Expedia trip insurance Hot Potato

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 22, 2018
Purchase trip insurance "Travel Guard" from Expedia for AA flight that was delayed for 3 hours out ofSan Juan to
Miami. Because of delay RC cruise to Cuba was missed. Travel Guard says to take it up with AA. Who is Responsible?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Did you insure your cruise? Was this cruise air purchased thru the Cruiseline?
Sadly flying in the day the cruise departs is a recipe for trouble.
Did you read your policy.... it does not cover your cruise unless you specifically purchase a insurance policy covering the value of both air & Cruise.

Sep 19, 2015
Some insurance only kicks in when a delay is over 6, 12 or 24 hours. What does the policy say?

I hate to say it but if a 3 hour delay is enough to make you miss the cruise you cut it too close.

Did you book the airfare separately from the cruise?

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Christina is correct- look at the detailed policy. It tells you how much of a delay is covered.

On the other hand- never fly into a cruise the day of the cruise. You should always fly in the day before st the very less. There are too many flight delays that will result in missing the ship.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Notma, the reason for the flight cancellation is important. If it was something under the airline's control, they may be responsible ... but not for your cruise I'm sorry to say. Your insurance contract will tell you exactly what kind of insurance coverage you purchased. This must have been tremendously disappointing and I'm so sorry that it happened. I took exactly one cruise where I flew in at noon for a 430pm sailing. Never again, I was a nervous wreck. Please come back to us if you need more assistance.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Did you make the air travel arrangments on your own or did the cruise line? If you made the air reservations on your own you will have a difficult time getting any reimbursement for the missed cruise. Planning to fly into a cruise ship embarkation port on the day of departure is a guaranteed way to miss the ship's sailing. You need to view flying in the day before sailing as a relatively low-cost form of travel insurance far more important than an insurance policy for a cruise (although you still need an insurance policy that covers the travel risks you face).

If the cruise line made the reservation with inadequate time to reach the ship, you need to begin corresponding with them, not calling them.

Sep 22, 2018
Cruise and air to sea package bought through Ship Senior Planner.
Insurance was also bought tru RC with AON trip insurance. Ship cruise planner checking
With supervisor as to what the four person who miss this cruise are entitle to in conversation
Due to a 3 hr Delay flight. Will have more detail of what insurance policy covers this coming week.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you have a link to the policy?

Your initial post says you bought insurance through Expedia. Now you say the insurance was bought “through RC”.

And the cruise was booked through Ship Senior Planner. (Do you mean you purchased the cruise while on another cruise?)

What does Expedia’s insurance have to do with this? Did you buy Expedia’s insurance just for the air? If you did, you won’t be covered for the cruise if you only bought insurance for the air.

Did you buy insurance for the cruise from Royal Caribbean (I assume RC is Royal Caribbean?)

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Well this is completely different information than your original post and frankly changed everything. IF this was cruise air.... and you had a pkg with Ins offered thru the cruise line.

So let me clarify, was this a Cruise and Air package with both purchased together thru the Cruiseline and you ALSO purchased travel insurance along with your cruise/air package? Did you purchase your Air thru the Cruiseline or book yourself thru Expedia?

This statement could not be more Different details than originally presented. Like Neil posted above in am not confused about the actual details because the details in this case are important.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Ok I am not a cruiser but am totally confused. What is Ship Senior Planner?

Why is there mention of a Royal Caribbean insurance from AON and also Travel Guard (AIG) from Expedia?

Were the air tickets bought through Expedia?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Ok I am not a cruiser but am totally confused. What is Ship Senior Planner?

Why is there mention of a Royal Caribbean insurance from AON and also Travel Guard (AIG) from Expedia?

Were the air tickets bought through Expedia?
And there is the confusion. If this is cruise air and purchased thru the Cruiseline Air dept then there is hope. But it does not sound to me that the air arrangements were purchased using the Cruise Air program. OP has not clarified if his air was a Self DIY booking. I think the cruise was booked direct with Travel insurance and the Air was Self booked also with TI. Unfortunately the insurance only covers the individual pieces and Expedia is responsible for the air portion and they only arrived 3 hrs late. But the TI does not insure the cruise. TI thru the Cruiseline only covers air purchased thru them.

Sep 19, 2015
And there is the confusion. If this is cruise air and purchased thru the Cruiseline Air dept then there is hope. But it does not sound to me that the air arrangements were purchased using the Cruise Air program. OP has not clarified if his air was a Self DIY booking. I think the cruise was booked direct with Travel insurance and the Air was Self booked also with TI. Unfortunately the insurance only covers the individual pieces and Expedia is responsible for the air portion and they only arrived 3 hrs late. But the TI does not insure the cruise. TI thru the Cruiseline only covers air purchased thru them.
Thank you for helping to explain — It sounds like we all need to wait for the OP to explain the details of the trip.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
It would seem the OP tried to do the right things by purchasing Travel Insurance but he insured the separate pieces and not the combined Full trip as one piece. These two policies are not compatible to provide full coverage of Air & Cruise. The coverage for his flights only covered the flights and getting the OP and his luggage to his destination and offered no coverage for his cruise at all. In fact these days 3 hrs late is darn near on time.
I have personally missed a ship and chased a ship, expensive lesson learned. I fly in the day before always. In Europe I fly in at least 3 days ahead of sailing.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It would seem the OP tried to do the right things by purchasing Travel Insurance but he insured the separate pieces and not the combined Full trip as one piece. These two policies are not compatible to provide full coverage of Air & Cruise. The coverage for his flights only covered the flights and getting the OP and his luggage to his destination and offered no coverage for his cruise at all. In fact these days 3 hrs late is darn near on time.
I have personally missed a ship and chased a ship, expensive lesson learned. I fly in the day before always. In Europe I fly in at least 3 days ahead of sailing.
I am thinking this is the problem as well. If you insure the complements separately you need to file a claim with the company that insured the cruise.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Maybe that will work but since Air was not a part of the Cruise Coverage I don’t think it will cover. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Notma, as you can see from all the discussion, the full details of your experience really matter. If you would make a list in chronological order, of all the facts, being sure to answer all our questions, we can help you get the compensation you are entitled to.