FEDEX delivered to wrong address

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I agree with the everything said above, re: lack of insurance coverage making it impossible to prove the actual value of what was shipped.

But just to add something on involving police. I live in a Boston neighborhood that, for whatever reason, has consistent problems with local FedEx delivery. Drivers frequently fail to finish their routes, so packages listed as "on truck for delivery" end up back at the warehouse and rescheduled - which can repeat for several days, if they are ever in fact delivered. In the most egregious cases, we've found that drivers will sometimes scan packages on their trucks as "delivered" so it appears that they completed their route, without actually leaving the package anywhere. This has been most obvious in cases where the system records a street address based on the truck's position at the time of the scan that doesn't actually correspond to a house. When that happens, the package remains essentially lost because FedEx officially thinks it's been delivered.

My neighbors and I have complained multiple times to FedEx (including writing company contacts) but seen no meaningful changes. However, we discovered that involving local police as a last resort can be helpful. Amazingly, having the police show up at the local facility stating "we have a report that your drivers may be stealing packages" ALWAYS results in the packages being "miraculously" located and delivered within hours.

Of course, given the above, most of us in my neighborhood avoid using FedEx - but sometimes online purchases don't give an option for choosing shipping, and we're stuck with them.
Does this happen to packages that require a signature? This is the first time that I have heard about such terrible customer service from Fed Ex. What a bummer that you and your neighbors have to deal with what amounts to laziness and lack of professionalism on the part of the drivers.

Dec 26, 2018
FedEx Priority shipments requiring signatures come from a different warehouse and are *usually* ok. The problem is generally with FedEx Home Delivery, which is cheaper and often chosen by online merchants. I've had enough problems with them that if I'm trying to order something online and can't choose the shipping method, I just cancel and purchase somewhere else.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree with the everything said above, re: lack of insurance coverage making it impossible to prove the actual value of what was shipped.

But just to add something on involving police. I live in a Boston neighborhood that, for whatever reason, has consistent problems with local FedEx delivery. Drivers frequently fail to finish their routes, so packages listed as "on truck for delivery" end up back at the warehouse and rescheduled - which can repeat for several days, if they are ever in fact delivered. In the most egregious cases, we've found that drivers will sometimes scan packages on their trucks as "delivered" so it appears that they completed their route, without actually leaving the package anywhere. This has been most obvious in cases where the system records a street address based on the truck's position at the time of the scan that doesn't actually correspond to a house. When that happens, the package remains essentially lost because FedEx officially thinks it's been delivered.

My neighbors and I have complained multiple times to FedEx (including writing company contacts) but seen no meaningful changes. However, we discovered that involving local police as a last resort can be helpful. Amazingly, having the police show up at the local facility stating "we have a report that your drivers may be stealing packages" ALWAYS results in the packages being "miraculously" located and delivered within hours.

Of course, given the above, most of us in my neighborhood avoid using FedEx - but sometimes online purchases don't give an option for choosing shipping, and we're stuck with them.
EXTREMELY well said, David. And Steve is so right - this is a most instructive and thought-provoking thread. We can all learn from it and be more careful in the future. The "instant" delivery mentality today is suffering huge growing pains ... drivers are over-worked, pushed to do more than humanly possible ... and they're making mistakes as well as overtly messing up deliveries and doing who-knows-what with the packages. And consumers aren't being careful enough. The number of items being delivered is probably twice what it was five years ago. Delivery companies have shareholders, they can't just buy more trucks and hire more drivers to deal with the influx of business. Patina's comment reflects reality I think ... I have never had one minute's problem with any delivery service to my home or office. My neighbors are constantly up in arms over UPS and FedEx. The best solution I can think of is to get your deliveries at a place that's open long hours, is secure, and will sign for the deliveries. Kinda sad.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018
As a business owner, I would take this as an opportunity to always inform your clients who are planning on shipping such items to you to always (1) require a signature at the address and (2) insure the item.

At least that way, some future younger people (or, anyone) who may not yet be wise about or experienced about how some things sometimes simply don't work out the way we intend, will have a heads up to, hopefully, have a better outcomes than this unfortunate young man.
Best advice yet!

Jan 17, 2019

We have the same situation here in Denver. Recently I had ordered an item from a vendor who shipped and paid for 23 day delivery, arriving on Monday. I spend the day sitting on my front patio reading and waiting for delivery. At about 6:00 PM I checked delivery status online and it said an attempt to deliver had been made, but no one was home. This happened for the following three days as well.

