Expedia / Enterprise Double rental due to wrong location.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 28, 2019
So I read a few things in advance to my first trip to Costa Rica. One of them was that renting a car in CR can be a huge nightmare due to hidden fees, mandatory insurance, etc. What I did not read was that you might rent a car in the wrong location...

So I had a trip planned for 2/11/2019 through to 2/21-2019. In January I booked a rental car through Expedia for Enterprise rental as I found that I got a discount with my combined flight.

Weary as my research continued after the rental was booked, I noticed that the address to Enterprise the rental location was not a real address. It was listed as this “between 35th and 36th San Jose, 11111.” After seeing this I wanted to call Expedia and confirm it was the correct address and also wanted to get confirmation on the total cost of the rental as I learned that Insurance was mandatory. After a good hour of my time, and a few phones calls back and forth, Expedia called Enterprise for me and confirmed it was the correct address, and told me that there would be a shuttle to pick me up from the airport and I wouldn’t really need to worry about the address. As for the total, I was originally quoted on the Expedia website for $76, but after she called and asked about full coverage and taxes, that price changed to $296 which I wrote down because this was a verbal transaction. I was not too shocked, but felt that was a good price compared to what else I saw and read after some decent research. On top of that I asked the Expedia when I was on the phone if that was the cheapest 4wd car she could offer. I was told that I couldn’t even get a car for that price and I was getting a good deal combined with my flight.

So fast forward to my arrival, I get all my bags, make my way to the Enterprise rental desk and show the man my itinerary number for my rental car. He struggles to find any information under my name on his computer and claims I should just take the shuttle, and that the main office can figure out the issue. So I take the shuttle and the same thing happens at the Enterprise main office. No one understands the address, where and of my info is, and that I am pretty much screwed. THEN one man behind the counter looks at the address and says OH! This happens all the time with Expedia, that is a California office (which I believed him since he works there, but I proved this to be wrong too). So with that, they claim that is an issue with Expedia and I will need to take it up with them.

So Since I am stuck, and I need a rental, the guy claims they have 1 comparable 4wd vehicle that they can rent me, but it is $791.70 total with full insurance. Upset but eager to get on with my trip I agree and sign the paperwork and carry on with the trip. The truck is great, its brand new, and I determined it was and most likely way better than the original truck I was trying to rent. I returned the truck 9 days later, everything was in good shape and I got my receipt.

Now I return home and call Expedia. They do some research again and give me a claim number and agree to call me back later. A few hours pass and I get a return call with acknowledgement that the situation was NOT in fact Expedia, but an issue with Enterprise. Expedia provided me a number to call in Costa Rica that I could talk to Enterprise and get reimbursed or something. I call the number and it wont go through. I google the number and it is for a car rental agency that is not even Enterprise. From this I give up and go to my email that I received my invoice copy from Enterprise. Here I call them, exchange a few emails back and forth, and they agree its an error on their part, and they are willing to refund me the “difference”.

HERE is where it gets interesting. Since I was originally quoted for $76 for a rental, and the insurance was not included, the amount of $296 from the verbal quote from Expedia means nothing. Here is a break down of the difference from Enterprise;

The rate charge for all the rental was for $60.22.

The insurance taken at the counter which has a cost of $45 per day.

The rate charge with the taxes are $77.32

Insurance for 9 days is $405

TOTAL is $482.32.

Now with that said, my original quote that I agreed to the day I got there was broken down like so;

RATE CHARGE $60.22

ENTERPRISE PROTECTION PACKAGE $405.00

UPGRADE $00.00

LICENSE PLATE FEE $13.50

ENVIRONMENTAL FEE $3.60

Total charges $482.32

SUB TOTAL $791.70

I have NO IDEA where the $791.70 came from or where and what the difference is between the $482.32. In all of the documents I have, the Sub total jumps up from the “total charges.” With no explanation. Following that, I also have another document that says I had a $180.00 upgrade, but I have yet to get confirmation of what that “upgrade” was and further on it disappeared from the documents. Many emails have gone back and forth as I have been trying to depict the amounts and what the rates where, and what I was getting charged for. The numbers above took me some time to decipher as the documents needed to get translated.

So far, Enterprise agreed that the mix up was there fault and they returned $237.17, as they claim that number is the difference from the rental I reserved on Expedia. I have no IDEA what it is the difference for though as the rates do not line up anywhere….

I’m not a mathematician, but….

