Facebook Marketplace Scams

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 5, 2019
Facebook Marketplace is a site for its members of Facebook to sign up and begin selling or buying goods, services etc.
I was listing items for sale and found the Marketplace site to be friendly and safe. I wanted to look around on Marketplace and as I scrolled thru the site found a listing obviously thru a company becauese the listing looked more lije a store with its flashing flames and deals one could not pass up. Its called a daily deal. This particular day the Murphy Bed was on sale. I tapped and found exclusive info and all looked well to me . I entered my credit card number and info and then I backed out. 1 or 2 days later I seen the same deal and sent off my info and card number and waited the 23 days max time needed for my delivery to come. Well , not only did my furniture never come , but I had already been charged for 3 beds. The initial time and the second time totalling over $320.00.
I tried contacting Facebook but as I was trying to reach Facebook, I was deterred and told to contact the company first. I looked on my Facebook Maketplace"Order" which is where you can see all your teansactions when ordering thru Facebook and. Nothing appeared except for a previous order. I grew sick. I couldnt do anything about this and Facebook wouldnt talk to me unless i contacted the company so I had to go back to that previous order I had made which did show up on my "Order " part of facebook marketplace site and had to file a complaint like that. I was quickly notified by facebook that since I tapped on the listing and it took me to a 3rd party site, I could not file a claim to get my money back and I grew upset. I read that Facebook would protect and reimburse if anything could not be resolved or if I had gotten scammed on Marketplace thru Buyers Protection, but nothing because that listing took me to 3rd party site.( And took me right back when it was done. To me that didnt seem to be a 3rd party site because it wouldnt have taken me back to facebook!!)
Well the beds never came , facebook wont help me and thatmade me suspisious because they didnt even seem to investigate. I searched facebook and seen so many complaints of the same nature as mine and facebook did not help them either. Being that thousands of complaints came to facebook and they were rejected to qualify for Buyers Protection made me suspicious. Mainly because the same company was still advertising on Marketplace and had not been taken off!!!!! I read that Ms.Epps, Martketing Director Facebook claimed that they did not have adverstisers that they sold air space to and that facebook didnt really have complaints or scams on their site, trashing Craigslist claiming they were a safer site to shop and buy from. Untrue. Facebook has a whole marketing department exclusivley to get companies to go with them and all sorts of packages to buy and they even will school these companies how to advertise on Marketplace in the rest of Facebook so that they can make money. They even showed how that these companies should invite their friends and get them to make positive comments of the products and then make it loom like they are safe to buy from due to the great reviews from these so- called customers. Videos and actions and ways to contact each department for each step in advertising and classes.
I couldnt even get anybody from facebook to get in contact with until I figured out I could sneak thru that last purchase and did it there. Needless to say Advertisers are not screened at all but facebook will prep them to just make them all money. The company I complained about is still scamming peopke out of theis money and I cant stop it. The scam company finally sent me an email and said just said " be patient" but I realized I got scammed. The email address is no longer valid and I hit a brick wall. I check and seen the same beds and the company continually to sell stuff on Facebook. I seen all the comments about how people have purchased from the site and got scammed. I think Facebook should have closed the companies down, right after they seen that the company was not legit because of all the complants of us people who never got the product but were charged, nd the fact that the sale never shows up in the "Order" part which is the only passage way into getting a claim opened thru facebook. It all seems to me like Facebook is in on this scam. I want to know how to get my money back. I also want to know how facebook is able to continue to allow these scamming companies to not only advertise but to basically have facebook as a safe heaven to put up the fake listings and have facebook back them up as facebook becomes the middle man and defends the scammers as welk as themselves and give us , the members of facebook a lame excuse of 3rd party site which excludes them from paying up from the Buyers Protection they offer which makes a person think its safe which is misleading and makes people want to buy because it all looks so safe abd tge deals are so great who could loose right? WRONG! Im discussted in Facebook . I want some sort help.FYI I contacted the Federal Trades Commission and this is not the first time Facebook has had scams occur on their site. I will be filing a claim thru them as well. Please help me so nobody else is a victim.

Dec 19, 2014
1) Your post is unreadable
2) How do you get your money back? You used a credit card. Since you have attempted to work with the vendor and the issue is not resolved, you file a dispute with your credit card company.
3) Of course advertisers aren't screened on FB. If FB identifies an advertiser as a scam, they will take them down, but scammers will simply re-post under slightly different name. At the end of the day, he buyer has to do some due diligence.

