Forced to miss flight because weather, AA program of reduced hotel costs for over night not offered

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 13, 2015
Missed flight due to weather. AA never offered their reduces hotel cost for this. Can I still request they pay for the hotel amount they offer as a reimbursement in cash to me?
Ike Semaya

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Let me ask for some details:

- When did this occur?

- Did AA cancel the flight due to weather (or did you miss it due to weather getting to the terminal ... sorry if this is a dumb question)

- Did you then leave the terminal and stay at a hotel? Were AA reps seeing passengers and offering hotel or meal vouchers?

We have some very savvy air agents on this Forum and they'll be happy to discuss this issue as long as they have the info. Thanks for writing.

Aug 28, 2015
AA will not give you cash back, to make up for an unoffered voucher. I am also not sure of the difference in regular hotel cost vs discount voucher. Would the savings be $20? If the other air experts, here on the forum, determine that you were entitled to a hotel discount voucher, based upon the additional facts you provide, then I guess you can start letter writing up the chain ( staff will tell you how ). If you do that then request a future credit, not cash. I personally think this is a dead end situation. Good luck with this!
Here is the AA policy:
Spending The Night Away From Home

When bad weather causes a cancellation and a delay stretches overnight, we can help defray some unexpected expenses. A “distressed passenger rate” voucher – good for a discounted rate at an available local hotel – is distributed by customer service agents to you for overnight accommodations. The discounted room charge and incidental charges (such as meals, telephone calls, transportation, etc.) are not covered by the airline and are at the traveler’s expense.

Other options :

• Check AA.com for overnight options in the area.
  • See whether the airport you are in has a phone bank for local hotel and transportation options. (Tip: Some hotels provide a free shuttle service to and from the airport.)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Ike, have you determined the cost difference between the 'discounted AA hotel rate' and the walk-up rate? If this was a weather delay, were there any rooms available at the hotels AA gives discount vouchers for?
AA will not offer you cash, but it's possible to get a voucher for a future flight. If you determine that the amount of difference is worth going after, write a concise, polite email to Customer Service. Give them a week to respond. You can then use our Company Contacts to email each executive, one at a time, waiting a week between each.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If a flight is canceled due to weather, the airline is not responsible to pay for your hotel. But we don't know what actually happened - as someone above asked, did the flight get canceled due to weather or did you miss the flight?

Reactions: AAGK
Sep 13, 2015
Let me ask for some details:

- When did this occur?

- Did AA cancel the flight due to weather (or did you miss it due to weather getting to the terminal ... sorry if this is a dumb question)

- Did you then leave the terminal and stay at a hotel? Were AA reps seeing passengers and offering hotel or meal vouchers?

We have some very savvy air agents on this Forum and they'll be happy to discuss this issue as long as they have the info. Thanks for writing.
missed flt because we landed after our flt left.

Sep 13, 2015
missed flt because we landed after our flt left.
Ike, have you determined the cost difference between the 'discounted AA hotel rate' and the walk-up rate? If this was a weather delay, were there any rooms available at the hotels AA gives discount vouchers for?
AA will not offer you cash, but it's possible to get a voucher for a future flight. If you determine that the amount of difference is worth going after, write a concise, polite email to Customer Service. Give them a week to respond. You can then use our Company Contacts to email each executive, one at a time, waiting a week between each.
We only found out about the discount offered for a hotel room after we got home from our trip. We had no idea that there was such a program from AA. We were never offered the discount or voucher. We ask for a cash refund only for the amount AA offers for the hotel room. Not the total $300 we paid. We were tuned down,

Aug 28, 2015
Isaac:
Our advocates here need more detail from you.
Please provide -
Date of first flight :
Starting city, airline, and flight number:
Location of overnight stay:
City, airline, and flight number of missed flight:
Method of booking :
This may help.
Thank you.

