EXPEDIA - who is responsible to refund canceled flight ? EXPEDIA or Airline

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 25, 2015
TURKEY
I cancelled Itinerary No. *** with Expedia on 2nd Sept 2015 and have not yet received the refund.
As the bank account associated with my debit card which was used to purchase the ticket was closed as per my bank they had transferred the refund back to where it came from.
Requesting Expedia to transfer the refund to my another credit card with which I had booked another Itinerary No. *** having the same flight details as the one cancelled but costing approx. 2900 USD instead of the 3500 USD I paid for the first itinerary - they say it is not possible. They ask me to contact directly Air France and my Bank to follow up.
Air France says that as I have booked the Itinerary through Expedia I need to follow up with them . My former bank Standard Bank says as the bank account is closed if the refund was received after the closure then they want proof of transfer to follow up with SWIFT documents. Expedia says it is not their responsibility to provide me with the proof of transfer nor to provide refund.
Please advice me of the following :
1. Whom should I contact for following up the refund - Expedia, Air France or my old bank Standard Bank
2. Which of them Expedia or Air France should I follow up for obtaining the proof of my refund - the SWIFT documents
3. If the answer to both questions above is Expedia - how can I get it as I have used up all channels of communication email and phone call to their customer service helpline and their last feedback is that they are neither responsible for providing me proof of refund nor to follow up refund with Air France
Thanks for advising and helping.
With Best Regards, Kapil

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2013
Atlanta
When a purchase is made with a credit card, there are regulations in place for anti-money laundering that state the refund must go to the original card you paid with. The problem arises when the account is closed for whatever reason. Unfortunately, the merchant can't just cancel the credit and send it to a different account.

Assuming you paid with Visa/Mastercard, the bank shouldn't be giving you a hard time about this. A refund processed after closing an account and reissuing with a new number doesn't automatically transfer to your new account. It must be manually moved over. It's a relatively common occurrence and the bank rep you spoke to is making it way too difficult and probably giving you incorrect information.

To resolve this and receive the refund in your new replacement account, it's almost certainly a matter of simply speaking to the correct person. Many times, front line reps and bankers in the branch can't see the old account, and unfortunately sometimes give incorrect and erroneous information. I saw this personally quite often. Call the number on the back of your debit card and ask to speak to the fraud department. Don't let the rep that answers the phone try to help you first. Just politely state you need to speak to the fraud department. Explain you received a refund to your old card number and would like it moved to the new account once you get the fraud department on the line. It should then show up within a day or two.

I'm sorry this is no unnecessarily complicated for you. It should be simple. This is assuming you paid with Visa/Mastercard, so if you did not, please let me know and I'll be able to help from there. I worked in credit card processing as a supervisor and handled cases like this and I'm sure I can get you the info you need to resolve it.

Oct 25, 2015
TURKEY
Thanks a lot Rebecca for your prompt reply - highly appreciated. Your reply makes very logical sense. Actually this is exactly what the bank replied in the first instance. The bank also asked me to provide the SWIFT documentation through which the refund was made in the first instance - hence I have been engaged in following up with Expedia till date to obtain the proof. Unfortunately to my surprise Expedia refused to provide me with the proof in terms of SWIFT documentation for the refund - saying that they have done their part and they are in no obligation to provide the proof. My bank wants the proof to follow it up with their international transfers division. If you have further insight on how to handle this it would be highly appreciated. Thanks once again.

When a purchase is made with a credit card, there are regulations in place for anti-money laundering that state the refund must go to the original card you paid with. The problem arises when the account is closed for whatever reason. Unfortunately, the merchant can't just cancel the credit and send it to a different account.

Assuming you paid with Visa/Mastercard, the bank shouldn't be giving you a hard time about this. A refund processed after closing an account and reissuing with a new number doesn't automatically transfer to your new account. It must be manually moved over. It's a relatively common occurrence and the bank rep you spoke to is making it way too difficult and probably giving you incorrect information.

To resolve this and receive the refund in your new replacement account, it's almost certainly a matter of simply speaking to the correct person. Many times, front line reps and bankers in the branch can't see the old account, and unfortunately sometimes give incorrect and erroneous information. I saw this personally quite often. Call the number on the back of your debit card and ask to speak to the fraud department. Don't let the rep that answers the phone try to help you first. Just politely state you need to speak to the fraud department. Explain you received a refund to your old card number and would like it moved to the new account once you get the fraud department on the line. It should then show up within a day or two.

