False Avis claim, no $ mentioned

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 16, 2019
I rented a car from Avis at the beginning of July. It was my first rental and I was very careful with the car. I even asked two strangers at the last gas station I stopped at if the car looks okay and how clean I should return it. (I returned it very clean.) When I returned it, the Avis representative said she had remembered me from when I had picked it up and said I was good to go as she saw there is no damage to the car and I am returning it in the condition in which I picked it up. She didn't inspect the car carefully which surprised me.

I drove for about 1100 miles. I remember hitting the breaks hard once (don't know if they have a way to track that, and it wasn't to avoid accident, just changed my mind last minute about whether I wanted to stop look at some scenery).

A month later, I got a letter from Sedgwick claiming that the vehicle was damaged while in my possession and asking for details about the accident. The letter does not state any details about the "damage" or any amounts I am liable for. I paid with American Express so had their insurance and also got a loss of revenue insurance from Avis. LDW.

I do not have pictures from when I returned the car, nor do I remember getting any document from Avis despite asking for one when I returned the rental. The lady there seemed so chill - perhaps that should have made me more suspicious.

I do not live in the United States any more.

What should I do, if anything? All other posts I read about false claims said that the Sedgwick letter listed the $ impact of the alleged damage; the letter I got doesn't.

Thanks!