Extended Stay America

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 17, 2019
I checked into the extended stay hotel at 1500 Aero Drive, Lithincum, Maryland on saturday evening 3/16/2019. A staff failed to do the proper checking-in procedures after taking my ID and credit card. I signed the forms took the room keys and went to room 315. about 10 to 15minutes later, Maria calls me from the desk stating that i need to come down and make a payment. i told her i already gave a credit card, state ID, and signed two forms to agree to payment. she said the staff was new and did not do it correctly, and only took payment for incidentals. i told her i am tired and sleeping, i ll come out for food when i wake up and on my way down will resubmit the card. She became rude and refused that it was not possible, i should come down immediately and make a payment. I told her it was not my fault the staff could not do her job right, i am sleeping she can either come up for my credit card if it is that urgent or when i am on my way down i can make a payment. she said if i dont come down immediately she will call the police on me and hung up the phone on me. I went back to sleep. and before i know it Maria, Samuel and another housekeeper gained unauthorized access into the room, bashed into my room while i laid in bed half naked, and started banging on the walls and countertops so hard that i woke up. i woke up and asked what the matter was,. she said come down now i have called the police. Maria treated me like a thief and had no right to come into my room while i was sleeping, i am going to seek legal advise and take legal action on this action. Having three people barge into my room after i submitted id and credit card and they did not take the payment as supposed to.
Samuel was initially rude, but once i explained my side of the story, he became apologetic and said he didnt have the full story or know i had submitted id and card earlier. How else would i have room keys and access if I didnt submit ID and credit card? He said i should give him my credit card and go back to sleep he he will tend to it and resolve the problem. i decided to follow him downstairs and he tried to resolve the matter peacefully. in the meantime, Maria had called the police on me. i told her the new staff making an error is acceptable but barging into my room and calling the police on me like a common thief is not acceptable. She made racist remarks to me , telling me i am not in africa and i should not be acting like i am in africa, i should go and act like that in Africa. Being a Black person i find this comment very offensive and demeaning worse coming from a manager. Samuel tried to deal with the police but Maria refused to accept my card, pulling a power struggle and telling me i should leave the hotel , she no longer needs my payment. she asked the police to take me to my room to get my things and walk me off the property but Samuel told them that would not be necessary and trusts me to leave with no further incident. I am shocked that while Samuel and the other housekeeper tried to apologize to me for the misunderstanding and error of the staff who checked me in and keep the peace,Maria, the manager continued to make racist comments about me coming from Africa. In my professional world, Managers de-escalate and not escalate crisis. in all this , it was the housekeeper and staff Samuel , trying to de-escalate the problem.
I am putting a serious grievance complaint against Maria for her racist comments towards me going back to Africa, barging into my room, and calling the police on me as if i am a common thief. As Manager, she had to apologize on behalf of her staff not taking the payment and asking me nicely to come down and resolve the matter. i was happy to resubmit the card on my way to get food. i told her i was tired, been travelling and sleeping. Her solution - violate my privacy with another male staff as i lay in bed half naked without any respect. This cannot be tolerated in any society. And worse still telling me i should not think i am in Africa. The housekeeper as one of the trio who came into my room too as i slept telling me i am from Nigeria, let us resolve the problem. i told her i am not from nigeria and she immediately apologized for making assumptions about my ethnic background. This is the most unprofessional experience of my entire life, and before i get a chance to even know what is going on, Maria pulls a power play and calls the police. Even her own staff rebuked her for calling the police and Samuel tried to deal with it calmly. I am also considering taking my story to the press because obviously Black people are not welcomed to the ESA, treated like thief , and policed. if a Caucasian staff acted this way to a Black person it will be considered racism and make news within 5 minutes.

I will like to know if I can seek legal action in this matter.

Dec 19, 2014
What happened to you is completely unacceptable.

Did you continue to stay at the hotel?
How was the rest of your stay?
Did you receive any compensation in the form of a rate reduction or a comp stay?

Beyond the above, what else do you want as a resolution? If you are asking whether you can seek legal action, this question cannot be answered in this forum. You will need to consult an attorney.

As for mentioning racism, I would leave that out. Simply state the facts. You were treated in a poor and unprofessional manner. You may also write the executives or management of ESA to share your experience. Be aware, that any mention of legal action or consulting an attorney will likely result in your letters being ignored.

Mar 17, 2019
What happened to you is completely unacceptable.

Did you continue to stay at the hotel?
How was the rest of your stay?
Did you receive any compensation in the form of a rate reduction or a comp stay?

Beyond the above, what else do you want as a resolution? If you are asking whether you can seek legal action, this question cannot be answered in this forum. You will need to consult an attorney.

As for mentioning racism, I would leave that out. Simply state the facts. You were treated in a poor and unprofessional manner. You may also write the executives or management of ESA to share your experience. Be aware, that any mention of legal action or consulting an attorney will likely result in your letters being ignored.
Thank you for your response. I was asked to leave by the police. The police said it was a civil matter and though the understand it was not my fault, since the manager has asked that i leave i will need to leave. I went to another hotel. I have filed a complaint with corporate and awaiting a response.

Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry this escalated so badly. No one should make racist comments.

No one here can make legal advice or recommendations. You need a lawyer who can practice in the jurisdiction.

If you mention lawsuit any complaints will go to the legal department who will say and do nothing as they wait for a lawsuit— that is standard procedure.

Jan 6, 2015
Your experience is, for me, unimaginable. While it is both tempting and understandable to seek legal remedy and/or media scrutiny, I encourage you to withhold those approaches until you give ESA an opportunity to address this. I am confident that once informed of the treatment you received, they would take swift punitive action. If they do not, you can always proceed along other avenues.

You can reach out to ESA using the Company Contacts link at the top of this page. If when you do, I strongly suggest that you present your case firmly while exercising restraint. That will be a challenge given the events you described here, but it can be done. Executives do respond better to politely worded emails, even when something this egregious has occurred.

You could also post your proposed email here if you would like us to review and comment . . .

This will help you formulate your appeal: How to Present Your Case.
In my own approach to writing, I remember to include two things: that I am mindful of their policies and time constraints and grateful for any good service I received and also their time and consideration.

Mar 17, 2019
In this case should I contact an attorney since they will likely ignore my complaint? In my complaint, i mentioned that i will be seeking legal advice on the matter as i was not sure if they just being unprofessional or acted illegally barging into my room.
I will just wait to see what they say tomorrow. I was very embarrassed and upset about the incident, and ready to take it to any level possible so other guests dont have to go through same experience. thank you very much for your advice. i will bring any update here as soon as i receive one. thank you

Mar 17, 2019
Your experience is, for me, unimaginable. While it is both tempting and understandable to seek legal remedy and/or media scrutiny, I encourage you to withhold those approaches until you give ESA an opportunity to address this. I am confident that once informed of the treatment you received, they would take swift punitive action. If they do not, you can always proceed along other avenues.

You can reach out to ESA using the Company Contacts link at the top of this page. If when you do, I strongly suggest that you present your case firmly while exercising restraint. That will be a challenge given the events you described here, but it can be done. Executives do respond better to politely worded emails, even when something this egregious has occurred.

You could also post your proposed email here if you would like us to review and comment . . .

This will help you formulate your appeal: How to Present Your Case.
In my own approach to writing, I remember to include two things: that I am mindful of their policies and time constraints and grateful for any good service I received and also their time and consideration.

This will really help! where can i find the contacts for ESA?

Jan 6, 2015
Click on the Company Contacts link a the top of the page. Then choose Hotels, and then Extended Stay.

If you would like to share your email with us first, we'd be happy to review and comment . .

Sep 19, 2015
In this case should I contact an attorney since they will likely ignore my complaint? In my complaint, i mentioned that i will be seeking legal advice on the matter as i was not sure if they just being unprofessional or acted illegally barging into my room.
I will just wait to see what they say tomorrow. I was very embarrassed and upset about the incident, and ready to take it to any level possible so other guests dont have to go through same experience. thank you very much for your advice. i will bring any update here as soon as i receive one. thank you
I would give the executives a chance to review the complaint before contacting or mentioning an attorney.

Complaint will be ignored if you write that you are seeking legal advice/action — so do not mention lawyer legal action etc.

As this just happened you have time to contact the execs and wait for a response — an attorney can be contacted a month or two from now if no resolution.

Jan 6, 2015
I agree with Christina. Unless you require an immediate remedy, the passage of time (a few weeks) will not diminish your case . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do NOT threaten a lawyer when you write. Once you do that, they will not communicate with you.

If you believe your Civil Rights were compromised, you can file a complaint here:

https://www.justice.gov/crt/how-file-complaint

I’m sure the Executives at ESA would not like to have to answer to the DOJ so you might want to state in your letter you believe your civil rights were violated by the behavior of Maria but don’t state you are filing a complaint or seeking an
attorney.Her behavior sounds like it was atrocious and no one should be subjected to what you describe. And I hope ESA will perform the appropriate steps to train their employees.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What a revolting experience. I cannot imagine how angry and frustrated you must have been. Reading your narrative, I am struck by a couple of things. It's the "cutting off your nose to spite your face" syndrome. It's not right, but what you went through could have been stopped cold before it became a problem. If you are awake enough to answer the phone and the front desk wants you to straighten out a problem they have caused, just go down and do it. These are not high-functioning people who may or may not be able to problem-solve ... that's why the horrid Maria called the cops. Always have the safety latch on your door when you are in your room. Nobody can burst in without causing damage to the door mechanism. Please advise ESA corporate about this appalling experience; don't threaten, just tell your story. And please do pursue action against Maria, she stepped way out of bounds and should not be allowed to keep a job dealing with guests. Please let us know how this all turns out.

