Flight network, cc dispute unsuccessful after they claim "too much time has passed"

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 26, 2021
My flight purchased through Flight Network was canceled by the airline due to an error in their booking system. I have not received my refund and when I try to contact Flight Network they put me on hold for several hours and transfer me to "other departments" and they all ask for the same information and put me back on hold to look into the matter. After doing this several times they put me on hold again and then hang up. I am not able to get anywhere with them or my credit card company. I tried disputing the charge with the card company because I can not get anything from Flight Network. The dispute was closed as a valid charge with the excuse (from Flight Network) that the charge was too long ago. It was just last month. I do not know what to do and am basically out $1,473.61 for services not rendered. Has anyone been successful in getting them to initiate the refund process? I already know to avoid OTA's so any advice other than "Avoid OTA's" is greatly appreciated.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
You should appeal this with your credit card.
If the charge date was a month ago your credit card has to investigate this. It is in the regulations.
Do you have any proof that you did not have a ticket.
No matter this is not how your credit card should be handling this.
I might suspect that your credit card seeing no way yo recover this money might want to say this and hope you let it drop.
What credit card was this charged on?

Apr 26, 2021
Can you give us the relevant dates?
Reservation booked on 3/4/21. On 3/5 I originally disputed the transaction because the total for the reservation jumped up about 3 times after confirming my order. Before disputing, I called Flight Network and talked to someone (after an extremely long hold time) that said there was nothing they could do, even though it was within an hour after booking. They said there was nothing I could do unless I wanted them to keep $300 some for each passenger. There were two of us on the reservation. After I realized they are not willing to make things right I opened the dispute that had an open date of 3/5. On that same day, I receive the following email from the airline and was relieved at the time, because I thought that meant everything was getting canceled and my refund due to me would be processed, no problem.

"TAP regrets to inform that, due to an error in the system on which your reservation was issued, the reservation had to be annulled.

TAP is already refunding you of the amount paid through the form of payment used. If the reservation was made through a travel agency, we kindly ask you to contact the agency to check the refund conditions.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have you on board soon."

After the dispute was settled as a valid charge, my card company suggested I open it again in the full amount. I submitted all the emails and confirmations/cancellations and let them know I am unable to really reach them by phone or email. I noticed the second dispute date changed about 3 times with the most recent date being 4/22. The second dispute was closed on 4/22:

"You disputed the charge(s) because you thought you were due a credit on your account. Based on the information available, we found that a significant amount of time has passed since the date of the charge. Despite our efforts, the merchant is not willing to credit your account. The charge(s) you disputed is valid. It will remain on your credit card account and be included in the balance on your next statement. Transaction Post Date Merchant Name Transaction Amount 03/04/2021 Tickets*flightnetwork $1,473.61 The merchant isn't required to credit your account because the charge took place too long ago."

After this, I spent about 3 hours on the phone with them, 99% of it on hold. Transferred me around, on hold again, then hung up on me like every other time. I feel like this is all the further I will get with them on this matter.

Apr 26, 2021
You should appeal this with your credit card.
If the charge date was a month ago your credit card has to investigate this. It is in the regulations.
Do you have any proof that you did not have a ticket.
No matter this is not how your credit card should be handling this.
I might suspect that your credit card seeing no way yo recover this money might want to say this and hope you let it drop.
What credit card was this charged on?
This was charged on my Chase Sapphire Reserve, so I was thinking Chase would see the obvious ominous murkiness surrounding the situation and help me to get it taken care of. I sent them the confirmation, the proof of cancellation, literally every document I had including screenshots of Flight Network's website stating that "it is in the hands of my bank" or something like that and any questions should be addressed with them. I was told by Chase there is nothing more they can do and unfortunately my only option is to try to keep contacting Flight Network. That has not been successful whatsoever.

Apr 26, 2021
Reservation booked on 3/4/21. On 3/5 I originally disputed the transaction because the total for the reservation jumped up about 3 times after confirming my order. Before disputing, I called Flight Network and talked to someone (after an extremely long hold time) that said there was nothing they could do, even though it was within an hour after booking. They said there was nothing I could do unless I wanted them to keep $300 some for each passenger. There were two of us on the reservation. After I realized they are not willing to make things right I opened the dispute that had an open date of 3/5. On that same day, I receive the following email from the airline and was relieved at the time, because I thought that meant everything was getting canceled and my refund due to me would be processed, no problem.

"TAP regrets to inform that, due to an error in the system on which your reservation was issued, the reservation had to be annulled.

TAP is already refunding you of the amount paid through the form of payment used. If the reservation was made through a travel agency, we kindly ask you to contact the agency to check the refund conditions.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have you on board soon."