$791.70 – $482.30 = $309.38

There are numbers missing all over the place and I am super confused, and I have no idea how my ORIGINAL final amount was $791.70.

I do know that they said I returned the rental early and only charged me (which I have proof on my CC statement) a Total of $729.59

$791.70 – $482.30 = $247.29?

All in all here, I just want a break down of the original amount and charges, and the difference. Should I even continue bugging Enterprise knowing that even getting some money back was a small success?

Jan 6, 2015
If I'm following your post correctly, the math looks close. You say they only charged $729.59. If you deduct $482.30 that leaves $247.29 which is $10 more that what they gave you. I would let it go . . .

Sep 19, 2015
What a mess. I am having problems following.

It is very confusing -- San Jose CA airport code is SJC -- San Jose Costa Rico is SJO.

The address of between 34 and 36th is not California it is the Marriott downtown San Jose CR.

San José Belen Marriott Hotel Car Rental ... La Asuncion De Belen CALLE DON CHICO San Jose, CR, 11111 .... Between 34th And 36th. San Jose, CR 11111 -- which is 6 km from the airport.

I am not sure how this happened. There are many checks on the Expedia website for making sure one is reserving CA versus CR.

What did your confirmation actually say?

If the difference is only a few dollars I would let it go,.

Attachments

Feb 28, 2019
I agree this is all very confusing.
In the end, my original reservation through Expedia was quoted fort $296 after taxes and insurance.
My final cost through Enterprise was $729.59
They then refunded me $247.29
This leaves me with a bill of $482.30, $186.30 more than I was quoted through Expedia using Enterprise.

If I'm following your post correctly, the math looks close. You say they only charged $729.59. If you deduct $482.30 that leaves $247.29 which is $10 more that what they gave you. I would let it go . . .
If I let it go I potentially lose $186.30.

What a mess. I am having problems following.

It is very confusing -- San Jose CA airport code is SJC -- San Jose Costa Rico is SJO.

The address of between 34 and 36th is not California it is the Marriott downtown San Jose CR.

San José Belen Marriott Hotel Car Rental ... La Asuncion De Belen CALLE DON CHICO San Jose, CR, 11111 .... Between 34th And 36th. San Jose, CR 11111 -- which is 6 km from the airport.

I am not sure how this happened. There are many checks on the Expedia website for making sure one is reserving CA versus CR.

What did your confirmation actually say?

If the difference is only a few dollars I would let it go,.
I did google the address but it just goes to a random location near the airport as you confirmed. I wasn't aware it was a hotel, still very strange.

Confirmation of the Expedia rental is different than the Enterprise rental. I have also yet to get a refund from the Expedia reservation considering I was unable to use it.

If I let this go I potentially lose $186.30, but that is only referencing a verbal quote that I wrote down after I booked, I have no paper proof on that number.

1551795496650.png

Feb 28, 2019
So I guess from here I can try and contact Expedia again and get my $79.22 back and I will only be out a little over $100.

Sep 19, 2015
If the rental was done at the airport there may be additional taxes — I think it is 13 percent.

So you originally agreed to $791 for the 10 day rental?
What did the paperwork say when the car was picked up — the rental agreement?

Feb 28, 2019
When you click on "Map and Directions", what does it display?
It presents coordinates, Which are right outside of San Jose, Costa Rica. When I called Expedia about this the lady agreed that it was really odd.

1551805013459.png
If the rental was done at the airport there may be additional taxes — I think it is 13 percent.
So you originally agreed to $791 for the 10 day rental?
What did the paperwork say when the car was picked up — the rental agreement?
I actually was shuttled from the airport to an Enterprise local and paid there. On the documents is says "Enterprise - Paseo Colón" but if I google this, the location that shows up is not where I went, and the google image of the front of the building looks nothing like where I was.

At this location was where I then agreed to the $791 for the 10 day rental, as I had no choice. This is the paperwork:
1551806153535.png

NOTE*** the upgrade. I don't know what that was for, and it was later removed when I contacted them.

In the future, never pre pay for a car reservation. Pay at pick up. It might cost more but it would have been worth it in this case. And rent directly through the rental car company, not a third party.
I learned from this mistake that going through Expedia was a bad idea. At the time I was getting a better rate than anything I could find, but after all of this mess, that is most likely not true.

As far as prepaying, I only paid $70 to hold the rental through Expedia, the rest was at the counter at the Enterprise location, and they only charged me once I returned the vehicle.

