FCC fines T-mobile $48 million for limiting "unlimited" data plans

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 3, 2015
FCC has fined T-mobile $7,5 million for throttling accounts with "excessive" data use that were advertised as "unlimited". In addition, affected customers will be given $35.5 million in data service or discounts on accessory equipment, and $5 million must be spent on tablets, computers or other devices to children in low-income school districts, and cover free mobile data for four years.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...d-by-fcc-for-hidden-limits-on-unlimited-data/
https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-reaches-48m-settlement-t-mobile-over-‘unlimited-data-plans

Feb 9, 2016
I remember realizing that my ATT phone, an unlimited account that I signed up for, was being throttled for data use. I was definitely surprised!

Most companies have treasury or authorized and unissued shares of stock.

T mobile at present has 822 million shares. If they simply sell 1 million shares of stock into the market over the course of 20 trading days - thats 50,000 shares a day - their volume is about 2.1 million a day - so it will no effect on price. Current priceis $48.96 a share -plus - 'future discounts' is a bogus number- the actual fine is $7.5 million thats nothing. Its the chief executive bonus.

Net Cost of the fine to the company? Zero.

This fine is meaningless. Its a cost of doing business - its about 1/10th to 1/20 the cost of upgrading the network to handle the data flow - they just saved $450 million. Looked at that way -its a bargain.

Jul 27, 2016
Most companies have treasury or authorized and unissued shares of stock.

T mobile at present has 822 million shares. If they simply sell 1 million shares of stock into the market over the course of 20 trading days - thats 50,000 shares a day - their volume is about 2.1 million a day - so it will no effect on price. Current priceis $48.96 a share -plus - 'future discounts' is a bogus number- the actual fine is $7.5 million thats nothing. Its the chief executive bonus.
Joe, I can assure you, if they started selling shares into the market (which they'd have to disclose), there would DEFINITELY be an investor reaction.

I agree that the fine is relatively trivial, but the idea that treasury stock is a piggybank of some sort is off-base.

Nov 19, 2016
Yes, and I have T-mobile on recording (legal in the state of Hawaii to record) stating that even though I pay for unlimited data and also pay EXTRA for (T-mobile plus) they say it's UNLIMITED, BUT I will NOT be able to use the Internet after 15gb (this is absolute one of my issues) They said that I will be "knocked off the tower I use, for the new users that have not exceeded a certain amount to data"
WHAT!

Nov 19, 2016
@Hawaii, have you filed a complaint with the FCC? If not, that's what you should do because they are the ones who can force TMobile to comply with their own terms if they are in fact not giving you what you paid for.

You can file here:

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Please let us know the outcome of your filing.
NO I have not. Believe I will now especially with what I've gone through with them. I don't quite understand tech stuff, but I do understand when they are stealing and bullying me.
Much
Mahalo

Nov 19, 2016
FCC has fined T-mobile $7,5 million for throttling accounts with "excessive" data use that were advertised as "unlimited". In addition, affected customers will be given $35.5 million in data service or discounts on accessory equipment, and $5 million must be spent on tablets, computers or other devices to children in low-income school districts, and cover free mobile data for four years.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...d-by-fcc-for-hidden-limits-on-unlimited-data/
https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-reaches-48m-settlement-t-mobile-over-‘unlimited-data-plans
I filed with FCC and I get this from T-mobile his morning

Nov 19, 2016
It's not letting me upload the picture, but it's an email saying Im eligible for a discount on an accessory in store.

*This is an FCC agreement.

What is anyone's take on this?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am so glad I have a Tracfone that cost $50 and I pay $100 annually for 400 minutes of talk and 400 minutes of data. I work in an office, so only use the thing when I travel. Even then, the concept of 'instant communication' is baffling to me. If I'm 5 minutes late for lunch, do I really need 3 messages from my friends on my phone? I'm right out in the parking lot, guys!

This whole cell thing has gotten out of hand. And the companies are definitely cleaning up, since people think they can't live without a cell phone.

Nov 19, 2016
True, but, they have become a necessity with today's age. Just because it is a convenience for the consumers, does not mean THE GIANTS can take advantage and rob us. what happened to integrity, honesty, loyalty. everything that made living easier back in the day. Its not right and yes, a lot of people will not do anything bout it, because they say it's too much of a headache. Of which it is, believe me. It has literally put my health at risk. There are some people that will fight for EVERYONE'S rights and suffer the consequences and then there are others that will do NOTHING. I know I am not the only one that is going through heck, because the GIANT is taking advantage, but I do know, standing up or what's right, I'm not only doing it for myself but, for the others that can't and for the ones that will come in the future. Hopefully , just hopefully we'll be able to make a difference, and STOP giants from taking advantage of consumers.

Nov 19, 2016
Don't respond. There is no way the FCC has contacted them already so this is just co-incidental,
I'm not going to respond . Not yet. Something is up though. I had the escalations department all me out of the blue and offer me a brand new phone of my choice, no matter the cost from my Samsung Note5, right after I get the letter from their legal department telling me NOT to contact them or else they will consider it harassment. I don't understand what is going on.

Nov 19, 2016
I HAVE A PLEASANT UPDATE I BELIEVE EVERYONE COULD APPRECIATE .
PERSISTENCE!!!!
THIS PROBLEM HAS LITERALLY TAKEN UP MONTHS AND MONTHS OF MY TIME, WITH BEING ON THE PHONE ALMOST EVERY OTHER DAY, A PLETHORA OF EMAILS...... IT'S WAS A NIGHTMARE!!!!
FINALLY! FINALLY, I HAD ONE OPERATOR THAT SIMPLY LISTENED TO ME, ANALYZE EVERYTHING AND FIXED EVERYTHING AND APOLOGIZED! HE EXPLAINED TO ME THAT THEY HAVE TO GO THROUGH MONTHS AND MONTHS OF TRAINING TO TRULY UNDERSTAND HOW TO READ THE BILLING. I COULD NOT BELIEVE HE TOLD ME THAT! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.
HOWEVER, I'M CURRENTLY WORKING ON ALL THE FACTS AND HOW EVERYTHING WENT DOWN AND WHAT CAME OUT OF EVERYTHING . I WILL POST IT AS SOON AS I'M FINISHED .
THERE IS HOPE!
ALOHA

I'm not going to respond . Not yet. Something is up though. I had the escalations department all me out of the blue and offer me a brand new phone of my choice, no matter the cost from my Samsung Note5, right after I get the letter from their legal department telling me NOT to contact them or else they will consider it harassment. I don't understand what is going on.