Fell at Costa Rica Four Seasons

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 28, 2015
I was at the spa yesterday and stepped into their cold dip pool. It is a shaded pool and has dark tiles. I looked but didn't see a step and when I stepped forward, I missed the step in the pool. I fell and injured myself. I've seen hotel doctor twice and am in pain still. I'm
concerned about med bills, missed time at work.

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
I was at the spa yesterday and stepped into their cold dip pool. It is a shaded pool and has dark tiles. I looked but didn't see a step and when I stepped forward, I missed the step in the pool. I fell and injured myself. I've seen hotel doctor twice and am in pain still. I'm
concerned about med bills, missed time at work.
Dear MsKo,

I'd certainly follow up on this while you're still at the property. Talk to management. Ask what they're willing to do for you, and more than that, scout up all the corporate contact information you can, just in case you need it in future. Also, if at all possible, take pictures of the pool step on which you injured yourself. And keep track of who you talk to, when and what they say. If you come to feel that your concerns haven't been addressed to your satisfaction, get back in touch with us.

Grant

Feb 28, 2015
Dear MsKo,

I'd certainly follow up on this while you're still at the property. Talk to management. Ask what they're willing to do for you, and more than that, scout up all the corporate contact information you can, just in case you need it in future. Also, if at all possible, take pictures of the pool step on which you injured yourself. And keep track of who you talk to, when and what they say. If you come to feel that your concerns haven't been addressed to your satisfaction, get back in touch with us.

Grant
Thanks, Grant. I met with hotel mgr who took a written report by me. I had to sign it. I was very thorough and got name of GM - made a note on report that I want him to be notified of what was said.
I got a copy.

I've got pics of where I fell plus the bruise on my arm.

They have paid for my doctor visits here and a 1 hour massage. I'm more worried about how my back will feel once at home. I have a $4k deductible on my med plan. I'm worried about possible lost wages. I have not mentioned legal action. Yet.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No. But would it cover my medical bills when I return to US? I don't think so. How about loss of wages? Pain & suffering?
It won't but it would cover if you went to the hospital while you were there to get treated. You may actually have to sue the resort for any pain, doctors visits or missed work due to this incident so make sure you get copies of all of the paperwork - the report, treatment you received and take pictures of what caused the fall while you are there. Those pics are important.

Feb 28, 2015
Hotel paid for my visits to their onsite doc and meds. I've got photos, medical docs in English and my statement of the incident with cc to GM. I will be seeking legal advice once stateside.

Sep 22, 2014
MsKo
I believe I'm the only poster who is an attorney. Also, I've had the same misfortune as you, twice. Once in the US (Virginia) and once in Australia. I retained a local attorney in both instances.

During the Reagan years, I spent considerable time in Costa Rica on numerous visits. There is (was) a very large American Ex Pat contingent living in Costa Rica. They have a daily English newspaper (Tico Times). I strongly suggest you speak with a local attorney in San Jose concerning your legal rights before leaving Costa Rica. Contact the US Embassy and use the Tico Times offices to locate an attorney who represents US citizens once they return home.

John

Feb 28, 2015
MsKo
I believe I'm the only poster who is an attorney. Also, I've had the same misfortune as you, twice. Once in the US (Virginia) and once in Australia. I retained a local attorney in both instances.

During the Reagan years, I spent considerable time in Costa Rica on numerous visits. There is (was) a very large American Ex Pat contingent living in Costa Rica. They have a daily English newspaper (Tico Times). I strongly suggest you speak with a local attorney in San Jose concerning your legal rights before leaving Costa Rica. Contact the US Embassy and use the Tico Times offices to locate an attorney who represents US citizens once they return home.

John
Oh no! I leave in the morning. Embassy not open.

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
MsKo

John
Hi MsKo,

It sounds as if John has a good idea, though. If nothing else, grab a copy of the Tico Times at the airport on your way home.

Grant