Ford Motor Company

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 28, 2018
I have been without my brand new car for over 30 days and Ford keeps telling me there is nothing they can do for me.
Date(s) Issue Result Ford's Response
1/19/2018 wont come out of park Car towed to Liberty Ford Parma n/a
Told there was nothing wrong

1/27/18 - 1/29/18 wont come out of park Car towed to Libery Ford Brunswick Ford will open a case for me
Told I spilled coffee in drive shaft
*note, shaft is covered

1/30/18 - 2/13/18 wont come out of park Brought back to Liberty Ford Brunswick that I am lucky dealership is giving me car to drive
Told they took apart drive shaft and cleaned it thanked me for being loyal customer

2/16/18 - current wont come out of park Dealership driver couldn’t get car out of park that I am lucky dealership is giving me car to drive
Told they needed to order a part which may take a few months thanked me for being loyal customer
Acknowledged it isn't "coffee"

I have not been able to drive my brand new car for a total of 29 days as of today
2/27/18: responded that the part could be in between now and mid-April. They don’t owe me anything and I don’t qualify for anything from Ford

Feb 28, 2018
I live in Ohio. I did contact an attorney but not sure its going to be much use. Ford is completely screwing me over stating because it wasnt in for an actual repair, it was diagnostic it wouldnt count as lemon :-(

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@aekwhite Here's the link to the Ohio Attorney General's website http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...s/Consumer-Tips/Consumer-Tips-Auto/Lemon-Laws

Here's somethings to take note of...
OHIO’S LEMON LAW
You are covered by Ohio’s Lemon Law if the problems with your new motor vehicle occurred in the first 12 months or first 18,000 miles, whichever comes first. If you have problems with your vehicle during this protection period, take the vehicle back to the dealer or the manufacturer and ask them to fix it. The manufacturer has a reasonable opportunity to fix the problem.

If the problem is not corrected, you might be eligible for a refund or replacement. You are covered by the Lemon Law even if the problem was discovered late in the protection period, and the repair attempts may extend beyond the protection period (first year or first 18,000 miles, whichever comes first).
HAS THE MANUFACTURER HAD A REASONABLE OPPORTUNITY TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE?
If you can answer “yes” to any of the following four questions, the manufacturer is presumed to have had a reasonable opportunity to repair your vehicle under Ohio law.
  • Has the vehicle been in the shop for a cumulative total of 30 days or more during its first year or 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first?
  • Has one unsuccessful attempt been made to fix a problem that could cause death or serious injury?
Seem to me that you might qualify now. You'd definitely qualify if they don't get the part until mid April. Follow up with your attorney. FYI - The above website states "in the shop" so the diagnostic vs repair doesn't matter.

Have at it.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What an awful mess. I'd be beside myself. This is an off-the-wall idea, but sometimes cars just lock up when the wheels are turned a certain way, or the front tires are up against a curb. Three times since I bought my Armada I've had to wrestle the steering wheel around (twice getting out and literally rocking the truck a bit) until I got the steering wheel to move. Once the wheel moved even a tiny bit, the truck was driveable. It's part of some anti-theft thing I think.

I have absolutely zero faith in dealerships' service departments. Is it possible you could find a good independent mechanic to have a look? That's how I solved a major issue with my last truck after the dealer looked at it 6 times over 3 years and couldn't find a problem. In my case, there was a pinhole leak in the windshield gasket which put too much moisture into the gem module when the weather was cold and wet. Just enough to short out the ignition/battery. My mechanic had a hunch, so his guys blasted the truck with water for an hour and diagnosed it. A dealership would never do that. In fact, the dealership would find a 'different issue' every time I brought him in, which resulted in another $100 deductible payment on my so-called service insurance. What a racket!

Jun 27, 2017
I had a similar problem with my 1986 Chrysler LeBaron. It was a standard shift. On repeated occasions when I put it in reverse, it would lock up and wouldn't move. It could go forward, but not backward. Took it to two different Chrysler dealers in our city where it was repeatedly "fixed." After one so-called "fix" at the dealer, I started to leave and it locked up again. And yes, I was charged for this, that and the other -- even while under the so-called "automaker warranty." Finally I took it to a great mechanic who discovered there was some sort of design flaw in the gear box. He remade the gear box, replaced a sliced cable and I never had the problem again. I sold it several years later when it had over 100,000 miles.