• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Aug 28, 2015
New York
We found out yesterday we are going to a wedding in Hawaii, in Dec. As I settled in to do my flight/points analysis my partner says he needs to book a ticket that day and the next thing I know he booked an economy ticket for cash on Hawaiin airlines on EXPEDIA!!! So I will do my own booking and I guess we will fly separately to Hawaii for 12 hrs. I know we don't really discuss points here too much but does anyone know if there are any good rates for F class to HNL from NY that I could possibly use or transfer points from Virgin (I have elevate and flying club), Jet blue (I know they transfer to Hawaiin airlines) or Amex memb rewards? Or in the alternative, which airline generally has better rates for business or 1st? Also, since he booked with expedia, does that mean we can't upgrade his ticket with points?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
We found out yesterday we are going to a wedding in Hawaii, in Dec. As I settled in to do my flight/points analysis my partner says he needs to book a ticket that day and the next thing I know he booked an economy ticket for cash on Hawaiin airlines on EXPEDIA!!! So I will do my own booking and I guess we will fly separately to Hawaii for 12 hrs. I know we don't really discuss points here too much but does anyone know if there are any good rates for F class to HNL from NY that I could possibly use or transfer points from Virgin (I have elevate and flying club), Jet blue (I know they transfer to Hawaiin airlines) or Amex memb rewards? Or in the alternative, which airline generally has better rates for business or 1st? Also, since he booked with expedia, does that mean we can't upgrade his ticket with points?
His being able to upgrade is now out of the question, sorry!
Why oh why would he use Expedia :(

B

bodega3

I just booked myself in first class for $840 to HNL on HA out of OAK where is was over $1200 on UA out of SFO. Can you break your trip up?

Jan 8, 2015
Sounds like you need to educate your partner and have him start reading the Elliott.org forum! Also sound slike several books from a certain author may need to be on the Christmas list. lol

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Good God, get rid of this guy!! Yes, he'll be flying by himself, in coach, all 12 hours, and deservedly so. What was he thinking???

As far as trying to get a seat up front on upgrades or an award, things are getting mighty ugly out there at the airlines the last few months. I have never booked directly through AmEx, but it might be worth a look. I have noticed lately that the prices for first and upgradeable coach on United are not that far apart on many flights ... by the time you pay the "upgradeable" fare and dump the points in, it may be less expensive to just buy the damn tix in first. Good news is that the serious high season doesn't start until the day after Christmas.

There are also "travel agents" who specialize in awards/upgrades ... Wendy Perrin has some good referrals on her website. I've not used any of them, but I think it's only a matter of time as United gets increasingly impossible to deal with.

Last edited: