Extenuating medical circumstances

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 30, 2019
My husband and I, each 88 yrs old, booked a business class trip, Boston, Ma. to Cork, Ireland on March 3, 2018 with "GO FLY First" (GFF) travel agency, departing 09/05/2018, returning 09/19/2018, on Virgin AtlanticAirways at a cost of $5400. Unfortunately, I had a serious fall fracturing discs T10 and 12 of the vertebral body
along w multilevel lumbar spondylosis. This condition required me to wear a TLSO brace, a rigid upper body plate for 4-6 mos, followed by intensive physical therapy,which is 0ngoing.
With mobility severely impaired, I contacted GFF to extend our trip to Sep 2019. Complying with GFF's request for evidence, I forwarded photos, exray results and
notes from my neurosurgeon. also, a letter from my primary physician, detailing the complexity of the case , referencing age and supportive of my request for extension.

GFF referred me to Fareboom who deals directly w Virgin Atlantic, who graciously granted a waiver of the exchange and no-show penalty fees. Virgin Atlantic will grant an extension of travel dates but at a significant increase in fare of $634-$1128 person, depending on dates selected. Ideally, I would like new vouchers issued at the original price of $ 5400. If not feasible, can we control the increase to $300. pp. Travel plan must be completed prior to March 3, 2019.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I am sorry to hear about your health issue but glad you are on the mend. The fact that all parties are willing to work with you, I would take their offer and run! Unless your airline tickets were refundable, you are being offered a very generous option. Not to pour salt on a wound, but you really should be purchasing travel insurance for those unexpected things that get in the way of travel. The right policy would have refunded you the cost of the tickets for the nominal premium.

One thought is: have you checked with your credit card used to purchase the tickets to see if you have trip insurance as part of the benefits of the card?

Jul 13, 2016
As mentioned, Virgin is doing you a favor by waiving the penalties. However, you will now be flying a year later, and they have the right to require payment for the new flights, based on the cost at the time of re-booking. It's like promising to buy a 2018 new car for 25,000 and then postponing it until the 2019 models arrive and now requesting a 2019 model (which comes with a higher price tag) for the price you agreed to pay for a 2018 model.

Sep 19, 2015
Where did you buy your tickets?

Go Fly First sounds like a mileage broker that has a mail drop in CA. Look at their terms and conditions:

“If your award ticket or mileage redemption ticket is not honored for any reason, please contact us immediately. In most cases, we can confirm your flight is authorized with the airline, and you will be on your way. In other cases, we will replace your ticket with an acceptable alternative of equal value or more within 24 hours. Your ticket is guaranteed up to the amount paid for the ticket, and GoFlyFirst.com will replace your ticket within 24 hours or offer a full refund, or provide other alternative options within 24 hours.”

What were you told about Fareboom? fareboom does not have any special relationship with Virgin, they are an online booking engine.

I am sorry but I have concerns about this entire situation.

Jan 30, 2019
Still working the problem, Fareboom presented an acceptable itinerary(although it included a 7hr layover in Heathrow)
at an acceptable increase. However, an hour later, the increase jumped another $250. ea.to $854. pp. Difficult to know whether
this is Fareboom's doing or Virgin Atlantic??

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have had the price change while I am booking tickets - it is the airline and based on demand. There are only a certain number of tickets available at the price you are viewing - if someone books that seat while you are looking, yes the price can go up and it is the airline, not the portal you are booking through. You should book directly with the airline t0 avoid having to go through a third party. And buy travel insurance from now on.

The prices will usually continue to go up as seats sell so I would rebook quickly if it were me.

Sep 19, 2015
Still working the problem, Fareboom presented an acceptable itinerary(although it included a 7hr layover in Heathrow)
at an acceptable increase. However, an hour later, the increase jumped another $250. ea.to $854. pp. Difficult to know whether
this is Fareboom's doing or Virgin Atlantic??
How were these tickets originally booked?