Forced to buy optional and un-needed insurance, making it mandatory

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 25, 2018
Hello anyone, I'd love to share my experience with you all, and I hope to get help here

Today I picked my budget car up (booked on rentalcars.com; paid at Budget counter), but after a while the operator has started to push me a lot to add something like an insurance for my vehicle. She made me believe that it was mandatory. Since I needed the car, I just accepted, but on the receipt, I'm now reading that this insurance is not mandatory, and it's just a "supplemental liability insurance". 15.06$/day, for a 271.08$ total. on my Budget website's reservation page there's also no trace of this 271.08$ amount...

You understand that when you need a car, and when somebody is telling you that another service is a mandatory insurance, and " in California, you can't drive without an insurance, or they will stop you" (right words, I remember), you feel like it's inevitable, and you accept to pay more...but after you read that it's "optional", well...this is kind of a scam I guess. and it's just very sad because I felt like I had to trust her, which I did, but...

I tried to shoot an email but it seems that budget website won't let me to do that; it keeps notifying me that the message can't be sent...

I asked many times to pay just what's written in my rentalcars reservation, and that I didn't want any supplemental or optional service, also after reading the summary, but I've been led to do that.
I'm good with the car but I'd love to be refunded for that 271$ insurance that I don't need and they made me thought it as mandatory! Any help?

Thanks a lot,

Andrea

Jan 6, 2015
You can present your case to Budget for consideration by using the Company Contacts link at the top of this page.
Before you do, be sure to read and follow the instructions at the top of the first page. Include your desired resolution.

Feb 25, 2018
Thank you! I wrote to them, let's wait and see, but most likely they will tell me that since I've accepted and signed, I can't be refunded...maybe I'm just pessimistic now!

Mar 25, 2015
cali
Do you own a car and have other insurance?

supplemental liability insurance means you will be covered if you hit another vehicle. is it required? no.

But unless you waved your AAA, credit card or other insurance in their faces they will assume you do not have a way to pay in the event that you hit another vehicle.

If you DID tell them that you have your own supplemental liability insurance and they STILL said you are not allowed to leave without signing make sure to include that.

Otherwise, they were within their right to force you to buy supplemental liability insurance. (even though it is technically not mandatory because technically there is a chance you will not get into an accident.)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you! I wrote to them, let's wait and see, but most likely they will tell me that since I've accepted and signed, I can't be refunded...maybe I'm just pessimistic now!
No that probably is what will happen but take it up the executive chain anyway. We have seen a well written letter get things changed we never thought would be changed so it doesn't hurt to ask.

In the future - whip out your cell phone camera and tell the clerk to tell you on video that it is required. That will probably stop them. If you don't buy their insurance what they can do is put a large hold on your credit card for the duration of the rental in case there is any damage.

I also bring a copy of our insurance cards with us when we rent domestically and show them the insurance when I say no. I also have comprehensive on my car policy so I don't need to worry about a CDW either. If you don't have that on your personal car insurance it is worth thinking about buying in case you are hit or hit someone else.

Feb 25, 2018
Do you own a car and have other insurance?

supplemental liability insurance means you will be covered if you hit another vehicle. is it required? no.

But unless you waved your AAA, credit card or other insurance in their faces they will assume you do not have a way to pay in the event that you hit another vehicle.

If you DID tell them that you have your own supplemental liability insurance and they STILL said you are not allowed to leave without signing make sure to include that.

Otherwise, they were within their right to force you to buy supplemental liability insurance. (even though it is technically not mandatory because technically there is a chance you will not get into an accident.)

Actually I've got a car and insurance of course, but in Italy, not here in US, and I don't know if that's the same or not

Feb 25, 2018
Another weird thing is that for my previous car rental (from gen27 to feb24), with Enterprise, all went done without any additional offer, or service, or insurance...they just ask me if I'd want stuff like gps or similar, and I simply refused....

