Flight Network wont give me a refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 22, 2021
I booked a flight through Flight Network for a trip planned in late March 2020. Then Covid19 reared it's ugly head and the airline canceled my flight. Because I booked through a 3rd party, I could not request a refund directly from the airline. Flight Network informed me that my only options were to accept a future travel voucher or rebook the flight for a later date. I chose the voucher, which was only good through March of 2021. After discovering that I was indeed entitled to a refund, I contacted Flight Network to begin the refund process. That was in August 2020. As of today, I have not received an update on my refund request. When I am able to actually get through to a representative, it's only after being on hold for a minimum of an hour and a half, and no one will give me a straight answer. Today I was told I'd have to call back tomorrow. And wait. On hold. Again. Oh, and they also did not honor the travel insurance I purchased when I booked the flight. So there's that.

Jul 13, 2016
That’s a bummer. You should read the fine print from FlightNetwork to make sure you are really entitled to a refund. If you are, they might keep some of the refund as an administrative fee.
Was the insurance Cancel for Any Reason? If not, then it would not cover the pandemic. Your travel insurance likely only covers your illness/ accident and named perils like earthquakes, house fire or flood, or the death or illness of a family member. COVID was never covered in March of 2020.

Reactions: Patina and VoR61

Alexander Pahany

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
After discovering that I was indeed entitled to a refund, I contacted Flight Network to begin the refund process.
Can you elaborate further on this? How did you discover that you were entitled to a refund? If you bought your tickets from Flight Network, you are bound by their Terms & Conditions whether the airline canceled your flight or not.
Oh, and they also did not honor the travel insurance I purchased when I booked the flight. So there's that.
Was this travel insurance that you purchased from Flight Network or from another provider?

Apr 22, 2021
Can you elaborate further on this? How did you discover that you were entitled to a refund? If you bought your tickets from Flight Network, you are bound by their Terms & Conditions whether the airline canceled your flight or not.

Was this travel insurance that you purchased from Flight Network or from another provider?
According to the Department of Transportation, a passenger is entitled to a refund if their flight is canceled by the airline for any reason and the passenger chooses not to travel. Also applies if there is a schedule change or significant delay and the passenger chooses not to travel. When I discovered this, I formally requested a refund and was given an order number and was told they would contact the airline on my behalf and I would receive my refund after that. I was never told I could not get a refund by anyone at Flight Network after August 2020. It was very clear that they were "working on it" for me. The travel insurance was purchase from Flight Network at the time of booking and was never canceled by me.

Reactions: VoR61
Apr 22, 2021
According to the Department of Transportation, a passenger is entitled to a refund if their flight is canceled by the airline for any reason and the passenger chooses not to travel. Also applies if there is a schedule change or significant delay and the passenger chooses not to travel. When I discovered this, I formally requested a refund and was given an order number and was told they would contact the airline on my behalf and I would receive my refund after that. I was never told I could not get a refund by anyone at Flight Network after August 2020. It was very clear that they were "working on it" for me. The travel insurance was purchase from Flight Network at the time of booking and was never canceled by me.
It's also worth mentioning that I have an email from Flight Network stating that they would contact the airline on my behalf for either a refund or future travel voucher, whichever I wanted. I chose the refund and the rest is history... Also, Flight Network's representatives have always said that they follow the airline's guidelines for refunds, not they're own. So again, there was never an argument over whether or not I could get my money back. The issue is over the length of time it has taken and the lack of communication or action from Flight Network.

Sep 26, 2017
To clarify, the DoT regulation is specifically for flights booked through the airline directly. TAs and OTAs do not have to follow this. If Flight Network committed to a refund, you should be fine, but without this they're not required by the DoT to do so.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The DOT rule only applies when you book directly with the airline. You did not so the rule doesn’t apply. And they are located in Canada so you can’t even take them to Small Claims Court.

You can try filing a complaint with the EU:

Governing law and dispute resolution
Governing law
Canadian law applies exclusively to these T&Cs and the contract between you and us.

As a consumer, you will benefit from any mandatory provisions of the law of the country in which you are resident. Nothing in these T&Cs, including this Section 13.1, affects your rights as a consumer to rely on such mandatory provisions of local law.
Online Dispute Resolution
The European Commission provides a platform for online dispute resolution (ODS) under: http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/

Apr 22, 2021
Thank you for the info
The DOT rule only applies when you book directly with the airline. You did not so the rule doesn’t apply. And they are located in Canada so you can’t even take them to Small Claims Court.

You can try filing a complaint with the EU:

Governing law and dispute resolution
Governing law
Canadian law applies exclusively to these T&Cs and the contract between you and us.

As a consumer, you will benefit from any mandatory provisions of the law of the country in which you are resident. Nothing in these T&Cs, including this Section 13.1, affects your rights as a consumer to rely on such mandatory provisions of local law.
Online Dispute Resolution
The European Commission provides a platform for online dispute resolution (ODS) under: http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/

Apr 22, 2021
Update: I was able to talk to a representative at Flight Network last week and was informed that they have received a refund from British Airways and that they (Flight Network) would apply it toward my credit card. He even gave me the specific amount. I was told it would take 3 - 4 business days. It has been 5 business days and still no refund. Also, I received a reply from the DOT stating that my complaint does fall under their rules and they will forward my complaint and await a response.

Apr 22, 2021
One more update: I just got off the phone with FN. Now they're telling me there is some kind of technical issue. He said "we don't take card readers over the phone." I'm not sure what that has to do with my refund. Especially since they told me last week that my refund would be applied to the credit card account that was used for the original purchase. That credit card is still open and valid in my name. However, he asked for my phone number and said that either he or someone from the refund team would contact me to resolve the issue. So that's new. I want to be optimistic but I still smell a rat.

Last edited:

Alexander Pahany

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
One more update: I just got off the phone with FN. Now they're telling me there is some kind of technical issue. He said "we don't take card readers over the phone." I'm not sure what that has to do with my refund. Especially since they told me last week that my refund would be applied to the credit card account that was used for the original purchase. That credit card is still open and valid in my name. However, he asked for my phone number and said that either he or someone from the refund team would contact me to resolve the issue. So that's new. I want to be optimistic but I still smell a rat.
I don't understand what their comment about "card readers" even means. Give them a chance...I'm sure they are overwhelmed and underequipped.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
They might also need to get enough new bookings to have some money to pay you . This can take quite a while. Quite likely your refund from the airlines went to pay someone who was refunded well before you were.
These are sad times, sad times indeed.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They might also need to get enough new bookings to have some money to pay you . This can take quite a while. Quite likely your refund from the airlines went to pay someone who was refunded well before you were.
These are sad times, sad times indeed.
If BA refunded FlightNetwork this is no excuse not to refund the client.

FlightNetwork is based in Canada. You can file a complaint with ACTA about them-

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
If BA refunded FlightNetwork this is no excuse not to refund the client.
You are so right. It is outrageous to delay someones refund in these cases.
Maybe when Covid is more under control some of these companies that have people waiting for extra weeks, months and maybe even a year will be held accountable.
Does ACTA have any power over anyone that is not a member of their group?