet. However, who reads that at 2AM? And as we both stated, when the front desk says it, who will question that?

Plus the booklet could be wrong too!
I agree about reading at 2 am. Another part of the problem is that the organization that planned this should have provided a pamphlet with information on the hotel with all this information. I don’t think the writer is out of line asking for a refund.

Feb 17, 2018
The Normal Dinner is where we ate. The hotel does not usually offer a free breakfast - it is specific to the teams in this tournament. We didnt ask where breakfast was, the info was offered. Since the hotel gave us the rules for sports teams they definitely knew who we were.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The Normal Dinner is where we ate. The hotel does not usually offer a free breakfast - it is specific to the teams in this tournament. We didnt ask where breakfast was, the info was offered. Since the hotel gave us the rules for sports teams they definitely knew who we were.
Then they really owe you a refund in my opinion. Use the Customer Service email that VoR provided and also go to our help screens and request that someone research and see if they can find the Executive contacts for the hotel too as you may have to go further up to get satisfaction.

Dec 11, 2016
The hotel does not usually offer a free breakfast - it is specific to the teams in this tournament. We didnt ask where breakfast was, the info was offered. Since the hotel gave us the rules for sports teams they definitely knew who we were.
Ah, this suddenly makes more sense. So the hotel does not normally offer a free breakfast, it is something that was specially set up for a portion of the guests. Just because the hotel knew the teams had special accommodations, doesn't mean the overnight front desk had this information. It sounds like the front desk provided standard information about where and when breakfast was available, which had nothing to do with the special terms your team was receiving.

So why didn't Sports Accommodations provide better information? Or why didn't the hotel have a page/pamphlet/whatever of information that was unique to your party?

Lastly, was this issue brought up with a manager before eating at the restaurant and getting the bill? I would think the time to resolve the issue was before paying a nearly $200 breakfast bill at a restaurant which may not necessarily be owned and operated by the hotel.

Jan 6, 2015
Khuna has stated "Since the hotel gave us the rules for sports teams they definitely knew who we were". Considering that, I seems reasonable to me that the answer to Khuna's question about breakfast should have been about the "free" one ...