Expedia mobile booked wrong date at hotel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 4, 2017
Hello,

I've been an avid follower of your column for years (star tribune) and hope your team can help.

Expedia's website randomly populated a reservation date of 10/29/17 for a hotel that I was trying to book for 10/4/17. They will not refund my money even though the website changed the date back to 10/29 in error after I corrected it to 10/4.

I spoke with an Expedia corporate manager on Monday who will not refund me anything even though my initial call to Expedia last week were met with assurances from their service reps that they understood this was their website's fault (2nd time they've done this to me, but last time they fixed it for me.)

Can you please help? I've spent so much time on the phone and over email, and it's exhausting trying to politely request my $161+. I purchased travel insurance from Expedia for $9 that they will only allow me to use for medical reasons. I'm just stuck at this point.

I can't find the list of executives to contact on this site that was mentioned on another similar thread (that thread was for the android app).

Thank you very much for any advice or assistance you can offer. I

Feb 9, 2016
If this is truly an app issue then you are not the only one experiencing it and it is reproducible.

Go back and mock book and record the steps you are taking and then file a formal bug report with their IT department detailing those steps. Hopefully you get a case number.

Then call Expedia and get a manager on the phone, cite the bug report and then walk them thru having them mock book the reservation with you so they can see what it is doing.

BE SURE TO WRITE DOWN THE NAMES, DATES AND TIMES for everyone you verbally speak with. this will be information you can insert into your letter later.

here are the expedia company contacts

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/expedia/

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017
I booked the hotel using my iphone on 9/28/17, and within minutes of seeing they repopulated the wrong date on the confirmation email I called them. I spoke with someone right away.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I booked the hotel using my iphone on 9/28/17, and within minutes of seeing they repopulated the wrong date on the confirmation email I called them. I spoke with someone right away.
It didn't appear on the booking screen before you hit buy?

Do what sas says- recreate it and take a screen shot. That way you can do a credit card dispute if Expedia refuses to refund.

Oct 4, 2017
It didn't appear on the booking screen before you hit buy?

Do what sas says- recreate it and take a screen shot. That way you can do a credit card dispute if Expedia refuses to refund.
I've tried to recreate through a mock booking on my phone. I did not use an app. It is entirely possible the wrong date was listed again when I hit complete booking, and I didn't see it because the font is quite tiny. I have a screen shot of that during mock book. Otherwise I can't recreate the glitch where it repopulated wrong date because now the website accepts the date change I input. I'm not sure if their technical team fixed it after I called since they told me twice on the phone it was not their website's fault. I just don't have any proof. I know I put 10/4 in and the website reverted to the 10/29 date. I emailed their executive team. Thank you.

Oct 4, 2017
Expedia reply:
Dear ------,

Thank you for contacting Expedia and giving us the opportunity to address your concerns.

We understand from your email that your reservation at Executive Hotel Vintage Court was booked for the wrong date. We have reviewed your booking session on September 27, 2017 and confirmed that the reservation was being booked for October 29, 2017. When our customers book online, we provide a Trip Summary page with the details of the booking for customer to review.

We have contacted the hotel on your behalf and requested to cancel your reservation with refund; regrettably, the hotel did not authorize any refund as the booking is non-refundable.

We regret that we are unable to offer a more satisfactory response or resolution to your concern. At Expedia, we try as much as possible to provide not only excellent customer service but we also try to exceed what is expected of us. However, we know that there are some instances when policies associated with the purchases made on our website cannot allow for a resolution that is more favorable to our customers.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience you have experienced with your travel plans.

Should you have any additional questions, please reply directly to this email.

We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns and look forward to serving you in the near future.

Thank you,
Sara Kerr
Executive Resolutions Team

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Oct 12, 2017 11:16:10 AM
To:
Additional Recipients:
Subject: Re: Case ID : REQ:S-14------- for Itinerary ----- Wrong date for hotel booking on Expedia

Dear Expedia,

Please provide an update on this matter.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
---------

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 7, 2017, at 5:00 AM, CustomerServiceTier3@expedia.com wrote:
>
> Dear -----
>
> Thank you for contacting Expedia''s Executive Resolutions Team. We are currently in the process of reviewing the details of your concerns. We will reach out to you as soon as possible with our findings. Should you have any additional concerns, please respond to this email directly.
>
> Thank you,
> Executive Resolutions Team

> -----Original Message-----
Sent: Oct 7, 2017 1:59:39 AM
To:
Additional Recipients:
Subject: Case ID : REQ:S-14------- for ItineraryWrong date for hotel booking on Expedia

Hello,

My name is -------- and I work at a ----- in ---------- CA. I obtained your email addresses via the Chris Elliott help forum.