Feb 28, 2019
I just noticed that the original paperwork right there has the "Costa Rica, Heredia Province, Belén, Costa Rica" address which is considered the Marriott Hotel office. This is in fact where I picked up the rental and signed the paperwork.

1551806556061.png

Jan 6, 2015
Expedia Quote (online): $482
Expedia Quote (verbal): $296
At Costa Rica Location: $791

Upon return to USA . . .
$730 (per CC statement)
$249 (?) refund from Enterprise (you first said $237)
$481 total cost

These are the numbers you have posted. What I re-read is that the $296 was a "discount with my combined flight".

That might have worked except for the mix up at the rental agency in Costa Rica. I now believe what happened was they (Enterprise) started over with a brand new reservation, thereby losing your Expedia-related discount. The local agency told you this (worn location).

True or not, either Enterprise or Expedia should make up the difference ($85). The challenge you face is that the $296 quote was by phone and you've given no indication of a follow up email . . .

Feb 28, 2019
Expedia Quote (online): $482
Expedia Quote (verbal): $296
At Costa Rica Location: $791

Upon return to USA . . .
$730 (per CC statement)
$249 (?) refund from Enterprise (you first said $237)
$481 total cost

These are the numbers you have posted. What I re-read is that the $296 was a "discount with my combined flight".

That might have worked except for the mix up at the rental agency in Costa Rica. I now believe what happened was they (Enterprise) started over with a brand new reservation, thereby losing your Expedia-related discount. The local agency told you this (worn location).

True or not, either Enterprise or Expedia should make up the difference ($85). The challenge you face is that the $296 quote was by phone and you've given no indication of a follow up email . . .
I never got an Expedia quote online but,

Yes this is perfectly correct to what has happened.

Indication of a follow up email with Expedia or Enterprise?

If I follow up with Expedia again I have no email contact for them. If I try to mark an error with my rental it just says I need to call...

Feb 28, 2019
I have yet to hear back from Expedia.

I did receive another email from Enterprise today again stating that I did not have insurance with them in the original quote I got ans that is the difference in the final sum.

Im curious what Expedia will say. Typically how long should I wait for a reply?

Jan 6, 2015
Looking back at the receipt you posted Enterprise charged you:

one week at $85
one day at $31
fuel (pre-paid), license, environmental $85
upgrade $180
protection package $405
TOTAL: $784

The only way to get to $482 is for them to remove the upgrade and the one week/one day entries. Taking the $791 and subtracting the $180 upgrade and the $405 protection leaves $206. I can't come up with any logical combination to support Enterprise' contention about the insurance.

And it now seems they didn't charge even the $60!

The challenge you face is that the $296 was a verbal quote from Expedia . . .

Feb 28, 2019
Looking back at the receipt you posted Enterprise charged you:

one week at $85
one day at $31
fuel (pre-paid), license, environmental $85
upgrade $180
protection package $405
TOTAL: $784

The only way to get to $482 is for them to remove the upgrade and the one week/one day entries. Taking the $791 and subtracting the $180 upgrade and the $405 protection leaves $206. I can't come up with any logical combination to support Enterprise' contention about the insurance.

And it now seems they didn't charge even the $60!

The challenge you face is that the $296 was a verbal quote from Expedia . . .
Exactly. The first thing I asked in three separate emails to Enterprise was if they could simply supply me with an exact breakdown at how they arrived with the difference they refunded me; $247.29.

I still have no idea how they arrived at that number as none of the math adds up.

In addition to that, I have NO CLUE to what the "$180 upgrade" was or what it included, but it disappeared once I started asking questions which seems odd to me.

This has been drawn out to a point of me wondering if the $186.30 is worth it.

Jan 6, 2015
The refund makes sense. It is the $482 plus the $66 for prepaid fuel, which looks right from here, in spite of what the verbal quote was. I would drop it at this point.

Lessons learned:
  • Never trust a verbal quote. Always request an email confirmation or book online.
  • Always take a copy with you.
  • Question items you do not understand. The bill you received in CR shows a different rate ($85 total vs. $60 quote) and a $180 upgrade.
  • Never assume you can get it straightened out afterwards.
Those are good rules for anything you must pay for when you arrive . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
One more thing to add is to review the driving laws of the country you are traveling to. There are several that have mandatory insurance requirements and you really don’t get the full cost until you get to the location. A third party like Expedia just doesn’t have the ability to break down all these insurance costs for every country.