Expedia - customer confusion over flight credit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 14, 2018
I had a flight booked for June 2017 to London and right after my son got sick I had to cancel the flight.

I called Expedia to cancel my flight and was told I had a flight credit with British Airways that was expiring on April 30, 2018. To make sure I understood them correctly, I asked them a couple of times if I could use my flight credit which was expiring on April 30, 2018 for any future travel, the agent's response was yes, as long as you fly out from the US and your trip is completed within 2018 you can travel anytime after April 30, 2018. I also have an email from Expedia about the cancelled flight, which states that I can call back Expedia and re-book my trip by April 30, 2018, no information on the trip to have to be completed by April 30, 2018.

On April 22, 2018 I called Expedia customer service to re-book my flight to London for July 2018 (for a romantic trip with my husband) and was told I couldn't do that as I had to complete my travel by April 30, 2018. After escalating this case to 2 managers at Expedia and asking them to go through phone call recordings where one of their agents confirmed I could use the credit for any travels within 2018 (as long as I book the flight (not complete) by April 30, 2018) I haven't gotten anywhere. This trip was supposed to be an anniversary present from my husband and I am very confused by and upset at how this is being handled by Expedia.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on this.

Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You usually have to complete the trip by the date they give you.

If you have an email that doesn’t state you have to complete your trip by April 30- go to the top of our page and find our company contacts. Read our instructions on how to write and then start at Customer Service. Tell them exactly what you told us- the email doesn’t say you had to travel by April 30 and you are respectfully asking them to extend it so you can buy the tickets you want. You may have to go up to an executive but if they actually didn’t say you had to complete travel by April 30 I think they will extend it for you

You know there will be a cancellation fee assessed for the cancellation, right?

And buy travel insurance. You could have received a full refund if you had it. This is exactly what Travel insurance is for.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
These online booking services are infuriating. They spend millions on slick advertising and zilch on customer service. Their agents apparently are trained to take your order and if all goes well it's a good thing. When there are problems, the OBS don't seem to have agents with any knowledge or will to solve the issues. They seem to tell their customers anything and everything without regard for the real truth. I agree with Neil, I think one of the executives can help you; I'm so glad you have that email. It's such a shame to put people through this anguish. Please keep us updated and good luck.