Ford Dealership Forced Warranty Scam

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 3, 2016
In the future , always ask for a one page summary of all charges that total to what you are planning on paying/financing before actually buying the car. Any dealership worth buying from will do this. Otherwise think about going elsewhere.

Feb 3, 2019
Car salesmen are really the scum of the earth.
It's unwarranted, unfair, and inappropriate to call members of any profession "scum of the earth" based on the unethical business practices of some.

While I also am dismayed that such practices seem to be so widespread within this specific industry, it's not like we're talking about human traffickers here.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It's unwarranted, unfair, and inappropriate to call members of any profession "scum of the earth" based on the unethical business practices of some.

While I also am dismayed that such practices seem to be so widespread within this specific industry, it's not like we're talking about human traffickers here.
I have also been helped by salespeople that were very honest. NEVER sign any type of paperwork without reading every sentence. This should be a cautionary tale about reading before signing- I’m sure the OP would have noticed this if he had read the entire thing. If they are rushing you to sign paperwork, that’s the time to pull back and take your time. YOU control the lease or sake and it’s your obligation to understand once you sign you are agreeing to the terms of the paperwork.

Jul 26, 2019
Although not ideal for you, this does seem to be the best solution.
As @weihlac mentioned earlier, since $2011.13 comes off principle, this will also reduce your interest (though at 0.9%, the interest accrual will be minimal), thus more of your payment will go towards principle, effectively saving you 5 payments at the end.
Ford Motor Credit isn't trying to "pad" your loan. They wrote your loan for a specific amount (based on the paperwork submitted by the dealer). They can't just lower the payment without re-writing the loan, thus, the monthly payment won't change.

Please, please, please get IN WRITING, documentation that your warranty has been canceled and the credit has been applied towards your principle!

As for the dealer, they need to be called out. At best, it was a misunderstanding *COUGH* yeah right, and that is what the dealer will probably respond with.
I don’t think you understood what I was saying. I’m not accusing FMC of padding my loan, I’m talking about the dealership. Also I said I know that canceling it will reduce my Principal Balance. FMC has been very helpful, not upset with them at all.

Jul 26, 2019
I have also been helped by salespeople that were very honest. NEVER sign any type of paperwork without reading every sentence. This should be a cautionary tale about reading before signing- I’m sure the OP would have noticed this if he had read the entire thing. If they are rushing you to sign paperwork, that’s the time to pull back and take your time. YOU control the lease or sake and it’s your obligation to understand once you sign you are agreeing to the terms of the paperwork.
Agree, but still doesn’t make it right.

Jul 26, 2019
You did not want the extend warranty and even told them so how did it escape your attention when it was time to sign? You should have never signed until you were satisfied that it’s not written into the contract. Apparently you allowed Ryan to take control and got you signing.
My post asks "what would you do" but thanks for your opinion. I am well aware that I should of went over the contract with a fine tooth comb. The contract does not specify what the charge is for. I was not told about what I purchased. When I did ask what the charge was for first they pretended they didn't know it took 24 hours and a trip back to the dealership to find out. Then they lied about why they tied it into my loan in the first place. They should of re wrote the loan at 0.9% not 3.9%. Offering me that is another lie as I have already confirmed I am approved for 0.9%. I am a business owner myself and my customers know exactly what they are buying because I do not lie to them. When a customer says they don't want something I don't try to sneak it into their bag.

Jul 26, 2019
You did not want the extend warranty and even told them so how did it escape your attention when it was time to sign? You should have never signed until you were satisfied that it’s not written into the contract. Apparently you allowed Ryan to take control and got you signing.
This is a quote for the TRUTH in Lending Act.

• Inadequate disclosure: The practice of failing to fully disclose or explain the true costs and risks of loan transactions.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I just want to add this is the third new car we have bought from them in three years. They never deceived me before so I thought I was in good hands.
I'll be willing to place a small bet that this is the LAST car you buy from them in the next 3 decades. They seem to be shady and not very bright if they are pulling this type of stunt on someone buying their third car from them.

Feb 3, 2019
I just want to add this is the third new car we have bought from them in three years. They never deceived me before so I thought I was in good hands.
Dang! You're exactly the kind of customer they should be tripping over themselves to keep happy!

Were you dealing with the same sales team as on your prior purchases? Has there been a change in management or ownership since you bought your last car from that dealer? I can't imagine the same individuals under the same leadership would suddenly turn sketchy, so I hope there's been some fundamental change since your last interactions with them that might help explain (but of course, not excuse) their new and unwelcome practices.

The dealership website gives the owner's name as Gary Ackerman. You may want to restructure and simplify your story to make it more straightforward and send it to him directly - and I'd lead with the fact that you're a repeat customer whose recent experience is completely out of keeping with the professionalism and customer care you've had before.

Jul 26, 2019
I have good news! I went back in to the dealership on Friday to cancel the warranty. I met with the manager that I have worked with in the past. He offered to rewrite the deal the way it should of been to begin with. I was Leary of his offer and explained to him what my next moves would be if they tried to screw me over again. I told him all of my options ie: Attorney General, DMV, Ford, and local news. He apologized and promised they would take care of everything on Wednesday (today). I have been out of town the last few days and on Friday the business office was already closed. Long story short today I resigned the deal at 0.9% interest and got the payment I wanted. I must admit I was looking forward to filing my complaints and getting justice. I may still follow through with the complaints just so they really think twice before they do this to someone else.

This all worked out because of all of your great advice!
Thank you everyone!

Nov 1, 2017
This. There a hundreds of thousands of cars for sale and car dealers everywhere. You can always walk ! What they try to do is drag the process out so you feel if you do, you will have wasted a lot of time. That's better than wasting a lot of money !