I'm sorry this is no unnecessarily complicated for you. It should be simple. This is assuming you paid with Visa/Mastercard, so if you did not, please let me know and I'll be able to help from there. I worked in credit card processing as a supervisor and handled cases like this and I'm sure I can get you the info you need to resolve it.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Thanks a lot Rebecca for your prompt reply - highly appreciated. Your reply makes very logical sense. Actually this is exactly what the bank replied in the first instance. The bank also asked me to provide the SWIFT documentation through which the refund was made in the first instance - hence I have been engaged in following up with Expedia till date to obtain the proof. Unfortunately to my surprise Expedia refused to provide me with the proof in terms of SWIFT documentation for the refund - saying that they have done their part and they are in no obligation to provide the proof. My bank wants the proof to follow it up with their international transfers division. If you have further insight on how to handle this it would be highly appreciated. Thanks once again.
Expedia is crazy! There is no reason they cannot provide you immediately with a refund tracking number. If they issued the refund anyway, they should want you to receive it. Whoever you talked to there is an idiot. What merchant appears on your statement? You used a debit card- did it have a visa/MasterCard logo? Nonetheless, this is a substantial sum. Do you still have a banking relationship with Standard Bank? Whether you do is not necessarily relevant but will affect their helpfulness. Why was the account closed? Could you simply reopen it? If not then follow @Rebecca 's advice and call the number on the back of your card and ask to be transferred to the fraud department. If a refund was issued and the company seems to be renegging, then it is a fraud claim. File a claim for the amount promised and let your bank track it down. I assume Expedia will answer their questions. Do not let the bank talk you out of this. If you feel the conversation is going in that direction, then that means you aren't explaining it properly so steer it back to the fraud and make the agent file the dispute. Once she does, they will have to contact the merchant.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Also, did your bank confirm that it received the refund and sent it back bc of your account closure? If this occurred then the bank doesn't need any documents bc they already know the refund was processed on the merchant end. Your bank could have sent you a check if they wanted to so I understand they are not being helpful- which they should be. Also, if you used a straight debit card, Expedia could also send you a check, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it. I have received a refund to a different credit card one time but that is extremely rare so I wouldn't consider that an option.

Oct 25, 2015
TURKEY
Thanks AAGK for your advice and response. I had to close the account as I moved from South Africa to Turkey. The bank is in South Africa. After keeping me going from pillar to post making me wait for EXPEDIA's mandatory 6-8 weeks waiting period for refund to be reflected in my bank now EXPEDIA is taking the stance that they are not responsible for providing me proof of refund and continuing to say that they have done their part and refunded the amount on 2nd Sept. It is upto me to follow with my bank and airline Air France. Yes my debit card had a Visa logo. Can you advice me how can I extract the information about proof of transfer in form of Swift document from either EXPEDIA or Air FRANCE. At this stage am not even sure who between both of them would have refunded to my bank card in the first instance. Thanks once again
Expedia is crazy! There is no reason they cannot provide you immediately with a refund tracking number. If they issued the refund anyway, they should want you to receive it. Whoever you talked to there is an idiot. What merchant appears on your statement? You used a debit card- did it have a visa/MasterCard logo? Nonetheless, this is a substantial sum. Do you still have a banking relationship with Standard Bank? Whether you do is not necessarily relevant but will affect their helpfulness. Why was the account closed? Could you simply reopen it? If not then follow @Rebecca 's advice and call the number on the back of your card and ask to be transferred to the fraud department. If a refund was issued and the company seems to be renegging, then it is a fraud claim. File a claim for the amount promised and let your bank track it down. I assume Expedia will answer their questions. Do not let the bank talk you out of this. If you feel the conversation is going in that direction, then that means you aren't explaining it properly so steer it back to the fraud and make the agent file the dispute. Once she does, they will have to contact the merchant.

Oct 25, 2015
TURKEY
Dear AAGK my bank just mentioned that as the account is closed they do not have access to the transactions on my card or account - which is quite difficult for me to digest. On my insistence they asked me to provide the refund transfer details or swift documents for the refund which I am struggling to get from EXPEDIA
Also, did your bank confirm that it received the refund and sent it back bc of your account closure? If this occurred then the bank doesn't need any documents bc they already know the refund was processed on the merchant end. Your bank could have sent you a check if they wanted to so I understand they are not being helpful- which they should be. Also, if you used a straight debit card, Expedia could also send you a check, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it. I have received a refund to a different credit card one time but that is extremely rare so I wouldn't consider that an option.
dear

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Let me ask a question- what type of booking did you cancel? There are usually penalties associated with canceling a trip
If it was air and you purchased a non refundable fare, there is no refund- you may have a credit with the airline less cancellation fees.
But your answer is a refund comes from the person that charged your card which would be Expedia, if a refund is due.

Oct 25, 2015
TURKEY
Dear Neil to answer your specific question yes it was a refundable flight. Expedia deducted the airline charges for cancellation and confirmed refund of approx 3200 USD was made on date of cancellation which was 2nd Sept. However they are not providing me proof of transfer. Can you advice me how I can get the proof of transfer to follow up with my bank.

Let me ask a question- what type of booking did you cancel? There are usually penalties associated with canceling a trip
If it was air and you purchased a non refundable fare, there is no refund- you may have a credit with the airline less cancellation fees.
But your answer is a refund comes from the person that charged your card which would be Expedia, if a refund is due.