After the dispute was settled as a valid charge, my card company suggested I open it again in the full amount. I submitted all the emails and confirmations/cancellations and let them know I am unable to really reach them by phone or email. I noticed the second dispute date changed about 3 times with the most recent date being 4/22. The second dispute was closed on 4/22:

"You disputed the charge(s) because you thought you were due a credit on your account. Based on the information available, we found that a significant amount of time has passed since the date of the charge. Despite our efforts, the merchant is not willing to credit your account. The charge(s) you disputed is valid. It will remain on your credit card account and be included in the balance on your next statement. Transaction Post Date Merchant Name Transaction Amount 03/04/2021 Tickets*flightnetwork $1,473.61 The merchant isn't required to credit your account because the charge took place too long ago."

After this, I spent about 3 hours on the phone with them, 99% of it on hold. Transferred me around, on hold again, then hung up on me like every other time. I feel like this is all the further I will get with them on this matter.
Edit: Second dispute closed on 4/23, one day after the opened-on date changed to 4/22.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
I assume you were trying to take advantage of the TAP mistake fare from March 4. Can you explain what you mean by this:
the total for the reservation jumped up about 3 times after confirming my order.
Does this mean your credit card was billed for more than the amount in your confirmation email? Or does it mean that when you booked the fare was higher than when you did the initial search?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
There are two significant issues: 1. Flight Network is based in Canada. US rules do not apply to them. There are several recent elliott.org complaints similar to yours. https://forum.elliott.org/search/811424/?q=flight+network&o=date

2. TAP is a tiny airline that has generated more complaints to elliott.org in the last 30 days than ANY other airline in the world.

As others have suggested, you need to go back to your credit card and appeal again ASAP.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I sent them the confirmation, the proof of cancellation,
Did you stress that this was not a Covid cancellation but was a computer error cancellation.

I suspect that Flight Network does not do live pricing.
This means this company guesses what the price might be. Advertises this price. Hopes you book at this price. Then you pay this price. Finally they try to find a flight at this price. If they can great. If not they come back with an excuse like ...
The airline mistakenly canceled your booking.
The airline raised prices so we have charged your card another 300.00 per person.
Or maybe even Honesty and tell you they could not book the ticket at that price and again please pay us 300.00 more.

Reactions: BittyBoo

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I assume you were trying to take advantage of the TAP mistake fare from March 4. Can you explain what you mean by this:

Does this mean your credit card was billed for more than the amount in your confirmation email? Or does it mean that when you booked the fare was higher than when you did the initial search?
If itwas a mistake fare, that’s why the price jumped. It might have jumped to the actual cost of the air.

Reactions: VoR61

smd

Mar 14, 2018
If itwas a mistake fare, that’s why the price jumped. It might have jumped to the actual cost of the air.
That would be my guess, but something seems strange here. Immediately (less than an hour) after making the reservation, the OP called the Flight Network, tried to cancel his reservation and then filed a CC dispute when told there would be a fee. I assume this means the OP did not successfully book the mistake fare. But then why did s/he get the email saying they did?

It's also not clear if Flight Network charged an amount different from what the OP agreed to, or if the OP didn't notice that the fare changed before booking the flight.

Last edited:

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
Though if the flight was corectly booked then the OP would have to pay the cancellation fee as specified in this companies terms and conditions. I would think a charge back would fail in this case once this company showed the terms to the credit card company.

Apr 26, 2021

Yes, I received the mistake fare notification on March 3rd and tried booking for two. The total for two people at checkout showed just over $500.00. After I clicked the button to submit the order, everything went through with a surprise amount almost 3 times as much. Nowhere did it show me that price or I would have aborted mission.

Apr 26, 2021
Though if the flight was corectly booked then the OP would have to pay the cancellation fee as specified in this companies terms and conditions. I would think a charge back would fail in this case once this company showed the terms to the credit card company.
At this point, that's something I'd be willing to do even though it is ridiculous. Can't seem to talk to anyone about actual options, though. I'd rather be out of $600 some for nothing vs. almost $1,500.00!

Jun 24, 2019
Another path is to complain to the regulators, which in this case should be the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, although I think the first path is another written dispute with Chase, working up the chain in the corporate contacts listed above.

A dispute of a credit card charge is timely if made in writing within 60 days of the date of the statement on which the charge appears. The credit card issuer is required to investigate. Th credit card issuer is not required to come to the “right” decision, just a decision based on the investigation. In the case of disputed facts, the issuer could rely on the version offered by the company over the consumer. What the issuer can’t do is decide against the consumer on timeliness grounds when, as laid out by OP, the chargeback was timely.

I’ve been through the hassle of a charge in excess of what was quoted. It’s quite the frustration. And I;ve been through issues with credit cards when a chargeback request is denied for nonsensical reasons.

Reactions: VoR61
Nov 27, 2019
Yes, I received the mistake fare notification on March 3rd and tried booking for two. The total for two people at checkout showed just over $500.00. After I clicked the button to submit the order, everything went through with a surprise amount almost 3 times as much. Nowhere did it show me that price or I would have aborted mission.
Do you have any evidence that the quoted price was $500 before you clicked submit? A screenshot or something similar?