Flight change made to Europe tour from afternoon to morning

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 27, 2018
I have a concern about my travel agency, Gate 1. Air Canada changed my originally booked afternoon flight (1:40pm) to a flight 2 hours earlier flight on our return flight from Rome to Cleveland. When I booked the trip I made sure that I had booked an afternoon flight that would leave my husband and I enough time to disembark our NCL cruise ship at Rome port, transfer to Rome airport and be there 3 hours before our international flight. Air Canada changed the flight to 11:45 AM and now I think that it will be difficult to make it to the airport in time. I asked for them to change back to an afternoon time and they have refused to do so. They do have another Air Canada that leaves at 1:40pm, but it has 2 connections instead of 1, so they told me that they cannot change to it. I have tried contacting both NCL and Air Canada, but they have said that I have to deal with Gate 1. I have been worried sick about it and feel that it will ruin the whole trip. This is our first trip to Europe, so I want to know if this is a legitimate concern?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you book the flight through Gate1? If you did, you need to contact them. You need to contact the company you booked the cruise through. Neither the cruise line nor the airline will work with you if Gate1 booked the entire trip. And Gate 1 usually books the cheapest flights so you may get stuck with two connections on the way home if you change the flight to the one you want. Gate 1 recommends flights leaving no earlier than 11:30 AM so you should be okay.

Dec 27, 2018
Did you book the flight through Gate1? If you did, you need to contact them. You need to contact the company you booked the cruise through. Neither the cruise line nor the airline will work with you if Gate1 booked the entire trip. And Gate 1 usually books the cheapest flights so you may get stuck with two connections on the way home if you change the flight to the one you want. Gate 1 recommends flights leaving no earlier than 11:30 AM so you should be okay.
Gate 1 booked the entire trip and I have called and emailed my concerns to them.

Dec 27, 2018
Yes the entire trip was booked together by Gate 1. The cruise docks at 6 am, but passengers don’t disembark until 8am.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you received any response to your email or call?

As Razilo said, you will get off the ship first and it’s less then an hour to the airport. You should be fine.

But if you haven’t received at least a call back, here are our company contacts to try. I’ve never had a problem getting in touch with them, but they have to make any changes to your res. because you booked through them.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/gate-1-travel/

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Is this Cruise soon? It’s a shame you are completely missing Rome. Ask them to put you on a Flight 2 days later! (Or longer)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If Gate 1 booked this tour including air, there should not be a problem. If there is an issue, they would be responsible for getting you on another flight. That would be very expensive for them, so they should be careful. You should be able to depart the ship as soon as formalities are over after docking. Talk with the Cruise Director on the ship; they handle these kinds of situations all the time. You are very wise to check this all out before your trip begins.
However, I would be extremely concerned if they are ignoring your questions and requests for information. Or have you not contacted them yet? If they are not going to extend an adequate level of customer service before you depart, what are you supposed to do if something goes wrong during the trip?

Dec 27, 2018
If Gate 1 booked this tour including air, there should not be a problem. If there is an issue, they would be responsible for getting you on another flight. That would be very expensive for them, so they should be careful. You should be able to depart the ship as soon as formalities are over after docking. Talk with the Cruise Director on the ship; they handle these kinds of situations all the time. You are very wise to check this all out before your trip begins.
However, I would be extremely concerned if they are ignoring your questions and requests for information. Or have you not contacted them yet? If they are not going to extend an adequate level of customer service before you depart, what are you supposed to do if something goes wrong during the trip?
I asked Gate 1 what would happen if we could not get to our flight on time and they said they could get us on another flight at our expense. That is why I am so concerned.

Dec 27, 2018
I asked Gate 1 what would happen if we could not get to our flight on time and they said they could get us on another flight at our expense. That is why I am so concerned.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Oh my, these people are awful. They book it, you can't make the flight they booked from the cruise they booked, they won't help you make the flight, and if there's a problem, you pay for their lack of customer service. I guess all you can do is keep contacting them until someone who cares picks up the phone and gives you some support. Nevertheless, it seems to me that the arrangements will be fine, unless the ship is late arriving. I don't remember ... did you purchase trip insurance for this adventure?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Having done this - you should be ok. We had the same time flight and made it with no problem from the cruise pier. As long as you have the NCL transfer you can walk off with your luggage to make the process a little quicker and be among the first off the ship.

Dec 27, 2018
Having done this - you should be ok. We had the same time flight and made it with no problem from the cruise pier. As long as you have the NCL transfer you can walk off with your luggage to make the process a little quicker and be among the first off the ship.
Gate 1 takes care of transfer and I don’t think it is through NCL, but that would at least make me feel better to be directed where to go.