Flight Change Causes Forced Overnight Stay

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 9, 2017
Delta has changed our connecting flight home from ATL several times which now causes us to miss the last flight out of the day forcing us to stay overnight in ATL. There is now not enough time to claim our baggage in the International Terminal and go through customs to make it to the last flight. We purposefully planned our vacation to arrive home the same day and avoided any flights that would cause an overnight. The cost of a hotel, additional food, and any other expenses were not in the planned budget for this trip. Being a Friday night, of course the rates at the hotels are higher than weekdays! I feel that Delta should be responsible for the cost of the hotel or give us a hotel voucher for compensation of our additional expense due to their schedule change. I've contacted the Sky Miles Member customer service and they claim that will not cover the cost of the hotel. Does Delta have any responsibility for this forced change? Should they be responsible for our additional expense?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you check other flights in Delta to see if they have something else that would work?

If flight times change enough to cause problems like this, you can tell Delta to cancel your flights and provide a full refund and you can rebook on another airline.

However that can elicit its own problems- mainly pricing.

Check Delta flights and see if there is another time of departure that works and if there is, ask
them to move you.

I just had this with them- I was booked Anchorage to Seattle to JFK. They changed my Anchorage flight to one with a double connection. But the had another flight that was my original flight wth a 4 hour layover in Seattle. I called and told them to move me to that flight- I'd rather sit in Seattle for 4 hours than a double connection.

Oct 9, 2017
I have. We are on the only flight of the day out of St. Lucia on Delta. Our flights for our vacation are tied to our vacation package through Sandals Resorts and they own the ticketing rights. The entire vacation package is already paid for. If there were any changes now there would be additional cost involved even switching to another airline and I believe the only other option is American. However, there is a Southwest flight out of ATL that we might be able to make but again, the cost of that flight would be out of our pockets too. Plus the rechecking of baggage that would take us all the way back to the domestic terminal from the International terminal at ATL-Hartsfield. That is the only option out of ATL for us that evening.

My questions as to Delta being responsible for the hotel stay is still unanswered. I don't see any other option for us to get home that night. I've searched. Since they've put us in an nearly impossible position, I feel they should bear some responsibility. I have not called back to ask for a supervisor but I doubt that would get me anywhere. Would an email to a Delta executive be advised?

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Buckeye Mom 07 Since Sandals owns the ticket and chose the airline, have you called them about the added expense?

In general, DL isn't responsible for any costs associated with their schedule changes (nice isn't it).

Oct 9, 2017
@Buckeye Mom 07 Since Sandals owns the ticket and chose the airline, have you called them about the added expense?

In general, DL isn't responsible for any costs associated with their schedule changes (nice isn't it).
I have called Sandals and they indicated there is nothing they can do about it either. However, I have not asked them about the Southwest flight. I was considering calling them to see if they could swap out the Delta connection from ATL with the Southwest flight. I'm doubtful that they have that ability with Southwest.

Feb 9, 2016
outside of the inconvenience of getting home a day later, I hope it works out in your favor. A free extra night at Sandals wouldn't be too bad!

Apr 10, 2017
Would Delta allow you to take the last flight of the day out of Atlanta to your home airport? Airlines are notorious for allowing insanely short connection times. Go ahead and book the tickets this way if you can. If you miss your flight because of their schedule they will likely pay for your hotel that night. You could also get lucky and be able to make the flight. I don't know for sure that it would work out this way but it's possible. My husband and I had our flight changed coming home from St. Martin one time and had to spend the night in Atlanta. We paid for the hotel ourselves. In hindsight I should have just booked the tight connection and taken our chances. At the least we might not have been out the cost of a hotel for the night.

Oct 9, 2017
outside of the inconvenience of getting home a day later, I hope it works out in your favor. A free extra night at Sandals wouldn't be too bad!
Sandals wanted to charge us $600 to stay another night. I did ask about that. Plus no availability of flights out the next day.

Let us know what happens.
I emailed the VP of Reservations and Customer Care. A Customer Care rep called me and explained that the Rule 240 applies to only "same day travel", which means that if any delay happens on the day that you are actually traveling then that rule applies. However, she did apologize that we've been extremely inconvenienced by their constant schedule changes since we booked our flights. They have given my husband and I $100 "Delta gifts" for a total of $200 as compensation for having to get a hotel overnight and costs associated with the stay. These Delta gifts are a choice of gift cards from various stores and/or a Delta gift card toward travel. In addition, on two of our flights they upgraded our seats to "preferred seats" which usually are $15 extra a piece. These seats are closer to the front of the plane. They have been very accommodating to us and overall I'd say that it is fair compensation for our situation. We are still not happy at all about the overnight but there is no other option that late at night from ATL to our final destination. I've just learned a lesson about making reservations too far in advance. Saw a deal on airfare and jumped on it.