Facebook

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 18, 2019
My son and I started a business about 2 years ago.We have invested a lot of time and money on attorneys, software, website design, etc.
Our business model requires an active partnership with both Facebook and Instagram.
We were ready to launch this week.
Last month I noticed a charge of almost $500 from Facebook on Paypal that we never made.
Again, we never made that charge.
I contacted Paypal and they asked Facebook for details. They never got a response.
Paypal ruled in our favor and refunded the money to our account.
This triggered Facebook to restrict our account.
We have e-mailed Facebook for the better part of 2 days but are told that the case is closed.
I have sent proof that Paypal provided, that we did not make the disputed charge.
We get the same response...the case is closed.
I am not over reacting when I tell you that my son may drop out of college to try to solve this.
All that I am asking for is a contact for someone who can look at the details, and reverse the decision.
Please, please.
You can not imagine how stressful this is.

Thank you,

Sep 18, 2018
This sounds as if it might be a cumulative charge for promoting your page or boosting your post(s), both of which incur an incremental cost based on audience reach up to a budget you set. Are you sure you haven't done either of those things -- or that one of your service providers who might have access to the FB page for your business hasn't done it on your behalf?

Under your and your son's personal Facebook profiles, click on the down arrow in the upper right of the menu bar and click on Manage Ads. What does it show? On your business page, click on Ad Center in the menu bar. What does it show? Ask anyone who has access to your FB business to do the same. (Click on Settings for your business page, and then Page Roles to see who has access.) If those don't show anything, you have a case.

I manage thousands of dollars in FB ads/boosts a year. Facebook doesn't just randomly charge Paypal accounts.

Sep 18, 2019
This sounds as if it might be a cumulative charge for promoting your page or boosting your post(s), both of which incur an incremental cost based on audience reach up to a budget you set. Are you sure you haven't done either of those things -- or that one of your service providers who might have access to the FB page for your business hasn't done it on your behalf?

Under your and your son's personal Facebook profiles, click on the down arrow in the upper right of the menu bar and click on Manage Ads. What does it show? On your business page, click on Ad Center in the menu bar. What does it show? Ask anyone who has access to your FB business to do the same. (Click on Settings for your business page, and then Page Roles to see who has access.) If those don't show anything, you have a case.

I manage thousands of dollars in FB ads/boosts a year. Facebook doesn't just randomly charge Paypal accounts.

Do you have any contacts with Facebook? I am at a complete dead end. I sent emails, letters, contacted my congressman, and am in touch with a litigator. I would happily pay for your help.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Company contacts for Facebook were provided in the 2nd post. Please read this post about how to write. If you would like to post your email here prior to sending, we can help you edit it if necessary.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you have any contacts with Facebook? I am at a complete dead end. I sent emails, letters, contacted my congressman, and am in touch with a litigator. I would happily pay for your help.
You haven’t answered our question- did you do any type of Ads in Facebook?

Please see post #6 about what the charge can be due and how to see it in your FB Page.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
As a small business owner, I absolutely do understand how devastating this situation must be. I think there's an inadvertent reason FB is giving you a bad time. I'm reading that you filed the billing dispute before trying to rectify the situation. That's a bad move and most people aren't aware of the "rules". When you contact the FB people, take responsibility for filing a dispute before attempting to reconcile the situation. A dispute is the LAST step, not the first.

I would certainly expend a great deal of time and effort to find something better than FB for your business. FB's clients are their advertisers, not their users. When there are problems, there are rarely any solutions, FB just ignores the queries.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
As jsn55 says, if you are building a business based on FB, your foundation for your business is insecure and can crumble without any recourse. You need a foundation built on a service that answers to you. FB does/will not answer to you. Your Paypal dispute should have been the absolute last way to fix this; FB may not ever reinstate your account. If FB is so crucial to your business why would you argue over $500 without even finding out the facts before disputing the charge?
Start over : https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/facebook/

Sep 18, 2018
Rather than do all of that, please follow my instructions in post #6 and see if it shows whether you have previous promotional campaigns tied to your, your son's personal profiles or your business page. Be sure to change the date of the reporting to the time frame under question.

I have no special access to anyone at Facebook, even though I oversee thousands of dollars in FB boosts on behalf of a major media company. That's the rub with Facebook: It's an opaque organization, and you're playing on its turf. It sets all the rules and changes them whenever it wants. Even when I've had "account reps" assigned to my employers, they've been of little help.

Having written all of that, again, Facebook doesn't randomly charge Paypal accounts. You or someone on your behalf has likely requested a service that incurs a charge.

Feb 2, 2018
There was a recent story by Michelle in the newsletter about someone who ordered online from a clothing company and returned the merchandise but never rec'd a refund. My daughter ordered a dog kennel online and again, similar to that story, the merchandise was shipped but never rec'd even though they claim it was delivered. Could you point me to a link for that story? Would like to send it to my daughter...thanks!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There was a recent story by Michelle in the newsletter about someone who ordered online from a clothing company and returned the merchandise but never rec'd a refund. My daughter ordered a dog kennel online and again, similar to that story, the merchandise was shipped but never rec'd even though they claim it was delivered. Could you point me to a link for that story? Would like to send it to my daughter...thanks!
If you do a search on the blog you should be able to find the story.

https://www.elliott.org/