Fraud

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 30, 2019
I went to Rome in June, and I rented a car, plus insurance through booking.com and rentalcover.com I paid it in full months prior to my arrival in Rome, on June 24, 2019.

When I picked up the car at Hertz, the agent offered me insurance, I told him that I didn't want more insurance, because I had already bought full coverage.

I gave him my credit card so that they could take the 200 EUR deposit in case of an accident , as stated on the contract with rentalcover.com which they never even took.

Instead, they charged me 675.88 EUR on the date that I returned the car, July 27, unbeknown to me. I saw the charge on my credit card when I returned home.

I did sign, but I thought that I was signing the 200EUR Deposit, which I repeat, they never even took, and that is a sign of irresponsible and unprofessional behaviour.

I would have never knowingly signed such a contract, I was very clear with the agent, that I did not want the extra car rental insurance.

I disputed the charge from Hertz for the extra insurance of 675.88EUR with my credit company, and I also wrote to Hertz, attaching my contract with booking.com for

CA $786.79, and rental cover.com for CA$226.57 for a total of CA$ 1013.36 proving that I already had insurance.

At this point, it is just my word against theirs — along with the mind-boggling illogic of paying CAN $1000.00 for insurance coverage that I already had.

This is the agent taking advantage of a customer who is very tired after a long flight.

I got off an overnight flight extremely tired, and the agent, after telling him that I did not want insurance, he says initial here and here, and sign here.

I admit I didn't read carefully, and assumed that my clearly expressed wishes had been followed.

But you can be sure I will be much more careful in the future. In the meantime, I hope you can help recover the money from Hertz.

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A lot of questions- did you pre-pay the rental or were you supposed to pay when you returned the car?

What did you sign at pickup? Do you have a copy of the agreement you signed do we can see if you initialed to buy their coverage, despite telling them you didn’t want it?

Did you dispute the charge with your credit card company? If so, what was the result?

Oct 30, 2019
They sent me a copy of what I signed, but I repeat, I didn't read it, because I thought it was clear that I didn't want the insurance, so I trusted the agent. I thought I was signing the 200eur deposit which they never even took. Yes I disputed the charge with the credit company and Hertz, they said "sorry, but you signed"

May 1, 2018
You can appeal your case directly to the Hertz contact here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hertz/
Don't start with the CEO or send your request to all the executives at once. Start with the primary contact and then work your way down the list leaving a week in between.

I would focus your appeal on telling them you had already purchased a 3rd party insurance and verbally declined the Hertz insurance so you did not expect to be charged. Keep it factual and polite - accusing them of fraud or being illogical will not help you.

Also, the credit card dispute was a bad move and could be your downfall. You should call your credit card company and stop the chargeback asap. Since you do admit you signed the rental agreement, Hertz has all the evidence they need to win a chargeback. Hertz execs won't touch your case if they win a chargeback against.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They sent me a copy of what I signed, but I repeat, I didn't read it, because I thought it was clear that I didn't want the insurance, so I trusted the agent. I thought I was signing the 200eur deposit which they never even took. Yes I disputed the charge with the credit company and Hertz, they said "sorry, but you signed"
And that’s where you are going to have a problem. You are responsible for reading what you signed. NEVER ever sign anything without reading it. That’s exactly why you lost the dispute.

We have company contacts for Hertz that Dan referred you to. This is how to write- please read if fully and follow the directions for writing- start at the bottom and write one at a time leaving a week in between each email.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

I’m not sure if you can change the outcome - you signed the contract.

Oct 30, 2019
I already lost the the credit card dispute, because Hertz sent a copy of the contract that I signed. I admit signing it, but like I said, I trusted that the agent understood that I didn't want the insurance. I paid it. I am asking for a refund. I saw an identical case on this forum, that is why I wrote here. I know I shouldn't have signed. I was tired and trusted the agent...

Oct 30, 2019
And that’s where you are going to have a problem. You are responsible for reading what you signed. NEVER ever sign anything without reading it. That’s exactly why you lost the dispute.

We have company contacts for Hertz that Fan referrer you to. This is how to write- please read if fully and follow the directions for writing- start at the bottom and write one at a time leaving a week in between each email.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

The lady with the identical case, also signed the contract, trusting the agent, and received a refund... she wrote to the CEO. I wrote to the cheaf executive and the email came back. Do you have an email? Thank you.

Oct 30, 2019

We have company contacts for Hertz that Fan referrer you to. This is how to write- please read if fully and follow the directions for writing- start at the bottom and write one at a time leaving a week in between each email.

Thank you for the link, I will try to contact them again. Let me ask you : the fact that they didn't take the 200 eur deposit, isn't it a sign that they didn't respect my contract?
Also, don't you think that they should have charged me at the beginning of the rental, not at the end, when I returned the car?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
https://www.elliott.org/travel-problems/extra-car-rental-insurance-surprise-update/

This is the identical case as mine, and she received a refund. Please let me know who she contacted. Thank you so much!
You need to follow the instructions on writing to Hertz. I would cite that column in my letter - as the article states, we couldn’t do much because the woman signed the agreement but I believe that the story was seen by the car rental company and that’s why they refunded her.

Please read the link I posted earlier on how to write- you must start at Customer Service and move up the executive list one by one leaving a week in between letters. Do NOT start with the CEO.

if you find any emails that bounce back please complete this form so we can get them updated:
https://www.elliott.org/add-a-company/

We don’t have a full time research volunteer who can update every contact - we need readers to report inaccurate information so we can update the site.

May 1, 2018
Let me ask you : the fact that they didn't take the 200 eur deposit, isn't it a sign that they didn't respect my contract?
The coverage you purchased was through "RentalCover.com" - this is a 3rd party company not related to Hertz in any way. As such, any contractual conditions you agreed to when buying insurance from RentalCover.com is not binding for Hertz. Hertz is not obligated to "respect" a contract they were not party to. They are not required to collect a 200 eur deposit just because some unrelated 3rd party told you they would.

Oct 30, 2019
The coverage you purchased was through "RentalCover.com" - this is a 3rd party company not related to Hertz in any way. As such, any contractual conditions you agreed to when buying insurance from RentalCover.com is not binding for Hertz. Hertz is not obligated to "respect" a contract they were not party to. They are not required to collect a 200 eur deposit just because some unrelated 3rd party told you they would.
Got it, so I guess renting a car from a third party is a bad idea. I thought that a third party is like an agency, like when you book a flight. They are connected to the airline and guarantee all the booking details for you.

May 1, 2018
Got it, so I guess renting a car from a third party is a bad idea. I thought that a third party is like an agency, like when you book a flight. They are connected to the airline and guarantee all the booking details for you.
Renting through an online travel agency like Priceline (parent company of RentalCars.com) is generally not a great idea. If you're going to rent online, 9/10 times you're better off booking directly with the rental car company, airline, or hotel. These online booking sites take your money and provide no after sales support when things go wrong. And the actual travel provider (like Hertz in this case) is more likely to de-prioritize you because they see you more as a RentalCars.com customer who will take the cheapest option offered, rather than a loyal Hertz repeat customer.

Renting through a third party who is professional travel agent like @Neil Maley is a good idea. A good professional agent will be there for you and advocate on your behalf when things go sideways.

Jun 24, 2019
Using a third party may add a level of complexity if the third party is not prepared to go to bat for you. In this case, it appears that the third party, rentalcover, was not an agent and not connected to Hertz in any way. Booking.com is an agent (of sorts) and is, I believe, authorized to book Hertz rentals. And, indeed, with your reservation from Booking.Com a Hertz car was available for you when you arrived. That is what Booking.Com promised. RentalCover apparently promised to provide insurance coverage for you, but your post suggests that there is no covered claim by anyone, so you don't need insurance, rentalcover or Hertz, to respond to a claim. The issue is that you signed a contract which provided for duplicate insurance coverage to the coverage you already had, a waste of money.

You ought to use the contacts here, in the manner suggested, and see if Hertz will let you off the hook. A little contrition, i.e., tired, did not read contract, etc. may help. Labeling the problem "fraud" will likely get you nowhere. And while you may have been tired, etc., upon arrival, you ought to be prepared to explain why you did not review the bill upon return of the car. I'm not sure the Hertz location would have provided any satisfaction at that point, but you will need to address why you waited until you returned home to check the bill.

Oct 30, 2019
Using a third party may add a level of complexity if the third party is not prepared to go to bat for you. In this case, it appears that the third party, rentalcover, was not an agent and not connected to Hertz in any way. Booking.com is an agent (of sorts) and is, I believe, authorized to book Hertz rentals. And, indeed, with your reservation from Booking.Com a Hertz car was available for you when you arrived. That is what Booking.Com promised. RentalCover apparently promised to provide insurance coverage for you, but your post suggests that there is no covered claim by anyone, so you don't need insurance, rentalcover or Hertz, to respond to a claim. The issue is that you signed a contract which provided for duplicate insurance coverage to the coverage you already had, a waste of money.

You ought to use the contacts here, in the manner suggested, and see if Hertz will let you off the hook. A little contrition, i.e., tired, did not read contract, etc. may help. Labeling the problem "fraud" will likely get you nowhere. And while you may have been tired, etc., upon arrival, you ought to be prepared to explain why you did not review the bill upon return of the car. I'm not sure the Hertz location would have provided any satisfaction at that point, but you will need to address why you waited until you returned home to check the bill.
Thanks for the advice...

Oct 30, 2019
I wanted to let you know that after writing an email to Hertz like I was advised in this forum, I finally received a refund. I cited the column of the other identical case as mine, and someone responded two days later.
I am so relieved.
Thank you!!!