Forced to fly Business on First Class Award ticket

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 17, 2016
Wanting them to pay you $13,200 is utterly unreasonable.

Wanting them to give you the difference between the mileage you paid and the mileage for the cabin they transported you in IS completely reasonable.

I could easily write you a letter confirming your claim and probably get them to honor it with 10k on top of that for your trouble.

But you insist on being unreasonable.

AA did not transport you in F because they substituted an airplane that did not have F.

You wanting to spend more time in Italy just to fly home in First Class seems incredibly entitled as an attitude. You offered. They said no. End of story.

You want what you want because you were so horribly inconvenienced flying 9 hours in a business class seat that was of higher quality than the old tired first class seat you would have gotten.

I'm happy to represent you in your claim against AA for cash compensation. Hourly. $5000 retainer. Assuming we can represent you based on your state of residence.
Wonderful! I love your totally appropriate snarkiness!

Jul 27, 2016
This must have been very disappointing, but since you were on award tix, it will be difficult to obtain any compensation. Award bookings are always the lowest on the totem pole when there are internal problems. Be glad you weren't relegated to coach, as has happened to numerous travellers. We always advise travellers to check their itineraries often so that these kinds of situations can be handled before you arrive at the airport.
Given that EU261 explicitly applies to award tickets, why are you so negative about the OP's chances?

Jan 25, 2016
Sadly, she will not find a single EU261 company who will provide 'free' representation for this claim - because there is no money in it - there needs to be money so the EU261 company gets paid -

Now - as we have ALL said - send the demand for the miles - personally - I would phrase it as:

"Given that AA disputes coverage of EU261 to its operations, while the EU seems to think this flight would qualify, this 'issue' simple: Regardless of how I paid AA for a first class seat, AA did not give me a first class seat. Thus, I wish compensation for the difference in price between a first class seat and a business class seat.

I could ask for EU compensation, which would be 75% of the cost of the seat, or 62,500 miles times 0.75, or, 46875 miles restored to my account, times two for two tickets, or 93,750 miles.

If AA refuses to this, I will have no choice but to complain to EU authories.

In the event that AA wishes to avoid a determinaion of EU261 coverage of its' award tickets, how about we do it this way: Advance First Class mileage award 90,000 miles. advance business class mileage award 57,500. Difference 32500. You have offered miles plus a convenience 'fee' of 7500 miles - thus you put 40,000 miles for each ticket, or, 80,000 miles in my account.

Either solution is acceptable. Choosing neither is not. I can wait for the EU in Brussels to order you to pay for award tickets, and AA can deal with the ruling for al of its future operations from Europe, or, it can simply give the difference between the two award levels and the convenience 'fee' for having to even fight over it."

This is utterly unemotional - its just business. You want to deal with this on every single flight - and every single person in the future, or fix this and I go away.

Joe, I am always blown away by the "free" advice that you dispense to people in need on this forum ... clear, concise, business-like and professional ... and in a way that can be "lifted" from this forum and applied directly to the situation with no muss or fuss ...

You, sir, are my idol!

Sep 13, 2016
Wonderful! I love your totally appropriate snarkiness!
Inappropriate snakiness, you mean If you had bothered to read the thread (particularly post #8) you wouldn't have embarrassed yourself so. No money was EVER asked for. Ever. Only mileage. The form demanded a monetary figure (i.e., dollar amount) be filled in for the tickets. Had one purchased the tickets, rather than obtained them as awards, that would have been the price...which is what the form required be filled in. Monetary compensation was never asked for, nor was it ever any part of this discussion.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Everyone, please remember Chris' direction for the site.

"We are not here to berate consumers when they fail to read the fine print. We are not here to judge whether someone is "deserving" of help or not.

We try to help EVERYONE.

We do so politely and promptly."

Keep it positive, folks.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
The authority is Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council which states: "This Regulation shall not apply to passengers travelling free of charge or at a reduced fare not available directly or indirectly to the public. However, it shall apply to passengers having tickets issued under a frequent flyer programme or other commercial programme by an air carrier or tour operator."
But we live in the United States. The airline isn't subject to the European Parliament. It could do what it wants here. I may have misunderstood the offer but it should be the difference in points between the 2 classes.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
The only debatable issue here is what is the price of the award ticket?
Is it $0 or so many miles?
This has been answered. Miles. The OP asked for miles anyway - the only reason she put a $ value down at all is our intake form asked for it as a part of the standard questions.

For those not familiar with the process, some people come directly to the forums. Others fill out the request for help form and are directed here by our intake volunteers. The OP is in the later category and simply copied and pasted her intake form over to the forums.

So the $ value, as she's noted repeadetly, is not what's she's asking for and is simply a by product of the intake form.

It's a dead issue.

Sep 13, 2016
Thank you for clarifying (and restating clearly) my position, particularly for all of those who seem confused about what I'm asking for in compensation.

How much time should I allow for them to respond? I followed your advice and sent an email on 9/13 to the address provided ([email protected]), citing EU 261and asking for the miles to be credited.

No response.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Thank you for clarifying (and restating clearly) my position, particularly for all of those who seem confused about what I'm asking for in compensation.

How much time should I allow for them to respond? I followed your advice and sent an email on 9/13 to the address provided ([email protected]), citing EU 261and asking for the miles to be credited.

No response.
I'd follow up tomorrow with an inquiry to ensure they received your request.

Sep 19, 2015
I admit that how the form was filled out first confused me but then I read through all the pages, and saw that the OP was not asking for money. The airlines seem to be very slow with responding to complaints and issues, so I am not surprised that there is no response yet. I do think the OP should be diligent in following up, but realistic about the time it takes.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015

No response.
We suggest waiting seven days between emails. Looks like its time for the next one!

Sep 13, 2016
Since it is now more than 10 days with no response from [email protected], I have taken your advice (above) and emailed the first name on the list.

I rewrote the letter, shortening it considerably, stating only the facts, and included the applicable and appropriate sections of EU 261.

If I get no response (or an unsatisfactory one), what are the next steps?

Do I continue with each of the AA personnel on the list? Or do I need to do something with the EU?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Since it is now more than 10 days with no response from [email protected], I have taken your advice (above) and emailed the first name on the list.

I rewrote the letter, shortening it considerably, stating only the facts, and included the applicable and appropriate sections of EU 261.

If I get no response (or an unsatisfactory one), what are the next steps?

Do I continue with each of the AA personnel on the list? Or do I need to do something with the EU?
After a week from the day you sent the email, send it to the next name on the list. Hopefully you get a favorable response before you exhaust the names on the list! Please keep us updated. Glad you shortened the letter, that will help you immensely.

May 24, 2016
I cannot be sure how it works and when on each airline or alliance, but the airline likely chose to move you because you may not (I am only assuming) have any status with them and also because you had an award ticket instead of a paid one. So if they had to chose who to move, they likely have a chart internally that shows them who is "higher" and people with paid tickets who have status are likely higher in their minds than people who used miles. Sadly that is the way it is. Same goes for food. We have discussed this elsewhere, where a passenger may not get the food they want because they will serve the higher status people that choice first and if they run out, oh well.

I would have asked for them to provide the amenities from first while being seated in C and also it may be a good practice going forward to make a screen shot of what a paid ticket for your itinerary would cost when booked on the same day you set it up with miles, and what that paid ticket is worth on or closer to day of travel--as well, what that ticket is worth in miles on or closer to day of travel. It is good to have this sort of info