Expedia is not going to pay for the extra night of the hotel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 6, 2018
My wife and I made air and hotel arrangements for a trip to Kraków Poland in February 2019 through Expedia. We then received (some time later) an email informing us that the flight had been changed and we would return one day later. It is not a problem for us to stay over another day later however Expedia was not going to pay for the extra night of the hotel. We had agreed to six and return on the seventh day of our trip. They changed it so we have to return on the eighth day but they refused to pay for the additional night hotel room. Speaking with Expedia they said that they have no control over the airlines and the airlines set the flight itinerary. If Expedia didn’t already own seats on the flight I bought then what did they sell me? My brother in laws and their wives have had the same thing done to them by Expedia for this same trip. Is there anything that we can do?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Expedia is correct - they don’t have to pay for the extra night as it is an airline issue. The airline should pay for a hotel. However, you don’t have to accept that flight change either.

You can go back to Expedia and tell them that the extra night is not acceptable and ask them to
find you another flight that gets you home the same day.

When you book very early chances are flight times will change. When it’s more than 2 or 3 hours you don’t have to accept the change.

I would check the airline you were booked on and see if they have another flight that would get you home your original date. If you find one that works, asl Expedia to change you. If not ask
Expedia to find you another flight that gets you home on your original date.

Jul 27, 2016
Did you book this as an air/hotel package? If not, then Expedia really isn't liable here, but they can be helpful. Find out what flight you'd _like_ to be on, and then call them and say "since my flight 123 on airline X was cancelled, I'd like to be on flight 456 on airline Y." That gives them a specific request to put to the airline on your behalf. If this was booked as a package, then it should be on Expedia to either rebook you or cover the last night of the hotel, since they sold you the bundle.