Flight Assistance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 23, 2018
I booked 8 people in February for our trip to Hawaii in August 2018. I did this myself w/o the assistance of AA Customer Service. The flights involved: DFW to LAX to OGG to HNL to SFO to DFW. Now, I'm attempting to book another person who has decided to join us; however, the AA website will not allow me. It continues to give me a couple of different error codes. One being, please select "American Airlines" at the bottom of the page. (I'm using the multi-city option when attempting to book this flight). Then, when I change to reflect "American Airlines" at the bottom of the page, then it tells me they are having problems with their system to please check back later. This has been an on-going problem for a couple of months now. I contacted AA Customer Service several weeks ago and was told they were probably changing some flights, to please check back. (I've continued to check back.) Yesterday, 05/22/18, I called AA again. First I spoke with a Customer Service rep who was able to find each flight in their system and priced it to me as $983 or $993. We paid $916.47 for each of our flights when I booked in February 2018. Since the time I booked in February, I have been able to get into the AA site a couple of times and the lowest I have seen this flight is about $885 per person. Also, I want to book this myself b/c I want to book it at midnight on either on a Tuesday (or Wednesday) to try and get a lesser price. But, with the system the way it is now it is not allowing me to even view the available flights myself. It is trying to force me to use an AA Representative. I only want to book one more person on this trip and I would like to do it myself, so I can try and get the best price available w/o having to pay an additional fee to AA for their Customer Service to book this flight. Also, if at all possible, I would like this person to be added to my reservation - not a separate reservation of their own. Can someone please give me guidance on how to do this? Thank you in advance.

Dec 12, 2014
Not knowing the exact dates & layover times of your original booking make it difficult to figure out why you are unable to book it on-line. I suspect the issue is that AA.com doesn't allow you to add a person to the existing reservation, which is why you have to call a rep.

However, a price increase from 916 to 993 isn't that bad considering several months have passed since the original booking. Having a separate reservation will only be a problem if there is a significant flight disruption where re-booking is involved.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You usually can’t book more than 8 people on one reservation unless you book a formal group. And obviously the price has gone up so you have to pay whatever the current price is. It’s a totally new reservation..

Unfortunately, without booking a formal group, you snooze you lose. You can’t book now at the prices you found in February.

It is also a myth that pricing goes down Tuesday or Wednesday. As the seats sell, prices usually only go up. The longer you wait the higher the price is going to be.

May 23, 2018
Not knowing the exact dates & layover times of your original booking make it difficult to figure out why you are unable to book it on-line. I suspect the issue is that AA.com doesn't allow you to add a person to the existing reservation, which is why you have to call a rep.

However, a price increase from 916 to 993 isn't that bad considering several months have passed since the original booking. Having a separate reservation will only be a problem if there is a significant flight disruption where re-booking is involved.

May 23, 2018
The eight people that I have booked are on 6 different reservation numbers. AA was kind enough to link all the reservation numbers together after I booked them; therefore, if there are any flight changes, we are all notified. EVEN IF, they don't allow me to add this person to an existing reservation, I'm not sure why I'm NOT able to book this person. I booked everyone else myself without the assistance of AA Customer Service.

May 23, 2018
You usually can’t book more than 8 people on one reservation unless you book a formal group. And obviously the price has gone up so you have to pay whatever the current price is. It’s a totally new reservation..

Unfortunately, without booking a formal group, you snooze you lose. You can’t book now at the prices you found in February.

It is also a myth that pricing goes down Tuesday or Wednesday. As the seats sell, prices usually only go up. The longer you wait the higher the price is going to be.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The eight people that I have booked are on 6 different reservation numbers. AA was kind enough to link all the reservation numbers together after I booked them; therefore, if there are any flight changes, we are all notified. EVEN IF, they don't allow me to add this person to an existing reservation, I'm not sure why I'm NOT able to book this person. I booked everyone else myself without the assistance of AA Customer Service.
Maybe the flight or hotel is sold out. You really need to call AA for them to book this for you.
They can tell you if the flights or hotel are available or not. AA will not charge you to book it if you can’t book it through their site but they can.

The airlines (and every other supplier) is given a certain number of rooms they can sell. Once the rooms are sold, they can only get more rooms if the hotel gives them more to sell. Maybe their allotment is gone.

What are the dates? We can try to do a mock booking and see what happens. Give us the flight info and names of the hotel and room type and we can see if we can do it. I can also check with some of our suppliers and see if they have the same room and flights.