Feb 25, 2018
update

I received a reply from rentalcars:

If I feel that I have been misadvised when collecting the vehicle at the location, then I should contact my credit card provider to dispute the charges, because they have the authority to charge back any payment that could be taken fraudulently, and they will in turn conduct a full and thorough fraud investigation.

I've searched for the related papers on my bank website, but it seems that they don't consider the possibilty to be frauded when signing an agreement (that's actually one of the most common type of fraud, I guess, otherwise it would be just an error from the company or the customer, don't you agree?!), because in their document I only read the possibility to report a

TRANSACTION/S NOT RECOGNIZED/FRAUDOLENT – I confirm that I have never participated or authorized the said transaction neither by phone nor in writing I authorize the block of my cardand I require a new one to be reissued (only after the approval of the competent department).

what can I do?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You need to go to the first executive we show on our company contacts and start moving up the chain as we advise on the company contacts page.

I don’t think you would win a credit card dispute because they are going to show the signed contract that you signed the contract agreeing to the insurance.

Your plea to the Executives should say that the he employee deliberately misled you and they need training or if employees are rewarded for having customers add more onto a contract that this is a poor practice as it encourages them to mislead the consumer.

If you don’t get satisfaction from going up the Executive chain you can file a complaint with the Attorney General about this practice.

Feb 25, 2018
Hello there!
so I'm happy to say that everything went. Custormer service replied to me basically asking me to get back to the rent location, and ask to change the reservation, deleting the SLI. Of course I paid for those 4 days in which I've been covered by SLI, but I guess it's ok. With just the case number, all I had to do was to show it to somebody at the counter, then the operator came back with a new receipt, without the SLI. I've got say that they were kind of upset and disappointed, but the guy who wrote the original email has been kind, helpful and efficient to solve the problem even at that first stage.

Thank you so much for your help everybody, this forum is great!
Andrea.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
update

I received a reply from rentalcars:

If I feel that I have been misadvised when collecting the vehicle at the location, then I should contact my credit card provider to dispute the charges, because they have the authority to charge back any payment that could be taken fraudulently, and they will in turn conduct a full and thorough fraud investigation.

I've searched for the related papers on my bank website, but it seems that they don't consider the possibilty to be frauded when signing an agreement (that's actually one of the most common type of fraud, I guess, otherwise it would be just an error from the company or the customer, don't you agree?!), because in their document I only read the possibility to report a

TRANSACTION/S NOT RECOGNIZED/FRAUDOLENT – I confirm that I have never participated or authorized the said transaction neither by phone nor in writing I authorize the block of my cardand I require a new one to be reissued (only after the approval of the competent department).

what can I do?
I'm glad to read that your issue seems to be in the process of resolution. Two things that affect your situation: 1) the people from the booking service have no knowledge/authority to tell you to file a credit card dispute. A CC dispute should be your last resort after attempting to get the problem solved. 2) the rental agent probably receives a very healthy bonus based on the bogus insurance charge ... they know they'll never see you again, and the money is more important to them. This is true of car rental companies from the guy who works out of his own garage to the huge multi-national rental agencies. They've taken a lesson from the airlines/hotels and are out to increase that bottom line however they can manage. Bullying people about unnecessary insurance is a very popular tactic.

Feb 25, 2018
Yeah I see that. I don't know if anything has been told to the assistant: the customer office guy just wrote me that the assistant would be informed about my case, but who knows... Anyway, thanks to this forum, I've been able not to give up and pay something unfair, but to fight this very little battle

If anyone need any info from me, just ask guys!

Andrea.

Aug 5, 2018
Yeah I see that. I don't know if anything has been told to the assistant: the customer office guy just wrote me that the assistant would be informed about my case, but who knows... Anyway, thanks to this forum, I've been able not to give up and pay something unfair, but to fight this very little battle

If anyone need any info from me, just ask guys!

Andrea.
Were you able to get all insurance charges removed? If you have not, please let me know and I'll help you with that, assuming you rented within the US.