Flight Cancelled

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 23, 2019
My flight AA2066 got cancelled from PHL to SAN on July 4th, 2019. We have been told it was a crew problem (the pilot was not arrived) the whole time, but right now they are saying it is a weather problem. Somehow, a later flight (which is suppose to fly 1 hour after us) actually took off and arrived at San Diego airport. In addition, some people did get compensations like hotel and food vouchers for the trip while some of us got nothing.

Here is the detailed version of what's happening:

So I arrived at the Philadelphia airport and ready to go in the afternoon. It was almost boarding time, and I was at the gate C23 to wait for boarding. Suddenly the crew told us, right before (around two mintues before boarding) the boarding time and said there will be a delay, because the pilot is on his way to here, he is on a flight and would be here around 8:30pm. However, on the screen the boarding time changed to 7:31pm which is weird, if you know the pilot is going to be here around 8:30pm, why change the departure time to 7:31? That got me suspicious because my past experience with airlines, including AA, if there was a delay due to crew problem, passengers usually get the notice ahead of time, but why told us at the last minutes? A little after, all of us saw the departure time was 8:31pm. So I got more suspicious, and went to ask if 8:31pm is the actual departure time, and the crew just repeat the pilot would be here around 8:30pm and there is no further information.

So around 8:15pm, the crew said we can board right now so the pilot can fly as soon as he arrives. We asked the flight attendant if the pilot would be okay to fly since he was on another plane, they told us the pilot was only a passenger who is trying to come here and do the work. We all board and wait in the plane for over an hour and we get the text said the flight has been canceled, and we got the text even before the flight attendant got the message. AA claimed that the pilot was here but was illegal to fly, so we have to cancel the flight. I was very mad and went to the customer assistant and tried to change the flight and get a hotel room near the airport, so I can have a place to stay. Somehow, the lady at the desk told us the delay was a weather problem, so there is no way we can get compensation of any kind, we can only change the flight.

If this is really a weather problem, not a crew problem, why the flight kept delay and canceled. We have been told it was a crew problem throughout the whole time, but why saying it is a weather issue and refuse to give out any compensation or vouchers?! Another flight that was later than us arrived at San Diego later that night. We have stayed in the airport for more than two hours, and in the airplane for an hour, and we still did not get to San Diego on the date that we are supposed to be. I was lucky to get a hotel room for the night, but there were so many people that stayed airport over that night.

Somehow, some of us were on the same flight to San Diego via transfer from LAX the second day, and we found out that some people said that they got vouchers for hotels or food or even both.

Please tell me if there is anything that I can do, and thank you for reading.

Jul 23, 2019
It’s possible the pilot that was supposed to fly you had a flight delay due weather where he was coming from. That is key to whether you are due compensation.
While on the plane, we asked the attendants and have been told he had arrived, and on his way to the plane, because he is at another terminal. However, we got notify said he was here but was illegal to fly, that's why I think it is a crew problem.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
It’s possible the pilot that was supposed to fly you had a flight delay due weather where he was coming from. That is key to whether you are due compensation.
That’s an interesting question because, for instance, if the pilot was late due to a rain storm while driving to the airport, could they claim weather?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The pilot probably timed out- have arrived too late to be permitted to fly again and are counted in those flyable hours. That’s what they mean by it being illegal for him to fly. So if the flight ringing him in was delayed due to weather, and his total time exceeded the max - he couldn’t fly your flight.

Under rules, pilots will be able to be on duty for nine to 14 hours — a number that will fluctuate based on factors such as when the pilot's day begins and how many segments he or she will fly in one day. Pilots will be able to fly no more than nine hours during that period.

We have company contacts on top of our page. Find the contacts for AA and write to them one at a time using this thread:
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Jul 23, 2019
The pilot probably timed out- have arrived too late to be permitted to fly again and are counted in those flyable hours. That’s what they mean by it being illegal for him to fly. So if the flight ringing him in was delayed due to weather, and his total time exceeded the max - he couldn’t fly your flight.

Under rules, pilots will be able to be on duty for nine to 14 hours — a number that will fluctuate based on factors such as when the pilot's day begins and how many segments he or she will fly in one day. Pilots will be able to fly no more than nine hours during that period.

We have company contacts on top of our page. Find the contacts for AA and write to them one at a time using this thread:
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Hi Neil,

Thank you for the response. We actually did asked the attendants if the pilot would be able to fly or not if he was on another flight, and they told us that he was actually a passenger, so there should be no problem. And I have reached out to them recently for this problem, and they refuse to explain any further reasons and refuse to give any type of compensations.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This must have been a frustrating and exasperating experience. Experienced travellers have gone through this kind of thing too, often more than once. You'll probably never know the "why". I hope you go after American and be persistent. The more they get away with this kind of thing, the bolder they become at blaming everything on weather so they don't have to compensate the pax. Keep your narrative polite, short and to the point. You want whomever is reading it to want to help you. Please let us know the outcome.

The important lesson to take away here is to be prepared to get yourself a hotel room and a meal if necessary. Have a change of clothes, a snack, and all your personal care items in your carryon. Relying on the airline may or may not be successful.

Jul 23, 2019
This must have been a frustrating and exasperating experience. Experienced travellers have gone through this kind of thing too, often more than once. You'll probably never know the "why". I hope you go after American and be persistent. The more they get away with this kind of thing, the bolder they become at blaming everything on weather so they don't have to compensate the pax. Keep your narrative polite, short and to the point. You want whomever is reading it to want to help you. Please let us know the outcome.

The important lesson to take away here is to be prepared to get yourself a hotel room and a meal if necessary. Have a change of clothes, a snack, and all your personal care items in your carryon. Relying on the airline may or may not be successful.
I will definitely update the progress. I was flying from the East coast to the West coast which is a pretty long flight, so if they can actually use weather on this flight, I would assume they would use weather as excuse for many of other flights especially those long ones because it is easy to find some sort of weather problem somewhere in America that they could use as reason.

Jul 23, 2019
You absolutely should write to AA about this. You have nothing to lose. If this in fact is what happened you should have received a hotel voucher.
Use this thread to write:

Hi Neil, I have actually contacted them (directly to the executive team) a few days ago, and I am very frustrated by their response. I got both email and call response from them, but they refuse to give out any types of compensation or voucher. The reason I am writing this here is because their attitude, and if there is anything I could do further to deal with this type of issue.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
This is the second letter we've received about AA/Philadelphia on July 4. (The other passenger was attempting to get from Nassau back to PHL.) It seems like AA was having PHL-specific equipment problems on the 4th for some reason. They may just not have had enough planes.

Jul 23, 2019
This is the second letter we've received about AA/Philadelphia on July 4. (The other passenger was attempting to get from Nassau back to PHL.) It seems like AA was having PHL-specific equipment problems on the 4th for some reason. They may just not have had enough planes.
I am pretty sure we have the plane, because we actually board to the plane around 8:30 pm and being told that the pilot is on his way and as soon as he is here, we would take off. However, we got evacuated from the plane because the pilot is illegal to fly.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It you go all the way up the executive team and get nowhere you can see if it qualifies for a DOT complaint. The DOT will be able to find out the exact reason for the canceled flight and if you were due a hotel room they may be able to get AA to provide a credit to you.