May 23, 2018
Aug 23 from D/FW to LAX (with layover in Austin, Tx)(Flt #2294 & #1459) --- Aug 24 from LAX to OGG (Flt #253) --- Aug 27 from OGG to HNL (Flt #7892) --- Aug 30 from HNL to SFO (with layover in Phoenix) (Flt #693 & #1880) --- Sept 1 from SFO to D/FW (#1198). According to the AA Rep yesterday, there are still seats available on this flight. I - for some unknown reason - just can't book it myself this time. If you try a mock booking, will you please let me know the cost, please. (I really didn't think I could add this person to an existing booking, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.) Thank you for your time and effort.

May 23, 2018
That is what the AA rep was telling me yesterday (too many segments), but I'm baffled why I was able to do it myself back in February. Just doesn't make sense to me. Thank you for your time and effort. Have a great day.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What did you put in your original request from DFW to OGG? Did you request it that way and got the separate flights or did you deliberately do all those segments? You could have done this with less flights, especially getting from DFW to OGG.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you book the segments like this -

8/23 DFW -OGG
8/27 OGG - HNL
8/30- HNL-DFW

You will be able to book. The only problem I find is that the segment to LAX on 2294 and 1459 is not available. You have to book different flights. They aren’t showing that as available.

May 23, 2018
We intentionally booked this many segments to break up the flight time from DFW to OGG (and then from HNL to DFW). (The only two segments that I didn't actually request was the layover in Austin, Texas and the layover in Phoenix. (Our first time to go to Hawaii was a non-stop flight and it is just a lot of air time, so we were trying to divide it up some.)

Side note: We flew to Argentina non-stop once, too. Probably will never do that again. lol!!!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The only other option is to book all one way tickets. For ecnonmy seats, (not basic economy) I found total price on AA"s website of $815 without the OGG - HNL flight . AA doesn't have any flights going from OGG - HNL - if it was through Hawaiian Airlines, its a different flight number but all the flights were about $80 so you can add that on.

That is the only way I can see of doing it without having AA do it for you. Why are you resistant to AA doing it for you?

May 23, 2018
Ok. Let me try that option. The flight from OGG to HNL is def operated by Hawaiian Airlines according to our other iteneraries.

I know you said Tuesday/Wednesday at midnight has "no bearing" on the rates, but it has been my experience that if I CAN find a cheaper rate, THEN it is at midnight on one of those two days - generally Tuesday at midnight. With that being said, my family is asleep at midnight and if I had to call AA for assistance, then I would wake the rest of the family up with being on the phone sitting at our computer trying to get assistance through AA.

I may just have to bite the bullet and let them book it. I'll check your way out and see what I can come up with. Thank you kindly for your assistance.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What time is the flight from OGG - HNL? You can do directly to the Hawaiian Airline website and find their flight number for the code share and price it.

I am a travel agent and I can tell you that is not true about the Tuesday/Wed thing - that is no longer the case. What you could do is use a website such as Hopper.com or something similar to monitor pricing.

You might want to read some of these stories:

https://www.hopper.com/articles/2450/does-time-of-day-matter-when-booking-flights

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/04/che...ut-heres-how-to-save-on-your-trip-anyway.html

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/tuesday-travel-booking-myth-busted-190000112.html

If you want this woman to be on your flights - get them booked as soon as possible and forget about the midnight thing. As seats sell out, the pricing goes higher.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We intentionally booked this many segments to break up the flight time from DFW to OGG (and then from HNL to DFW). (The only two segments that I didn't actually request was the layover in Austin, Texas and the layover in Phoenix. (Our first time to go to Hawaii was a non-stop flight and it is just a lot of air time, so we were trying to divide it up some.)

Side note: We flew to Argentina non-stop once, too. Probably will never do that again. lol!!!
If I flew clients on that itinerary they would fire me. The hassle of getting on and off, going through security more times that you need to, sitting for hours waiting for connecting flights is a huge hassle. Remember, the flight time you are seeing takes into account the 5 hour time difference between Hawaii so a direct from from DFW to OGG is less than 7 hours. You are adding much more time to that by booking indirect. Most people would prefer to sit for 7 hours on a plane than spend two days in an airport - but that is what our clients want.

May 23, 2018
We are actually staying a night in LA and a night in San Fran. NO, I didn't just pick these segments to go through security more. We are actually arriving early in each city and having a full day and night in LA and then in San Fran.

I did price the flights individually as you suggested earlier AND with booking directly (including Hawaiian Air), the price is $910.00 for all segments.