Ford dealership

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2015
Paladin I know only from anecdotes that there are residents in NYC that have their car licensed, registered and insured in other states but the car lives in NYC because of lower insurance premiums and lower registration fees. I see the same out of state cars parked in the neighborhood for months on end. Is NY bothering to do anything about it? No, there are too many other problems so no enforcement.

My guess is that FL has the rule on the books because of under insured or non insured drivers

FL has a lot of second home real estate.

Do let us know what you find out, I am always interested in learning: not sure I would ever be a snowbird to FL but it could happen.

Sep 22, 2015
Paladin I know only from anecdotes that there are residents in NYC that have their car licensed, registered and insured in other states but the car lives in NYC because of lower insurance premiums and lower registration fees. I see the same out of state cars parked in the neighborhood for months on end. Is NY bothering to do anything about it? No, there are too many other problems so no enforcement.

My guess is that FL has the rule on the books because of under insured or non insured drivers

FL has a lot of second home real estate.

Do let us know what you find out, I am always interested in learning: not sure I would ever be a snowbird to FL but it could happen.
Your comments are quite accurate. In Minnesota, after you have lived 60 days you are required to register your vehicle here

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
We have issues with this in St Louis. We have to pay personal property tax on our vehicles each year in order to keep current registration. Many people register their vehicles in Illinois in order to avoid this. Very frustrating as a city resident because the city could definitely use the money.

Sep 22, 2015
We have issues with this in St Louis. We have to pay personal property tax on our vehicles each year in order to keep current registration. Many people register their vehicles in Illinois in order to avoid this. Very frustrating as a city resident because the city could definitely use the money.
People have tried that here also by registering their vehicles in North Dakoto. At one time the Minnesota State Patrol had a special unit to enforce our statues.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I do not doubt what you say but there has to be a misinterpretation here somewhere. If that were true can you imagine how many hundreds of thousands of snowbirds are in violation of Florida law? State laws has many exceptions and/or chapters that apply to only specific situations. I am going to research this further.
I read the link you provided and it does indeed state that. However, I have sent an inquiry to the Florida Attorney Generals office for clarification.
If I receive a reply I will post it
This is great, Paladin and Christina. Nobody ever thinks about these things, so it is good to learn about something that most of us will never encounter.

Jun 27, 2017
Jeweline said her MAIN state of residence is Florida. She holds a Florida driver's license. Kansas is where her SECOND residence is located. Her current auto insurance is issued for Kansas. She bought her new car in Kansas but wants to register it in Florida. But the auto dealer in Kansas gave her incorrect information about the cost to register her new vehicle in Florida. Can she go back and register her car in Kansas where the car was purchased, even though Kansas is her second residence? Hope to read what Paladin1758 finds out from the Florida AG.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Jeweline said her MAIN state of residence is Florida. She holds a Florida driver's license. Kansas is where her SECOND residence is located. Her current auto insurance is issued for Kansas. She bought her new car in Kansas but wants to register it in Florida. But the auto dealer in Kansas gave her incorrect information about the cost to register her new vehicle in Florida. Can she go back and register her car in Kansas where the car was purchased, even though Kansas is her second residence? Hope to read what Paladin1758 finds out from the Florida AG.
Then the question I have is why was her other car registered and insured in Kansas instead of Florida? Was it due to cost of insuring in Kansas?

Sep 19, 2015
Neil FL has high car insurance rates, or so I have been told by people that live down there. So it is lower sales tax but higher insurance. Olathe Kansas has a 9.4% sales tax but the FL city has about a 7%.

The KS dealer gave an idea of the sales tax that would have to be paid -- a car dealer has no idea what someone's insurance costs would be.

The insurance and licensing need to be where the car spends its time -- people in NYC that have vacation homes elsewhere often have cars in those places (neighbors have a place in FL) and do not bring the car to NYC (apartment living and not wanting to park on the street with all the restrictions and risk of tickets) -- so the car is registered and insured and kept at the vacation home and does not enter NY.

This sounds more like someone keeping insurance in a non resident state because of cost of insurance, not because the car does not enter the resident state.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Most of our snow bird friends that spend more time in FL than NY have their cars registered and insured in FL. Our insurance rates are high in NY and they all claim it’s cheaper than registering and insuring in NY. I guess it depends on where you live.