Sep 13, 2015
Flt booked thru travel agent, started Jun 17 2015 MIA Flt#61 to DFW massed the to NRT Flt #61. Rerouted thru LAX next day. Booked hotel room thru my agent. Also our bags were supposed to follow us to LAX. They never showed at LAX. The bags were next supposed to land at NRT from DFW after we landed from LAX. We waited no bags showed up. Bags did not arrive un till about 7:30 PM after we were at a gala party in our 4 day travel clothes. Our return flt on Jul 2 2015 was also a disaster. The personal lighting and entertainment system failed. We were in the dark for over 10 hours from NRT to DFW. We were taken care of for these problems. I only asked for the voucher amount AA offers for the amount they provide for the hotel program

Aug 28, 2015
Flt booked thru travel agent, started Jun 17 2015 MIA Flt#61 to DFW massed the to NRT Flt #61. Rerouted thru LAX next day. Booked hotel room thru my agent. Also our bags were supposed to follow us to LAX. They never showed at LAX. The bags were next supposed to land at NRT from DFW after we landed from LAX. We waited no bags showed up. Bags did not arrive un till about 7:30 PM after we were at a gala party in our 4 day travel clothes. Our return flt on Jul 2 2015 was also a desaster.
Respectfully, you are not being clear.
Type the Date of first flight : June 17, 2015
Type the Starting city: Miami
Type the airline, and first flight number: AA #61
Type the city you landed in where you missed a flight: DFW
Type the Date of missed flight : June 17, 2015
Type the airline, and missed flight number: AA #61
Type the airline, and new replacement flight number:
Method of booking : ( Now I know this was a Travel Agent. Why is this agent not assisting you? Can you tell us more about the Travel Agent? )
Bags were delayed for how long?
Advise if what I filled in was accurate.
Are you aware that a Tropical Storm watch was in effect during your travel arrival time in DFW?
Our International air experts will need to step in to advise you further once your facts are clarified.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It sounds like your agent didn't book a flight with enough of a connection. What time was first flight due to get in and whattime was the connecting flight supposed to leave?

You should leave at least 90 minutes in between connections. I have not heard of a discounted hotel program from AA.

Reactions: AAGK
R

Realitoes

Isaac,
The airlines normally don't provide any compensation due to weather delays. They do sometimes handout discount coupons for local hotels, but there is no guarantee that they will or that everyone will get one. Requesting a cash reimbursement for this will probably get you nowhere, but that doesn't mean you can't write the airline and request some type of compensation for your inconvenience. Normally this will probably be in the form of a voucher good for a future flight.
You can use the company contacts from the link at the top of the page. Attempt to be concise and leave out any emotion. Remember that the person reading your complaint didn't cause the problem and will be the one in a position to help you.

Aug 28, 2015
It sounds like your agent didn't book a flight with enough of a connection. What time was first flight due to get in and whattime was the connecting flight supposed to leave?

You should leave at least 90 minutes in between connections. I have not heard of a discounted hotel program from AA.
It appears there was 2.5 hours between connections, but that wont help when a tropical storm hits a city. On June 17, 2015 there was a huge weather issue in Dallas. http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/...-bands-of-heavy-rain-drench-north-texas.html/
".......Also, according to FlightAware.com, expect delays if you’re flying into and out of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. According to the website, expect “departure delays of 31 minutes to 45 minutes (and increasing) due to thunderstorms.” Also, per the FAA, all inbound flights are being held at their originating airport until 9 a.m. because of increasing winds,” which is to be expected with the remnants of Bill now just about 50 miles to our south."
So is Isaac due anything from AA when a Tropical Storm causes a missed connection?

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It appears there was 2.5 hours between connections, but that wont help when a tropical storm hits a city. On June 17, 2015 there was a huge weather issue in Dallas. http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/...-bands-of-heavy-rain-drench-north-texas.html/
".......Also, according to FlightAware.com, expect delays if you’re flying into and out of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. According to the website, expect “departure delays of 31 minutes to 45 minutes (and increasing) due to thunderstorms.” Also, per the FAA, all inbound flights are being held at their originating airport until 9 a.m. because of increasing winds,” which is to be expected with the remnants of Bill now just about 50 miles to our south."
So is Isaac due anything from AA when a Tropical Storm causes a missed connection?

Then this is a rare situation. I recommend using our company contacts list on top of the page and writing to customer service requesting reimbursement (or partial). Give it a week, if you hear nothing, write to first exec. Give him/her a week to get back to you. If you hear nothing or it's not what you want, move up to the next exec, repeat if necessary.?