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
This is my understanding of your experience
  • I found a daily deal for a Murphy Bed on Facebook Marketplace.
  • I entered my credit card number and information, but then "backed out"
  • Later I purchased the bed and waited the 23 days max time needed for delivery
  • The furniture never arrived, and I discovered I had been charged $320 for three (3) beds.
  • I then contacted Facebook, who directed me to the company from which I had purchased
  • My furniture never came , and I had already been charged for 3 beds. The initial time and the second time totaling over $320.00.
  • I tried contacting Facebook but as I was trying to reach Facebook, I was deterred and told to contact the company first.
  • When I checked my Facebook Marketplace "Order" page, it showed only a previous order, so I filed a complaint with Facebook
  • I was quickly notified that since the listing took me to a 3rd party site, I could not file a refund claim with Facebook (Buyers Protection)
  • The company finally sent an email saying just "be patient". Their email address is no longer valid, and they still advertise on Marketplace.
  • I have contacted the Federal Trade Commission and will be filing a claim thru them as well.
First, I am disappointed to hear that you were scammed and that Facebook has not dealt with this, However, I do support their response about a third-party site. For all internet transactions:
  • Once you leave the main site that site is no longer responsible for your subsequent actions,
  • They also cannot track or log your activities, which accounts for no Facebook listing of the Murphy Bed order
  • It is common for sites to track where you came from (i.e., Facebook) and even to return to back to the originating site
Regarding Buyer Protection , they address your purchase:

"Why does Purchase Protection only cover purchases made with checkout?"​
To provide Purchase Protection for an order, we need to be able to track the transaction. When you use shipping or checkout on Facebook, our team can mediate disputes, since we can review details about the order and certain messages that a buyer and seller have exchanged.​

Unfortunately, I believe that this all means Chris in NC is correct in saying that your only recourse for a refund is a credit card dispute.
Regarding Facebook and the listing for this company I offer the following:

As you proceed, I strongly recommend that you refrain from accusations like:
  • Facebook is in on this scam
  • Facebook becomes the middle man and defends the scammers
  • A lame excuse of 3rd party site
These will not help your case and will likely work against you.
You can use our contacts to complain about this company.

IMPORTANT: when you reach out to the corporate level . . .
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite and professional
Do not attach files - explain that you can send them separately if necessary
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level in our company contacts for Facebook (that is a link)
Present a brief summary (list) and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Oct 5, 2019
2) How do you get your money back? You used a credit card. Since you have attempted to work with the vendor and the issue is not resolved, you file a dispute with your credit card company.
3) Of course advertisers aren't screened on FB. If FB identifies an advertiser as a scam, they will take them down, but scammers will simply re-post under slightly different name. At the end of the day, he buyer has to do some due diligence.
Hi thank you for responding back. Yes, the scammers are steadily changing just the first part of their website.The end of it reads "myshopify" and so I checked to see what "myshopify" is about and basically they sell these websites to people. You pick and choose what myshopify has to offer, buy the website selling shoes or blankets, whatever you see and use that website and go to companies like F.B and advertise thru them.
I did contact my credit card company Amex, however it is a pre-paid debit card and they are investigating, but I do not think they cover scams. Who knows, I will check and see soon. Amex did cancel my card. Im waiting for a new one to come in the mail.
As for F.B , I havent been on that site since. Bittersweet to know they do not really put much effort into these fly by night companies who can buy and begin their fraudulent scams and prey on innocent users on F.B who are just trying to buy something at a fair price from other F.B users.
What makes me so suspicious about the entire sale is this : on F.B. Marketplace, there is a section under a Marketplace users profile called "Orders" or "Order", this is how you can check your orders on things you have paid for using your credita card. Now, this is also the way you can contact Facebook and file a complaint for F.B to help in a situation like this. It is also the way to start a paper trail in communicating with the company as well as F.B. Facebook will then acknowlege and go after rhe company and try to resolve the issue. I know this to be true because I had an issue and Facebook was on igt and helped me resolve the issue.
Now, that being said, why is it that when I checked back for this situation on the scam, that it does not appear on the "Order" part at all? No sale anywhere on f.b is even noted !! Therefor no communication of filing a complaint with facebook is allowed because there is no visual evidence that I bought something on Marketplace. So F.B cannot be contacted and the company has proof that I didnt buy anything dromm them so Im left hanging in the air with no recourse at all. The only thing I have as proof is the charge made on my credit card but that dows not even aay anything either. Just a bunch of random letters which does not mean anything. One does not even know what was purchased or feom whom. Nothing.
I dont know, I hate to think of F.B having any involvement or turning a blind eye on this, however either the scammers basically hacked f.b system making it impossible to make any communication with F.B happen or Facebook somehow doesnt know or care about the very crucial part is being altered and so they dont know what is going on because nobody can contact them to let them know about the scams, or F.B is in on this scam and doesnt want a papertrail so ommittance is somehow done to only the fradulant cases so that a customer cannot complain to f.b and starting the claim process. What a coincidence that on the legit purchases I see everything on my "Order" section and not the fraudelent purchases. This is only a speculation on my part but Im putting it out there like I see it. Took me 1 day to figure it out but maybe the team on Facebook havent figured it out yet. Hmmm go figure

Oct 5, 2019
I will do as you suggested, I appreciate the correct way in which to proceed with this situation. I will go thru the chain of command like it is listed. I am glad to see that you guys post the contacts for companies . I could not get a contact for f.b and was growing weary. I will keep in touch . Thanks again everyone