Expedia sold me travel insurance that didn't cover my cancellation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 6, 2018
In October I booked a Christmas trip to New York City through Expedia that was to be a surprise for my wife and, due to the cost of the trip, I purchased the "travel protection" insurance plan which was offered through AIG. Within a week of booking the vacation I learned that I would not be able to take off work during the scheduled time of the trip so I cancelled my flight and hotel reservations. I also filed a claim with AIG. AIG has rejected my claim twice, stating that cancellations due to job conflicts are not covered - I have also reached out to the hotel that was booked as well as Expedia but have received no response. I could understand not refunding my money if I had cancelled a week or two before the trip but I cancelled almost two months in advance, allowing more than enough time for my flight and hotel reservations to be purchased by someone else. Now I am out around $2500 right at Christmas time. I would like Expedia to refund my money and do a better job of clarifying what is and is not covered by their "Travel Protection Policy".

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Before you purchased did you expressly ask Expedia if the policy covered work cancellation? Did you have an inkling you might have to cancel for work reasons before you bought.

If you didn’t, you should have read what was and wasn’t covered. There are many third party policies that do cover that.

If you book nonrefundable reservations, they are just that- nonrefundable. Airlines and hotels both sell tickets/rooms are refundable but they cost more. If you opted for a lower non refundable rate you don’t get to try and change the terms when something like this happens. These are the consequences of buying those rates.

Sep 19, 2015
One has to read the terms of an insurance policy to see if it is appropriate and what it covers.

As mentioned by others unless job conflict is covered the claim will be denied.

Just as with car insurance, home insurance, etc, some things are covered and some are not.

May I ask why a trip was booked before having the time off confirmed?

Jan 30, 2018
I have noticed that refundable hotel reservations are often only a few dollars more per night than non-refundable so that is what I book. Airline tickets are, unfortunately, a different story!

Dec 6, 2018
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Like probably 90%+ all people I did not read the "fine print" - shame on me, lesson learned. That doesn't change the fact that it seems grossly unjust not to provide at least a partial refund when I cancelled my reservations so quickly after making them - I could understand if I had done it at the last minute but it was almost two months in advance. Attached is a screenshot of what I did read (again, it's on me for not reading all the fine print, but it really shouldn't be that way to begin with) and it clearly states - "Trip Cancellation 100%".
Screenshot 2018-12-07 18.21.14.png

Dec 6, 2018
One has to read the terms of an insurance policy to see if it is appropriate and what it covers.

As mentioned by others unless job conflict is covered the claim will be denied.

Just as with car insurance, home insurance, etc, some things are covered and some are not.

May I ask why a trip was booked before having the time off confirmed?
Honestly I didn't think getting off was going to be a problem and the price was good so I didn't want to miss it. Hindsight's 20/20.......lot of lessons learned here but it would be nice to get some of my money back.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
How awful, I'm so sorry. I think you should compose a polite, concise letter to AIG asking for consideration. It's an extremely small possibility, but complaint departments are so numb from reading that everything is someone else's fault. If you just step right up and say you made a big mistake by not undersanding what you purchased, someone might be moved by the Christmas spirit to help you. Since you're going to re-book this trip and will need insurance coverage, perhaps they might just switch it to the new trip. It's a HUGE long shot, but far better than just watching at all that money going down the drain. Best of luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There is a link in that policy picture you posted that takes you to the full policy so you can read the details- the overview you posted isn’t the full policy. It’s right on top of the page you sent - “Policy of Insurance”. If you click on that you can read it.

Unfortunately, its a hard lesson learned about knowing what you are buying. I’m sorry you didn’t usev a travel Agent that could have advised you on what you were buying. When you book nonrefundable rates- it is just that- nonrefundable, even if you change your mind five minutes later. There are many third party companies that do cover work reasons.

There are both hotel and air reservations you can buy that are refundable and the options are there to choose when you book.

Isn’t there any way you can get the time off? Had you requested it before booking and then they changed their minds?