Flight Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 16, 2017
I had flights booked for my wedding on Nov 3rd 2017. Due to the hurricane, our resort will not be running in time and we have canceled our destination wedding. AA would not refund my flight, but refunded my fiancés flight. I called MANY times and had a different story from their customer service every time. Then, due to my complaints, when I called back the last time, my account was flagged and no one wanted to help me. I was told my voucher had to be used by original booking date, so it will need to be used by Jan 14 2018. Unfortunately, with all the money out for the wedding that is not happening, I cannot afford to go any where else which means my voucher will be going to waste as I will not be able to travel by January to use it. I have also emailed AA over the last 30 days and have yet to receive a response.

Feb 9, 2016
Start writing instead of calling.
Start with the Customer relations online email form. Explain your situation. Explain that your fiancée called and was granted a refund and you are confused as to why the same courtesy cannot be granted to your ticket. include her PNR number in your letter. be nice, be professional, sound confused.

Wait a week. If Customer relations online email form doesn't get back to you, or refuses you again, escalate the same letter 9different salutation) to the first executive.

Here are the AA contacts, feel free to post the letter here so we can review, before you send.
http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-airlines/

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What the airlines have done is you either had to rebook your ticket by the time you were to fly or they would give you a credit towards a new flight to be used within a year from the day of purchase. Some airlines, like United, were charging a change fee for going the credit route (happened to me so I had to quickly think of a place to travel to).

If they refunded your fiancé it is ridiculous they did not refund you. Hopefully our company contacts will get you a refund. It doesn't make sense they would not refund both.

Feb 9, 2016
It's odd that you and your fiancée are not flying together, on one record locator number.
I know this falls under the 'none of your business' category, but it might be a key piece of information as to why you aren't getting a refund, but she is. May I ask why you both didn't purchase your tickets at the same time and under the same circumstances?

It's odd that you and your fiancée are not flying together, on one record locator number.
I know this falls under the 'none of your business' category, but it might be a key piece of information as to why you aren't getting a refund, but she is. May I ask why you both didn't purchase your tickets at the same time and under the same circumstances?
Alternatively, if you were booked on the same PNR (record locator number) who did the actual booking? If your fiance booked the flights and paid for them then he would be in a better position to obtain your refund. Were you flying to your wedding from the same airport? Something's just not right here.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It all depends on the details of each booking. Compare both of them to see if there are differences. If both exactly the same, my colleagues are right ... there's no reason you should not be treated the same as your fiance. Look at every single factor of the reservations and the tix.