Fraud claim being kicked around between chase and paypal

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 6, 2019
Hi I submitted a fraud claim within 60 days of the statement date of a large fraudulent transaction from my bank account. Chase has been reviewing the claim for months and seemingly is not interested in helping me get the money back even though i believe I should be entitilted to it. I believe they’re saying because of a small transfer of a few cents the month prior that i didn’t notice I’m not within the 60 day period. I’m not even sure if that’s the case because they rarely have any useful information and are incredibly vague. PayPal for their part said the funds are available for an ACH pullback on a call although since then have been less helpful in calls. I believe part of the banks claim is that if they had been notified of the first tiny transactions future fraud would’ve been prevented however after i closed the affected account i opened a new one and that one had fraud on it as well which i reported immediately so I don’t know how they can claim that. Anybody have experience with filing a complaint with consumer finance protection bureau?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I hate to say it but Chase is correct. You needed to have reported those small transfers- that’s exactly the how the fraudsters get ready for the big one- they wait until the 60 days is up and no chargeback has been received and then hit the account.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The Fraud Department at Chase is very much alive and active. They will give you very little information. The bad guys are doing exactly what Neil outlines and escaping because they're clever. It sounds like Chase is giving you information that you don't understand ... the "few cents" kinds of hits on your checking account are a time-tested way of verifying an account. I would ask a family member or friend to review your situation and perhaps give you some input into what Chase is telling you.

Jun 6, 2019
Thanks the fraud was actually within the first 60 days of the initial transaction so as I read the law I’m not liable. But chase keeps sending the claim back to PayPal and they aren’t responding (from chase customer service) I’m considering how long until I file a regulatory complaint

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks the fraud was actually within the first 60 days of the initial transaction so as I read the law I’m not liable. But chase keeps sending the claim back to PayPal and they aren’t responding (from chase customer service) I’m considering how long until I file a regulatory complaint
Have you used our company contacts for both?

You should also file a complaint with the CFPB. We had another consumer here who had contacted the CFPB before writing here and had her problem solved. We don’t know if it was us or the CFPB that did it but it was resolved for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 10, 2019
Have you considered filing an Arbitration Demand against Chase? It will cost Chase at least $5k to Arbitrate the case whereas it won't cost you anything as the consumer.