I'm writing you because I recently used your website to book what I thought was a great deal on a nice hotel in the city of San Francisco for a date night with my husband - we haven't had many of those since we had our child. It was going be only the 2nd time we would be away from our five year old child for a night.

For some reason, Expedia's website randomly picked 10/29/17 as the night I would need lodging. I corrected the date to 10/4/17 after I realized it. Then I booked it. Not only did the website change it back to 10/29/17, but I didn't notice that it had done that until I received my confirmation email.
I called your customer service right away, and I spoke with a very nice person named Sam. He assured me he would call me back the next day since he could not speak with the hotel manager that evening. He did not, but
someone else emailed me. I called again on Monday 10/2. I spoke with someone who was fairly nice but not helpful, and then I was transferred to a manager.

I am frustrated that my time was ultimately wasted during these lengthy phone calls, and I have had to spend a lot of my personal time emailing your representatives and calling them for a mistake I did not make that will cost me $161+. My time is precious right now - as I mentioned above I work for a ------- and we are in full ---------- season.

On Monday 10/2, I was on the phone with your team for 47 minutes and asked to stay on the line even longer while your manager checked on something else - all during my business hours. I missed part of a meeting
with my team for this issue. And the manager left me a voice mail later saying he could do nothing to help me.

This is not something I did by mistake or something I purposely chose to do and am now canceling plans - 10/29 was never a date I needed lodging. It is not a night I will be able to use the hotel, and I definitely believe your website made the error because it happened once before a year or two ago.

Please let me know whether you can help me recover my funds. I really don't want to give up on your service or website simply because of a glitch and because your customer service makes it excruciatingly time consuming and
exhausting to address in a reasonable manner or amount of time. Will you please fix this glitch and help me with returning my funds? Thank you.

Sincerely,

Oct 4, 2017
One more note: my husband called the hotel directly to ask politely for some help. They said they sold room to Expedia so that any refunding would need to be decided by Expedia. I'm not sure why Expedia continues to assert that the hotel won't allow cancellation and refund because the hotel wanted to help us and offered a gift card for use on another day if we can't obtain a cancellation from Expedia.

Thank you

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
One more note: my husband called the hotel directly to ask politely for some help. They said they sold room to Expedia so that any refunding would need to be decided by Expedia. I'm not sure why Expedia continues to assert that the hotel won't allow cancellation and refund because the hotel wanted to help us and offered a gift card for use on another day if we can't obtain a cancellation from Expedia.

Thank you
Try getting the hotels ok in writing. Send that to expedia.

Feb 9, 2016

Thank you
Expedia is putting on the hotel because then Expedia doesn't look like jerks for telling you no.

You can always reply to that letter and say:

Dear Expedia, on XYYYDDD I spoke with general manager <insert name> and he/she advised that the room was sold to Expedia and that any potential refund was at Expedias discretion. Therefore the hotel is perfectly fine with you deciding to refund my reservation charges. Now that the hotel has given their blessing for a refund, is a refund going to be possible?

Thanks

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you had been able to recreate the issue you would have a case. The fact that you couldn't backs up Expedia claim that you made the mistake.

I'd try sas's letter but move up to the next executive in our list and tel him or her.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I hope you can get this straightened out with my colleagues' advice, Elizabeth.

There are many common sense rules about booking travel, but one of them is quickly rising to the top of the list. Don't book travel on your phone. Book on your computer, where you can see what's on the screen and review it all before hitting the 'buy' button. I know that using a phone for all kinds of things is great fun for some, but booking travel on a phone is not good idea ... ever. Using your phone to book travel on an online booking site is the worst. If you make a mistake booking directly, you have a really good chance of correcting it. With an OBS, you rarely get it corrected and your money is gone.

Oct 4, 2017
Expedia no longer replies. I did as suggested and the hotel manager gave us his full name and phone number and was willing to talk to an Expedia rep for us. It was a back and forth situation where the hotel said its hands were tied because the hotel already sold room to Expedia and Expedia just flat out refused to even respond to that assertion from hotel and ignored my 3 emailed requests to speak directly with hotel manager.

Even if I made a mistake, which I did not because I know I changed the date and the website reverted to the random date, I bought their insurance for an extra $9. I am unhappy that Expedia can keep $161+ even though I notified them right away that their website changed my reservation date.

Feb 9, 2016
So this seems like a simple mistake.

Screen shot your phone call log, the one that demonstrates that you called within a few minutes of booking, as soon as you noticed the error. You can use that, along with your confirmation email, to prove that you were on top of this. Send that info to the executives. Send all email correspondence to the executives as well, and recap the behavior conversations you have had, including name of person you spoke to, date, time, and content of the call.

If push comes to shove, you can probably file a credit card dispute using the same information.