EXPEDIA - who is responsible to refund canceled flight ? EXPEDIA or Airline

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
R

Realitoes

As I stated to you earlier, the refund tracking number is very easy to obtain- a frontline Expedia agent could easily provide it. However, it is actually not relevant. If I understand correctly, your bank already sent it back. This is the part I am trying to understand. it is unclear whether you are trying to get Expedia to issue the refund once again, or you are trying to assist your bank in tracking it, which shouldn't be necessary. You should still report the charge to the fraud department. They will sort it out.
This makes sense everywhere but in the travel industry. As bodega stated, the airline actually charges the card (in all but a few cases). Expedia processes the request for refund through the Airline Reporting Corp (ARC) for the airline to refund it. I don't think Expedia will have any tracking number (except for the ARC transaction number that will only make sense to the airline). What Expedia should be doing (but won't do unless they are backed into a corner) is advocate for their customer with the airline to resolve the issue.

Normally when a refund is sent back to the original method of purchase, if closed, the bank should be applying it to the new account or send a refund check to their customer, not returning it to the merchant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2015
TURKEY
Thanks Rebecca. Have written an email to my bank awaiting response in the meantime will call them on Monday. My bank account is already closed as I have moved out of the country from South Africa to Turkey. That maybe the reason the bank doesn't care as they know I will have no further banking relation with them.
The bank absolutely has access to this information. The person you were speaking to didn't and made an assumption because they didn't want to find a solution for you. I worked in banking for many years, and a trend was to take away access to more and more information except higher level supervisors. The bank only wants reps to follow a specific script, and if there isn't a script for your issue, they won't have access to the information concerning the issue. Unfortunately, this often results in reps (who are under a lot of pressure to have shorter and shorter phone calls) making stupid statements like the one they made to you. Banking information doesn't just disappear because your account number changed.

I honestly think here your best course of action is to just get to the right person. One trick is to get to the "retention" department, because they will often go out of their way. Their job in retention is to talk people out of closing their accounts. They're the reason you have to be transferred if you call in and ask to close an account. The customer service rep will say they can't, and transfer you to them.

In this case, I would call the bank and let them know you're very disappointed in how they are handling this and you are going to close your account. You certainly don't need to actually follow through, but the rep won't know it's an idle threat. The person they transfer you to is in the retention department. Their bonus, salary and raises are all based on how many people they are able to talk into keeping an account open. I doubt they can personally fix the issue, but they will almost always try to find out how. They don't have nearly as much pressure to get you off the phone, and will almost always take the time and assist you.

In short, call the number on the card and say you want to close your account because you're so irritated they won't fix this problem. This will get you transferred to retention. Specifically say that customer service won't transfer you to the fraud department to find the old account information and transfer the refund. There's about a 75% chance this will be fixed right then. And, of course, you don't ever have to actually close the account. Just that the threat gets you to the right person, and you can't request to speak to them, they have to offer.

If this does not work, I will have to look up some information and can help with an email you can send. Please let me know what they say on the phone call and we can go from there. If anything, they may provide information that is useful in obtaining the credit that you can use in further correspondence.

Oct 25, 2015
TURKEY
It doesn't matter where the account is located. Just open it so the funds can be place into that account, then removed the fund and close the account for good.
It probably won't make a difference if you reopen the account if the refund was returned. Exoedia would still need to re-send it. Has your bank confirmed that they received a refund from Expedia, that they rerouted?
Dear AAGK The bank mentioned that to track the refund they need the transfer details. As the account is closed they don't have access to transactions. They have not confirmed that they have received funds and rerouted

Oct 25, 2015
TURKEY
If the carrier charged the ticket, the carrier will refund NOT Expedia. Expedia would only refund if the ticket was a bulk fare and run through their inhouse credit card account.
Thanks Bodega. I had written to the carrier Air France. They mentioned that as I have purchased the ticket through Expedia I need to follow up with them. They also mentioned that Expedia needs to provide them with the bank change information for them to proceed. I have the reply of Air France in email format. When I had forwarded the email to Expedia I had received an email from Expedia saying that Air France confirms that they have received the refund and they wanted me to call Expedia to follow up with Air France. Calling Expedia one always gets a new person on the line to whom the story has to be mentioned again and you start over again. The last call I had with Expedia was they have done their part. The refund was made on 2nd Sept and no one can help me. This was the response from Tier II supervisor named Angel

Oct 25, 2015
TURKEY
As everyone has said, Expedia is the one you need to work with.
But Neil Expedia has put the phone down on me. The final reply of Tier II Supervisor named Angel on this Saturday was that Expedia has done their part. Refund was processed on 2nd Sept. And no one in Expedia can help me. I asked for proof of refund and answer was they are not responsible to provide one.

