First Time Renter ; Enterprise Filed A Damage Claim...

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 12, 2017
Hey guys. Hope everyone's doing well. Wondering if you can help me with this problem.

In late July during a huge storm a tree totaled my car. I quickly filed an insurance claim, my insurance set me up with a rental through Enterprise.

I went to Enterprise the next day to get my rental. One employee was working there. And he was very backed up with phone calls and a couple in store customers. He quickly asked if I was picking up and he brought me outside, did a very quick general walk through, and apologized that the car hasn't been vacuumed. I waived the insurance he offered and he let me know I can take advantage of dropping off the vehicle after hours if needed. And he quickly sent me on my way.

I had the car for almost 3 weeks in which everything was great. I filled up the tank and dropped it off after hours on a Sunday evening on August 14th.

10 days later I received a letter in the mail stating a damage claim was filed on the car I rented. And that was pretty much all it stated.

I wanted everything in writing so I sent a polite e-mail to customer help asking if they can elaborate on the claim.

I received no response. 9 days later I sent another polite e-mail to executive David Nestor. A week passed no response. Then Christine Taylor-Broughton. A week passed no response.

Then I received a letter in the mail on Saturday (9/09) with the repair cost (Nearly $900) claiming there was "hood damage". It did not state scratches or dents or what the damage actually consisted of.

They attached 3 small printed photos of the supposed damage but I do not see anything. The images were small and printed on a inkjet printer with scan line issues. Yet the hood looked perfectly normal to me.

I then received a voicemail yesterday from an Enterprise regional manager contacting me because he seen "I had questions" and that "All prior damage is filed" and "He'd like to get this wrapped up by tomorrow."

I know I did not cause any damage to this vehicle. The images they sent show me nothing and the outrageously priced bill tells me nothing.

Where do I go from here?

Feb 9, 2016
They attached 3 small printed photos of the supposed damage but I do not see anything. The images were small and printed on a inkjet printer with scan line issues. Yet the hood looked perfectly normal to me.

I then received a voicemail yesterday from an Enterprise regional manager contacting me because he seen "I had questions" and that "All prior damage is filed" and "He'd like to get this wrapped up by tomorrow."
GREAT! the Enterprise manager is essentially telling you that they have records on the vehicle!

I would call him back and ask for his email, or ask the person who answers the phone for his email, letting him know that you prefer to discuss the matter via email. or see if you can find his email on the internet (try linkedin) Once you obtain his email, email him, forwarding the pictures. Tell him you deny that any damage occurred during your rental period, and ask him to refer to the pictures you were sent, pointing out that no damage is visible. quickly describe your rental experience obtaining the vehicle and let him know that you enjoyed driving the vehicle and appreciated the employees professionalism, despite being under pressure. Close the email by reiterating that you did not cause any damage and, therefore, ask him to close the claim and let him know you await his reply.

if he decides to move forward with the claim then you can move on to request all documents regarding the vehicle, as outlined here:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

Sep 12, 2017
Thank you for the tips, @sas80.

I actually just got off the phone with the manager and he was surprisingly understanding during the quick call. I declined the claim and he gave me his e-mail. Without me even asking he said he's going to look over the previous and current rental agreements as well as surveillance footage. He even agreed that he couldn't see any damage in the photos the DCU provided.

Which is all very nice BUT...

That doesn't change the fact that if the damage is still pinned on me I need copies of everything he's looking at including clear photos of the damage.

He said he's going to update me later today. I'm a pretty cynical person so we'll see where this goes.

Feb 9, 2016
Thank you for the tips, @sas80.

I actually just got off the phone with the manager and he was surprisingly understanding during the quick call. I declined the claim and he gave me his e-mail. Without me even asking he said he's going to look over the previous and current rental agreements as well as surveillance footage. He even agreed that he couldn't see any damage in the photos the DCU provided.

Which is all very nice BUT...

That doesn't change the fact that if the damage is still pinned on me I need copies of everything he's looking at including clear photos of the damage.

He said he's going to update me later today. I'm a pretty cynical person so we'll see where this goes.
I would send over an initial email documenting and recapping what you said in the phone conversation. thank him for being pleasant and easy to speak too and ask him to email, not call you, with his findings.

At the point he gets back to you, you can either exhale and move on because the claim is closed, or you can start the process of requesting all of the documentation.

Unfortunately what tends to happen is they say "we have no previous record of the damage so we believe it occurred during your rental period" but sit tight and think good thoughts because that hasn't happened yet.

Sep 12, 2017
So I haven't heard a thing since Tuesday (9/12) even though he said he'd get back to me same day.

So I'm leaving this alone.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with you to leave it alone at this point. If you get an email that they are dropping it - great. If you get any more emails requesting money, then escalate it to the first executive we show on our company contact list.

Sep 12, 2017
It's been 2 months since I returned the vehicle. And nearly a month since I was told I'd be updated on the damage claim. I haven't gotten any phone calls or received anything in the mail. Enterprise has gone silent. I'm still leaving this alone but if it's dropped, man, at least let me know.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It's been 2 months since I returned the vehicle. And nearly a month since I was told I'd be updated on the damage claim. I haven't gotten any phone calls or received anything in the mail. Enterprise has gone silent. I'm still leaving this alone but if it's dropped, man, at least let me know.
Likely they've dropped the claim but can't be bothered to let you know. There has been such an erosion of customer service over the last twenty years ... the lack of communication by well-known companies boggles the mind. Many firms in California have always had the attitude that if you don't like it, step aside because there are plenty of customers to take your place. That credo seems to be spreading.

Feb 9, 2016
my intuition is screaming the same thing my mother screamed at me after I had my first child...

"don't wake a sleeping baby!"

Let it go for now. file away that email safely just in case you ever need to dredge it up and say "yes, I did try to engage the company in order to find a resolution" but don't worry about it.