Mar 18, 2019
I am so sorry this happened to you. I disagree and think that the racism angle should be kept in. If the manager was saying those sorts of outrageous things then her actions were most likely caused by racism. I’d wait for a response from corporate before making a human rights complaint however.

Mar 15, 2018
Your story is truly horrific! You are absolutely right - YOU are not responsible for the new employee making an error in your check-in. YOU should not have to get out of bed in the middle of the night to go fix their mistake. Promising to come down in the morning was perfectly reasonable.

Have you already sent in a complaint to ESA? If not, you will need to re-write your story to be easier to follow. An earlier comment provides a link to how to some guidance in how to write your complaint.

If you already sent in your complaint, you will need to wait a few days and, if no response, send your complaint to the next name on the contact list. But please re-write it using the guidance provided before you re-send it.

And PLEASE do come back and tell us what happens! Your story made my blood boil. The NERVE of them, barging into your room! That's a complete violation of privacy. I'd be livid! As a woman, if a man came barging into my room uninvited I'd be calling the police on THEM!

I'd also consider lodging a complaint against the police department that basically forced you to leave, when you'd done nothing wrong. It sounds as if they didn't even bother to try to find out the truth of the situation - that you'd correctly paid for your room, and were now being harassed for no reason.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Your story is truly horrific! You are absolutely right - YOU are not responsible for the new employee making an error in your check-in. YOU should not have to get out of bed in the middle of the night to go fix their mistake. Promising to come down in the morning was perfectly reasonable.

Have you already sent in a complaint to ESA? If not, you will need to re-write your story to be easier to follow. An earlier comment provides a link to how to some guidance in how to write your complaint.

If you already sent in your complaint, you will need to wait a few days and, if no response, send your complaint to the next name on the contact list. But please re-write it using the guidance provided before you re-send it.

And PLEASE do come back and tell us what happens! Your story made my blood boil. The NERVE of them, barging into your room! That's a complete violation of privacy. I'd be livid! As a woman, if a man came barging into my room uninvited I'd be calling the police on THEM!

I'd also consider lodging a complaint against the police department that basically forced you to leave, when you'd done nothing wrong. It sounds as if they didn't even bother to try to find out the truth of the situation - that you'd correctly paid for your room, and were now being harassed for no reason.
My guess is the police can only follow the law; that is, the managing person for the hotel requested a person be removed from the premises. Since hotels are private property, the owner/manager can expect the police to remove someone who is considered trespassing. Unfortunately, it is not in the police's job description to mediate disagreements.

Sep 12, 2018
My guess is the police can only follow the law; that is, the managing person for the hotel requested a person be removed from the premises. Since hotels are private property, the owner/manager can expect the police to remove someone who is considered trespassing. Unfortunately, it is not in the police's job description to mediate disagreements.
While that’s true, Federal law also prevents discrimination based on race, among other things, when offering public lodging. For the police to enforce one law and not the other is questionable at best.

Feb 16, 2018
The police were called by the manager of he hotel, and the manager asked for the OP to leave. The police officer only saw to the orderly removal of the OP. The police would only have acted if the OP refused to leave, making it a possible criminal violation. While federal law prevents discrimination, it is not a criminal law that an officer can arrest someone for. If the OP feels there was discrimination, then an attorney can advise her.

Feb 21, 2018
I am not going to doubt anything about the words that were exchanged or the actions that were taken by the hotel manager/staff to enter the OP's room without permission. From the description provided, it sounds like an extremely unpleasant encounter and I hope that whatever letter writing campaign the OP chooses to take, satisfaction is achieved.

That being said, I agree with jsn55 in that this didn't need to escalate in this manner had each party used a little bit more common sense.

You mentioned you were called only 10-15 minutes after arriving at your room, so it's hard to imagine that you were already in bed and asleep that quickly. New employees make mistakes and while it is an inconvenience to have to help correct, it falls under the heading of 'stuff happens'. That's where some common sense on your part may have helped, and you just take the few minutes to put your shoes and clothes back on the get things straight.

If you responded sternly to the manager over the phone in your refusal to come down and correct the credit card issue, the manager could have perceived that you may try to skip out on the bill or cause problems during your stay. If there was any hostility detected in your voice, she may have felt that she needed a police presence due to your refusal to come out of the room. Overreaction? Maybe so...this is where some common sense on her part may have helped and she could have offered to come up and retrieve the information to avoid the inconvenience to you.

I'm sorry that you had such an unpleasant experience. No one should be made to feel the way you did. But recognition that mistakes happen and we each need to do our share to help fix them when we can will avoid these types of situations down the road.

Sep 19, 2015
Nathan Witt I did not read the OPs post as saying the police did anything wrong — it was the staff who made the horrible comments.

I suspect the police were told that the guest had not paid for the night — this hotel seems to require prepayment —- maybe as an airport hotel people leave early for flights.

I am uncertain if the police actually came or if it was an idle threat.