Fishy Behavior within Hertz

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 17, 2018
On the morning of Friday, March 16, 2018, I received a call from Hertz’s claim center saying that they had a bill for me that I needed to pay for the damage on the rental car, which I don’t believe I am responsible for. I feel something fishy within Hertz’s organization.

Five months ago, on Oct 13, 2017, I rented a car from Hertz in the morning, and returned it in Chicago O’Hare airport in the afternoon of the same day. The staff there inspected the vehicle, and let me go.

Two weeks later, on Oct 29, 2017, I received an email from a Hertz Location Manager of O’Hare Airport stating that the agent got to the vehicle I was not present, and they found a damage on the vehicle on the passenger rear door, which was totally not true. In the email, that manager also attached an incident report, and asked me to sign on it.

Then I replied to her on the same day, on Oct 29, 2017, without signing on the report, stating that I didn’t believe there was any damage when I returned the vehicle, and I was NOT responsible for that damage. I also stated in the email, when I returned the vehicle in O'Hare, the Hertz staff did come to the vehicle to check the gas level, and scanned the bar code on the vehicle, and she even walked around the vehicle to inspect the car. I even asked her if I could get the receipt, and I was told I would receive the E-receipt through the email.

Additionally, I stated that I had two senior persons, and the check-in baggage with me, so I could not just get out of the car, and ran away without their staff notification since their staffs were always along the return vehicle lane. So when the manager said in her email "the agent stated when they got to the vehicle you were not present", what the agent stated was not true.

I then stated that I didn't know what happened after I returned the car, but I was not responsible for the damage on that door. And finally I asked her to call me if she had any further question.
But since I replied to the email, I have NOT heard anything from Hertz on this issue until today I received a call from the claim center.

There must be something unethical within Hertz’s organization. At least I cannot see any integrity within Hertz’s O’Hare location.

Hertz should verify and correct it.

Any suggestion or advice?

Here attached the email I received from Hertz’s location manager in O’Hare.
“Hello *****
It looks like you rented a vehicle from the Chicago O'Hare location and returned on 10/13/17. The agent stated when they got to the vehicle you were not present.
There was damage on the vehicle when it was returned on the passenger rear door Were you aware of the damage or did something happen while in the vehicle? Was the vehicle parked anywhere where someone could have hit the vehicle?
Attached is a copy of the picture taken of the damage on the vehicle. We would need an vehicle incident report filled out for this vehicle as well.
If you have an question feel free to ask.”

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Michael, this is becoming such a problem we actually have a thread on how to handle it. If you look at the posts we have under Car Rentals, almost every single one is for the exact same issue you are experiencing.

Start dealing with Hertz. Corporate offices as we tell you to here, stop dealing with the local office and follow the instructions exactly as we tell you to. In almost every situation the claims were dropped when this process was followed:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

We also have a story on the car rental forum about how to protect yourself when renting a car. Use that going forward and hopefully you will never have this problems again.

Mar 17, 2018
Michael, this is becoming such a problem we actually have a thread on how to handle it. If you look at the posts we have under Car Rentals, almost every single one is for the exact same issue you are experiencing.

Start dealing with Hertz. Corporate offices as we tell you to here, stop dealing with the local office and follow the instructions exactly as we tell you to. In almost every situation the claims were dropped when this process was followed:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

We also have a story on the car rental forum about how to protect yourself when renting a car. Use that going forward and hopefully you will never have this problems again.
Hi Neil,

Thank you for the reply. With that saying, it is more like a corporate behavior?

Mike

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I rent from them frequently and it's never happened to me. I would say you were the unfortunate victim of sloppy or questionable admin that occasionally happens. People rarely write when something goes right so it appears these things always happen

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We take pictures of the car at pick up and drop off. I don’t know if we are just lucky thst this has never happened or if the people in the lots think we look crazy and don’t mess with us. But this has never happened to us either. Yet.