Expedia nightmare! I thought I was dealing with Expedia Canada

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2015
And this is probably what the problem is and I think you definitely have a valid complaint.

When you write, clearly state that at no time did the rep tell you they were charging US dollars since you were led there from the CA site.

Start writing to them and let us know what the responses are so we can help you with your response as you move up the chain.
They have offices also in Canada. They seem to be affiliate franchises.

Sep 19, 2015
This is frustrating as it took us long time to saved money to have a family vacation and this mistake cost us C$3000. I will definitely email Expedia again and keep you guys posted. Thanks for all your help.
Where did these numbers come from? Did you call Expedia.com or Expedia.ca?

Jun 10, 2018
Where did these numbers come from? Did you call Expedia.com or Expedia.ca?
The C$3000? It came from Expedia US’s supervisor when she filed the complaint for me. She said that’s the amount difference that I paid based on the package that I saw on their website and the amount I was charged.

Sep 19, 2015
The C$3000? It came from Expedia US’s supervisor when she filed the complaint for me. She said that’s the amount difference that I paid based on the package that I saw on their website and the amount I was charged.
Sorry I meant the phone numbers. Trying to figure out how you ended up calling places in the us.

Jun 10, 2018
Sorry I meant the phone numbers. Trying to figure out how you ended up calling places in the us.
I was searching for cheap vacations since March. I called Expedia Canada to inquire in March. I was told that it’s a large group so I should call a Group booking and they gave me the phone number. I called Group booking but said they don’t handle hotels and flights. It should be Package booking so I was given another number for package booking. I kept both numbers for future use not knowing it was a US telephone numbers

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a real shame. Booking travel on the internet is fraught with issues. Do you have plain "800" numbers in Canada? What is the prefix you use in Canada to denote a toll-free call? How do you state Canadian dollars in Canada? Just the regular dollar sign? From the USA, anything I book in Canada is stated CA$ so I know what I'm dealing with. This is such a great example of why it's so dangerous to book complex travel on your own. A good travel agent would have saved you all this heartache. I'm so sorry this happened.

May 26, 2018
The two red flags I see here are Expedia.com, the US site and not Expedia.ca which is the Canadian site. Also, the prices were shown as $ when prices quoted in Canadian dollars are generally listed as C$ or CAD$. If no modifier is in place you should be alerted that the price is most always in US$. Outside the USA you might see US$ or USD$ But not inside. Expedia paid the vendors in currency converted from US dollars so they are unlikely to refund the difference between CAD and USD. I never ... let me repeat that ... NEVER book flights or hotels on the phone. Online it will definitely show which currency is being quoted.

Jul 2, 2018
The two red flags I see here are Expedia.com, the US site and not Expedia.ca which is the Canadian site. Also, the prices were shown as $ when prices quoted in Canadian dollars are generally listed as C$ or CAD$. If no modifier is in place you should be alerted that the price is most always in US$. Outside the USA you might see US$ or USD$ But not inside. Expedia paid the vendors in currency converted from US dollars so they are unlikely to refund the difference between CAD and USD. I never ... let me repeat that ... NEVER book flights or hotels on the phone. Online it will definitely show which currency is being quoted.
Not quite true. I just looked at my Expedia app. When I am on the Canadian site, it has a “C” before the amount. But I can switch it to the Expedia.com site and there is no indication as to what currency you are dealing with. Periodically when the app updates, it boots you back into the US site with no warning. I know because the app just did this after an update last week. I have actually been caught before paying USD when I thought I was on the Canadian site - and I know to look!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
ADVOCATE ADVICE
I feel like a broken record ... don't book travel on your phone! Use a real computer, always. Enter the website name directly; don't click on a search results link. Be sure you know what you're looking at. Triple check every detail. These companies will stop at nothing to make a dollar.

Jul 2, 2018
ADVOCATE ADVICE
I feel like a broken record ... don't book travel on your phone! Use a real computer, always. Enter the website name directly; don't click on a search results link. Be sure you know what you're looking at. Triple check every detail. These companies will stop at nothing to make a dollar.
Sometimes when you are en route to a location, you have no choice to use a phone. The time I was speaking of I was on route to Vancouver and had no where to stay for the night. No computer around. Just me, looking for accommodation on my trusty phone at 10 pm with two cranky kids in the backseat.