Flight cancellation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 16, 2018
Two family members for whom I had purchased tickets, my wife, and I were booked on United Airline's Flight 65 departing Lisbon, Portugal on Wednesday Aug 29th at 8:25AM. After we got to the gate, an announcement was made that the departure was being delayed due to technical issues. Several announcements later, the flight ended up being canceled for the day and re-scheduled for the next day because of mechanical issues with the plane. The airline instructed passengers that overnight accommodations and food were being provided. My relatives stayed in the accommodations provided by the airline but my wife and I could not because we had perishable goods that needed to be refrigerated so we rented a car and stayed with relatives until the next day. We finally departed at 5:30 PM on Aug 30th on flight UA2833 (specially created for the purpose of returning passengers to the U.S.).

I inquired multiple times with airline personnel about being refunded for the expenses of car rental, gas and food and about any possible compensation for the flight cancellation and was told by all that travel had to be completed before I could seek reimbursement/compensation. We were told to visit www.united.com/unitedcares within 90 days.

We have done so, and all that is available is a $300 voucher for future travel. Calling customer service has not resulted in any better results. We have read that European Union rules dictate that we be compensated 600 Euros per ticket plus be refunded for the documented expenses but we are getting nowhere.

Could you possibly offer any advice as to how to proceed ? Thanks.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you refused the accommodations the airline offered they don’t owe you anything. I can guarantee you the hotel they put everyone in was a lot less cost than your car rental because they negotiate rates.

If they are offering you a voucher I would grab it because they don’t owe you anything but the room they were going to put you in.

Sep 16, 2018
If you refused the accommodations the airline offered they don’t owe you anything. I can guarantee you the hotel they put everyone in was a lot less cost than your car rental because they negotiate rates.

If they are offering you a voucher I would grab it because they don’t owe you anything but the room they were going to put you in.
I understand in this case that they would not be liable for the car rental cost, but what about compensation for the delay itself?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is where we get to deliver the bad news, I'm sorry to say. Your tix with an airline is for transporting you from one point to another. There are no rules or regulations that state when they need to do this. Airline delays and cancellations are happening every minute around the globe. If the problem is within the airline's control, they provide their passengers with a hotel and some meals ... sometimes. And Neil is right, you may or may not want to sleep where they send you. The very first cancellation I ever experienced was on New Years Eve day in Newark, and Continental gave me a voucher for a Howard Johnsons. We booked in at the EWR Marriott and had a lovely dinner with a good night's sleep. The few times I've encountered a cancellation, I just get rebooked for a flight the next day and go find my own accommodations. Travel is fraught with problems, a traveller needs to decide what's important, a couple hundred dollars on a credit card or a sub-standard hotel room.

Mar 8, 2018
As Neil mentioned, you are definetly owed money under EU261, unless there was some type of extraordinary circumstances out of their control. I would contact Customer Care again by email and ask specifically for compensation of 600 euros under EU261, because of your delay. I don't believe they are liable for your rental car.

I recently made a claim with United under similar circumstances. After I sent the email and got an case number, I called customer service and they "expedited" the case to the EU261 department. They told me they have a specific department that deals with these claims that can't be reached directly.

Last edited: