Foreign Auto Insurance When Traveling

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 19, 2018
My wife and I are traveling to England and renting a car for about 3 weeks this summer. Although we lived in England for almost 5 years, and have rented cars in a variety of European countries, we are always confused and uncertain concerning what additional auto insurance we should obtain from the rental company, if any. The question I have is this: what coverage would our domestic auto insurance, plus the coverage provided by our credit card, provide us, and do you recommend buying additional coverage?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your US car insurance might not offer you any coverage outside the US.

Have you called your insurance company and credit card and asked if they have coverage and if so, what kind? That is your first step.

What you need to make sure you have is comprehensive coverage in case you have an accident.

Jan 6, 2015
One other approach is to purchase all the coverage they offer. That way if there is a damage claim you will not be contesting it from your home country, which is always tricky.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@VoR61 that's what we did in Warnemunde, Germany. Purchased all the insurance and the fill up when we got back. I was traveling with my parents and they didn't want to have to deal with any of that.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My wife and I are traveling to England and renting a car for about 3 weeks this summer. Although we lived in England for almost 5 years, and have rented cars in a variety of European countries, we are always confused and uncertain concerning what additional auto insurance we should obtain from the rental company, if any. The question I have is this: what coverage would our domestic auto insurance, plus the coverage provided by our credit card, provide us, and do you recommend buying additional coverage?
Excellent question, Phillip. Just check with your auto insurer - AAA has always covered me in whatever I'm driving, but I have a large deductible. Now, I have primary rental coverage through the Chase Sapphire card as a perk, so that's an easy process - I know this because I managed to smash the cargo window out of an Avis SUV in Minneapolis right after I got the card, and Chase was a piece of cake to deal with.

Be sure you understand exactly what kind of coverage you're getting when driving a rental in Europe. And while we're at it, have you verified that your health care insurance will be valid while you're travelling out of the US? Can't believe how many years I travelled to Europe with no health insurance. How about emergency medical evacuation insurance? We have an annual policy from MedJet and wouldn't leave home without it.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Paying the whole amount of optional insurance is very expensive. In the UK, I use the credit card insurance although there was a deductible with the card I used at the time. I don't know if all cards are the same from that perspective. If I remember correctly, there is, like in the USA, mandatory liability coverage although it's not particularly high. I do know that credit card insurance doesn't cover liability insurance anywhere.