On Friday I called the local FedEx warehouse about my package and was told it was "on the truck." I asked if they could give me the location of the truck, and they told me it was in the warehouse, and hadn't been dispatched all week. They said it might go out on the following Monday, but I could pick it up at the warehouse if I wanted.

I ended up driving 40 miles round trip in rush hour traffic to the warehouse to pick it up myself. I told them I was on the way to pick it up, but they didn't send anyone to retrieve it until I got there, so I waited another 20 minutes for that.

And they didn't even offer to refund the 2 day shipping fee.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have the same situation here in Denver. Recently I had ordered an item from a vendor who shipped and paid for 23 day delivery, arriving on Monday. I spend the day sitting on my front patio reading and waiting for delivery. At about 6:00 PM I checked delivery status online and it said an attempt to deliver had been made, but no one was home. This happened for the following three days as well.

On Friday I called the local FedEx warehouse about my package and was told it was "on the truck." I asked if they could give me the location of the truck, and they told me it was in the warehouse, and hadn't been dispatched all week. They said it might go out on the following Monday, but I could pick it up at the warehouse if I wanted.

I ended up driving 40 miles round trip in rush hour traffic to the warehouse to pick it up myself. I told them I was on the way to pick it up, but they didn't send anyone to retrieve it until I got there, so I waited another 20 minutes for that.

And they didn't even offer to refund the 2 day shipping fee.
You should use our company contacts and insist of it being refunded.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Same sort of thing happening here in Naples FL with Amazon’s newest delivery scheme.
At the time it is due to be delivered, one will get a text stating the package has been delivered.
Five out of six times that package is not delivered until Sometime the NEXT day, or maybe the second day after the delivery due date.
There is no way to notify Amazon that package had not been delivered, as that option that used to be a available on the Your Orders Page is no longer an option.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Same sort of thing happening here in Naples FL with Amazon’s newest delivery scheme.
At the time it is due to be delivered, one will get a text stating the package has been delivered.
Five out of six times that package is not delivered until Sometime the NEXT day, or maybe the second day after the delivery due date.
There is no way to notify Amazon that package had not been delivered, as that option that used to be a available on the Your Orders Page is no longer an option.
Just call Amazon they are very responsive.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Just call Amazon they are very responsive.
Tried that. Just got the runaround and a bunch of gobbledygoo verbiage. They don't even know who is delivering these days. Bottom line advice was to just wait and it will show up.
I don’t like not reporting a not delivered item as it seems to suggest I got it and if I still didn’t get it two days later why did it take me so long to report and undelivered item.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Tried that. Just got the runaround and a bunch of gobbledygoo verbiage. They don't even know who is delivering these days. Bottom line advice was to just wait and it will show up.
I don’t like not reporting a not delivered item as it seems to suggest I got it and if I still didn’t get it two days later why did it take me so long to report and undelivered item.
Ahhh NO you report a non delivered item! Just report it.

Mar 23, 2015
Ahhh NO you report a non delivered item! Just report it.
I think MMB's point was that there used to be a "This item didn't arrive" or something similar (I don't remember the exact verbiage) option on the YOUR ORDERS page on Amazon and that option is no longer there to report that your order did NOT get delivered, so REPORTING that your order did NOT get delivered is NOT an option in that sense any longer. MMB, my apologies if my interpretation of your intent is incorrect.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I think MMB's point was that there used to be a "This item didn't arrive" or something similar (I don't remember the exact verbiage) option on the YOUR ORDERS page on Amazon and that option is no longer there to report that your order did NOT get delivered, so REPORTING that your order did NOT get delivered is NOT an option in that sense any longer. MMB, my apologies if my interpretation of your intent is incorrect.
If you go to the main Amazon page, in the middle of the top black banner is a help button. That takes you to a page that has "Browse Help Topics" at the bottom where you will find "Where's My Stuff? ". This leads to "

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I too would use the Amazon “Where’s my stuff” link and also the Tracking # with whichever carrier was responsible. Report in both places.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Yes, @Mel65 - that is exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks for the nod.

Most of my packages delivered to my NaplesFL address are delivered by Amazon.
therefore contacting them through CS just got me the runaround.
tracking it just showed as package delivered, even when it wasn’t.

-this is last last instruction on the where’s my stuff link
  • Wait 48 hours - in rare cases packages may say delivered up to 48 hours prior to arrival
  • NOT so rare in my recent experience.

Thanks @weihlac for your instructions. I will give it a try if needed again, but as I said, if it’s being delivered by amazon there is just not much help offered except to wait.