Extending a travel credit past its expiration date?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 7, 2017
When bad weather was predicted for Atlanta on a day I had a layover there in late January, Delta issued waivers for those wanting to change their flights. The day before the trip, I was able to find a not-crazy expensive flight on another airline and got a $700+ credit to use on Delta. I had bought the tickets almost six months earlier which means the credit has to be used/travel completed by 7/11/2019. I thought I would have no problem using the credit, but now realize I am kind of running out of time because I may have to schedule a surgery, change positions at work, plus my daughter is expecting her first baby in mid-July.

Does Delta ever extend the deadline to use the credit? Thanks for anything you can tell me!

Jan 6, 2015
You can make your request using the Company Contacts link at the top of this page. We have seen incidents where airlines are willing to extend vouchers. I suggest that you emphasize:
  • Probable surgery. Leave out the details, except to point out (succinctly) the necessity and its impact on your ability to travel. A doctor's note may be helpful.
  • How the change in work positions will prohibit travel by July.
I would leave out the statement about the baby unless your presence is required (again you may need a note to that effect). A one year extension would be great in my opinion . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can make your request using the Company Contacts link at the top of this page. We have seen incidents where airlines are willing to extend vouchers. I suggest that you emphasize:
  • Probable surgery. Leave out the details, except to point out (succinctly) the necessity and its impact on your ability to travel. A doctor's note may be helpful.
  • How the change in work positions will prohibit travel by July.
I would leave out the statement about the baby unless your presence is required (again you may need a note to that effect). A one year extension would be great in my opinion . . .
I agree with VoR. They might extend, they might now but the time to ask is now so if they say no you can do what you can to try to use it before it expires. That's a lot of voucher to lose.

Aug 7, 2017
Thank you for your advice. The combination of circumstances is what is making it hard to find the time to take the trip, but I acknowledge all the info may make it sound like I am making things up to play on any sympathy they might have, even though it's all true! I will report back on what I hear from them.

Sep 27, 2017
When you write, follow the rules listed elsewhere on this site. Pretty much they state to keep things in writing (no phone calls) with the company. Find the list of executive contacts, write them one at a time, starting with the lowest person on the totem pole. If you don't get an answer (or satisfactory answer) in a week or two, try the next person up. You seem to already have the right idea, that you should always be brief and polite! Good luck.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Delta's customer service is quite well respected (in the airline biz that's not such an accomplishment, but still ... ) and I'm sure they want to do better every month. Be positive, polite, patient and persistent. It's great that you're being pro-active and not waiting until the last day. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Aug 7, 2017
Hi all--it took me a bit longer than I anticipated to send my email to Delta, but I finally sent it yesterday late afternoon. By this morning I had a reply that my credit has been extended to January 2020! Yay! I have asked her to clarify the exact date, in case it comes close, but I am pleased with this outcome. And yes, I followed the guidelines recommended here in composing the email. Thanks to everyone for their advice and to Chris for providing this forum. Have a great day!

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Great job! You should be able to look at the voucher in your wallet online and it will say when it needs to be used by - which means that the travel has to be completed by then, not just that it has to be booked by then.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
She answered me that it is good through the end of January, and of course, I will keep the email handy!
Carol, that's not quite enough ... as Barry says, you need to verify the status on their website. The last thing you need is a big fight about "she said, he said, I said. Verify on the website and keep a screen shot.

Aug 30, 2015
I'm glad it came through. I had a similar experience with WestJet when I had broken my arm, they extended it by a year. I used the credit and of course they did reap more business at the same time. It pays to be polite, I'm glad this worked out.