Oct 25, 2015
TURKEY
As I stated to you earlier, the refund tracking number is very easy to obtain- a frontline Expedia agent could easily provide it. However, it is actually not relevant. If I understand correctly, your bank already sent it back. This is the part I am trying to understand. it is unclear whether you are trying to get Expedia to issue the refund once again, or you are trying to assist your bank in tracking it, which shouldn't be necessary. You should still report the charge to the fraud department. They will sort it out.
At this stage I want the proof of refund with swift documents that I can forward to my bank in South Africa. After that would be another step not sure which direction

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
But Neil Expedia has put the phone down on me. The final reply of Tier II Supervisor named Angel on this Saturday was that Expedia has done their part. Refund was processed on 2nd Sept. And no one in Expedia can help me. I asked for proof of refund and answer was they are not responsible to provide one.
Use our company contacts list. Start everything now in writing so you have a paper trail.

Start with our customer service email address. Write them, give them a week to respond, then write to the first executive listed.Give him a week to respond- if they can't find the money, write to next executive, give a week- repeat.

Email will get you a better result and the names of who you are dealing with to hold to the fire.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
@bodega3 is right. Whoever appears on the statement is who needs to issue the refund. Just dispute the charge and let the bank and merchant deal with it. If it was a refundable ticket then the charge is not valid and your former bank will accept your dispute. I have had this exact scenario and it was resolved in a phone call. If the merchant issued the refund then they can provide you with the tracking info. If they can't, then it is bc they never issued it. It is a simple request and only involves reading you some numbers on the phone.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2015
TURKEY
Use our company contacts list. Start everything now in writing so you have a paper trail.

Start with our customer service email address. Write them, give them a week to respond, then write to the first executive listed.Give him a week to respond- if they can't find the money, write to next executive, give a week- repeat.

Email will get you a better result and the names of who you are dealing with to hold to the fire.
Thanks Neil for your recommendation. Please find enclosed some proofs of information received ( I have blackened out some sensitive information as this is a public form as advised by Grantt)
1. Email from Air France mentioning :
QUOTE :
The travel agent (Expedia), is responsible for any concern that you may have in regards to your refund. They are responsible for informing our refund department of your bank change and be able to tell you what the next process will be.
2. Email from Expedia mentioning :
QUOTE :
Our records show that Air France gave the refund back to us. Because of this we need to confirm that with our credit card authorization team. In addition, you have to verify if moving of transaction to your new credit card is possible.
3. Proof of refund from Expedia – which is more of system information of booking status instead of money transfer details
In one way Expedia is confirming that they have received the refund back from Air France however when I call them to follow it up they change their tone

Attachments

Oct 5, 2015
Wait a second.
You bought an Air France ticket for Canada to India using a South African debit card. And you want it refunded to a different credit card. And now you say you are in Turkey!
That's not going to happen. All contracts of carriage and written refund policies state the airlines will refund to the original Form of Payment. You are supposed to live by these terms.
I've got to tell you that your kind of purchase will trigger alarm bells in the fraud department. Do not expect Expedia to go beyond processing the ARC refund on this one.

Oct 5, 2015
Requesting Expedia to transfer the refund to my another credit card with which I had booked another Itinerary No. *** having the same flight details as the one cancelled but costing approx. 2900 USD instead of the 3500 USD I paid for the first itinerary - they say it is not possible. They ask me to contact directly Air France and my Bank to follow up.
Was it possible to exchange the old ticket with a new cheaper ticket, and get refunded the difference only? At least a much smaller amount would get tied up.

Oct 5, 2015
IF SAME BOOKING CLASS IS USED NEW FARE MAY BE
LOWER
OR EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS

Wow, it looks like you could have simply changed the old ticket and ask Expedia to refund the difference after paying the change fee.

Why didn't Expedia advise you to do that?

Oct 5, 2015
IF SAME BOOKING CLASS IS USED NEW FARE MAY BE
LOWER
OR EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS

Wow, it looks like you could have simply changed the old ticket and ask Expedia to refund the difference after paying the change fee.

Why didn't Expedia advise you to do that?