B

bodega3

Regarding your purchase with Expedia. The amount of the airline ticket was charged by which :Expedia or Air France? You see this on your credit card statement. If it is the former, then they had a special fare that they charged your credit on their credit card account and they would be the one to refund. If the charge was made by Air France, then Air France is going to be the one to refund to your account. You have to reopen the closed account originally used to receive the money. All airline tickets are reported to ARC (Airline Reporting Corporation) regardless of form of payment. When the ticket is refunded by the carrier, this will show up in a weekly report to Expedia, but not until then.

Aug 10, 2013
Atlanta
Dear AAGK my bank just mentioned that as the account is closed they do not have access to the transactions on my card or account - which is quite difficult for me to digest. On my insistence they asked me to provide the refund transfer details or swift documents for the refund which I am struggling to get from EXPEDIA

dear
The bank absolutely has access to this information. The person you were speaking to didn't and made an assumption because they didn't want to find a solution for you. I worked in banking for many years, and a trend was to take away access to more and more information except higher level supervisors. The bank only wants reps to follow a specific script, and if there isn't a script for your issue, they won't have access to the information concerning the issue. Unfortunately, this often results in reps (who are under a lot of pressure to have shorter and shorter phone calls) making stupid statements like the one they made to you. Banking information doesn't just disappear because your account number changed.

I honestly think here your best course of action is to just get to the right person. One trick is to get to the "retention" department, because they will often go out of their way. Their job in retention is to talk people out of closing their accounts. They're the reason you have to be transferred if you call in and ask to close an account. The customer service rep will say they can't, and transfer you to them.

In this case, I would call the bank and let them know you're very disappointed in how they are handling this and you are going to close your account. You certainly don't need to actually follow through, but the rep won't know it's an idle threat. The person they transfer you to is in the retention department. Their bonus, salary and raises are all based on how many people they are able to talk into keeping an account open. I doubt they can personally fix the issue, but they will almost always try to find out how. They don't have nearly as much pressure to get you off the phone, and will almost always take the time and assist you.

In short, call the number on the card and say you want to close your account because you're so irritated they won't fix this problem. This will get you transferred to retention. Specifically say that customer service won't transfer you to the fraud department to find the old account information and transfer the refund. There's about a 75% chance this will be fixed right then. And, of course, you don't ever have to actually close the account. Just that the threat gets you to the right person, and you can't request to speak to them, they have to offer.

If this does not work, I will have to look up some information and can help with an email you can send. Please let me know what they say on the phone call and we can go from there. If anything, they may provide information that is useful in obtaining the credit that you can use in further correspondence.

B

bodega3

It doesn't matter where the account is located. Just open it so the funds can be place into that account, then removed the fund and close the account for good.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Thanks AAGK for your advice and response. I had to close the account as I moved from South Africa to Turkey. The bank is in South Africa. After keeping me going from pillar to post making me wait for EXPEDIA's mandatory 6-8 weeks waiting period for refund to be reflected in my bank now EXPEDIA is taking the stance that they are not responsible for providing me proof of refund and continuing to say that they have done their part and refunded the amount on 2nd Sept. It is upto me to follow with my bank and airline Air France. Yes my debit card had a Visa logo. Can you advice me how can I extract the information about proof of transfer in form of Swift document from either EXPEDIA or Air FRANCE. At this stage am not even sure who between both of them would have refunded to my bank card in the first instance. Thanks once again
It probably won't make a difference if you reopen the account if the refund was returned. Exoedia would still need to re-send it. Has your bank confirmed that they received a refund from Expedia, that they rerouted?

Aug 28, 2015
New York

dear
As I stated to you earlier, the refund tracking number is very easy to obtain- a frontline Expedia agent could easily provide it. However, it is actually not relevant. If I understand correctly, your bank already sent it back. This is the part I am trying to understand. it is unclear whether you are trying to get Expedia to issue the refund once again, or you are trying to assist your bank in tracking it, which shouldn't be necessary. You should still report the charge to the fraud department. They will sort it out.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I think he needs an account acceptable to whoever is holding the bounced refund to deposit. He needs his old account temporary reopened or his old bank to arrange to receive the funds and pass them on to him. If it's true the old bank "bounced" the funds once already then they already have the "electronic trail" to know where the money went.
Front line customer service people can't help with his need. LW needs the original bank to agree to receive the funds on his behalf. Then either Expedia or AF (whoever is holding) needs to resend.
An alternate way is to file a dispute and have the missing credit investigated. The biggest problem here is that the LW closed that account before all the business in that Acct was completed.
Expedia is your Travel Agent and they need to assist.

Last edited:
B

bodega3

If the carrier charged the ticket, the carrier will refund NOT Expedia. Expedia would only refund if the ticket was a bulk fare and run through their inhouse credit card account.