Sep 13, 2015
Respectfully, you are not being clear.
Type the Date of first flight : June 17, 2015
Type the Starting city: Miami
Type the airline, and first flight number: AA #61
Type the city you landed in where you missed a flight: DFW
Type the Date of missed flight : June 17, 2015
Type the airline, and missed flight number: AA #61
Type the airline, and new replacement flight number:
Method of booking : ( Now I know this was a Travel Agent. Why is this agent not assisting you? Can you tell us more about the Travel Agent? )
Bags were delayed for how long?
Advise if what I filled in was accurate.
Are you aware that a Tropical Storm watch was in effect during your travel arrival time in DFW?
Our International air experts will need to step in to advise you further once your facts are clarified.
This is the total flight Schedule:
June 17 2015 left Mia Flt # 61 to Dallas. Arrived over Dallas, the plane had to circle for quite some time. Then to preserve fuel we were sent to San Antonio to land and wait for a recall to DFW. Upon arrival at DFW our Flt # 61 to NRT (Tokyo) had left. We were routed to LAX Flt# 1140 to board Flt # 169 on June 18 2015 arrive NRT June 19 2015. While in Dallas, contacted travel agent for hotel room. Booked Westin in LA for $ 300.00 including breakfast.
I asked for the amount AA would allow in their program for over night stay when a weather problem forces missing a flight.
In dallas the agent in the Admirals Club had our bags transferred to our LAX Flt. It did not happen. Spoke to baggage deportment in LA before our NRT Flt. We were told our bags would be on Flt # 61 from DFW an hour after we land from LAX to wait in the airport for the bags. No bags arrived. Luggage showed up the next day after 7 PM after we had religious services in the morning and a gala party at 6 pm that night. We had to attend both in the cloths we traveled in for 4 days.
Compensation from AA included 2 vouchers for $ 300 for each of us. AA did not say anything about the Hotel cost. Do you think AA would give us another voucher or cash for the amount AA provides in their missed flight program due to weather?

Aug 28, 2015
Isaac: I still dont think you will get anything more. As prior posts have said, you can always appeal up the line. With a Weather delay, AA can distribute hotel discount coupons. These are coupons to save money on a very basic overnight stay, ( for example: a Red Roof Inn that is $119 per night, can be gotten with coupon for $89...note this is just an example, not accurate ). There is not " an amount AA provides in their missed flight program". You are searching for a number that does not exist. They do not assign rooms at the Westin, and they dont give free rooms with weather issues....just discounted coupons applicable to their partner hotels only “subject to availability”.
You could not land due to a Tropical Storm. The plane had to be diverted.
I think you were better off at the Westin. Good decision. You needed some sleep to get to morning services and Gala. ( As a suggestion to future travelers, always plan for your luggage NOT arriving and pack a carry-on with all essential items and clothing. )
So it seems as though you have been reimbursed with vouchers for "something"....? the luggage? Bodega will know better if this was correct and fair. What were the compensation vouchers spefically for?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2015
Isaac: I still dont think you will get anything more. As prior posts have said, you can always appeal up the line. With a Weather delay, AA can distribute hotel discount coupons. These are coupons to save money on a very basic overnight stay, ( for example: a Red Roof Inn that is $119 per night, can be gotten with coupon for $89...note this is just an example, not accurate ). There is not " an amount AA provides in their missed flight program". You are searching for a number that does not exist. They do not assign rooms at the Westin, and they dont give free rooms with weather issues....just discounted coupons applicable to their partner hotels.
You could not land due to a Tropical Storm. The plane had to be diverted.
I think you were better off at the Westin. Good decision. You needed some sleep to get to your meeting and Gala.
So it seems as though you have been reimbursed with vouchers for "something"....? the luggage? Bodega will know better if this was correct and fair. What were the compensation vouchers spefically for?
We are waiting for delivery of a new bag from AA to replace a damaged one.
Really my basic question really is Why wasn't the voucher for a hotel room OFFERED by the agent who booked us to LAX for the next day flt to Tokyo?

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
We are waiting for delivery of a new bag from AA to replace a damaged one.
Really my basic question really is Why wasn't the voucher for a hotel room OFFERED by the agent who booked us to LAX for the next day flt to Tokyo?

I'm wondering if the agent perhaps had a very limited # of vouchers, or knew that the hotels involved had little to no room that night ... and s/he waited for people to ASK for a voucher.

No, it's not good business, but that could be a reason...

Reactions: Neil Maley