Expedia created additional Itinerary without my knowledge and refuse to refund $1000

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 15, 2019
Has anyone had a scenario similar to me I booked a flight and got an itinerary number but no confirmation email contacted Expedia they told me booking flight wasn’t booked so I went ahead and r-ebooked with a proper travel agent. I was told I would be refunded Expedia then on my return home still no refund lodged a dispute with my bank the get told by Expedia that I created another itinerary (I didn’t) and supposedly forwarded said 2nd itinerary to myself to an email address that isn’t mine. Question is how could I generate a second itinerary without entering my credit card details it wouldn’t work plus they told me I only logged on once! My bank has confirmed that there was only one amount debited which is the one Expedia said they would refund then changed their mind.

Very strange there is something very dodgy going on in Expedia offices . They deny everything obviously and still insist I created the two itineraries how can I prove I didn’t?

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Did Expedia issue the ticket? Did you check your spam folders and make sure there is no email which contains the actual ticket via a link or attachment? Expedia should be able to produce the email they claim they sent you that contains the ticket. Would you have entered your spouse/friend's email by accident?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Please make any future reservations directly with the airline. There is no benefit to working with companies such as Expedia, etc. and can complicate things.

Ask to see the email confirmations for the two itineraries you supposedly created. Since everything is done via the internet, they should be able to produce this proof.

Mar 23, 2015
The amount went to my credit card account as pending and they said it would be released but it never was.
Are they saying it was declined, and that's what they meant by "didn't go through"? Because it woudn't show as pending if it had been declined. I'm confused by that terminology. If it showed as Pending, it went through (aka was approved by the issuing bank) it just hadn't been confirmed/fully ticketed, yet. Is THAT what they meant? Were there words exactly "hasn't gone through yet"? I'm wondering if they were going to cancel the flight since it was within 24 hours and it didn't get done... This is all very strange... the concept of the "second itinerary baffles me. You need to log into your Expedia account and look at "My trips" and see what all is in there for itineraries, because this second one should be there... allegedly. If there is no paper trail for the second one, and the ticket number doesn't match the paperwork for the one you DO have ..maybe that would be enough for your credit card company to take a second look at a dispute?

Sep 19, 2015
What was the ticket? Sometimes a ticket can take time to be issued, especially if there are code shares or smaller airlines involved. Was this a US itinerary? Was there a change in airline schedule therefore a second itinerary with new flights?

There is too much information missing.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you want to start at the beginning and make a list of the facts in chronological order, we can probably assist you. With a situation like yours, the details are vital; we need to understand what happened. Then we can give you advice on how to solve the problem. Flights and hotels booked with an online service make up a great percentage of submissions here. For most travelers, booking direct is much better ... if there are issues, you can get them straightened out directly with the airline or the hotel.

Oct 15, 2019
Are they saying it was declined, and that's what they meant by "didn't go through"? Because it woudn't show as pending if it had been declined. I'm confused by that terminology. If it showed as Pending, it went through (aka was approved by the issuing bank) it just hadn't been confirmed/fully ticketed, yet. Is THAT what they meant? Were there words exactly "hasn't gone through yet"? I'm wondering if they were going to cancel the flight since it was within 24 hours and it didn't get done... This is all very strange... the concept of the "second itinerary baffles me. You need to log into your Expedia account and look at "My trips" and see what all is in there for itineraries, because this second one should be there... allegedly. If there is no paper trail for the second one, and the ticket number doesn't match the paperwork for the one you DO have ..maybe that would be enough for your credit card company to take a second look at a dispute?
Expedia told me the booking was cancelled/unsuccessful. Nothing at all in my Expedia account.

Mar 23, 2015
Expedia told me the booking was cancelled/unsuccessful. Nothing at all in my Expedia account.
Cancelled and unsuccessful are not the same thing. Cancelled indicates it was successful completed and then it was reversed/cancelled after the fact by either party. Unsuccessful indicates the transaction was never successfully completed. I'm unsure which it was here...but the terminology is important. Which one did they tell you exactly?

Oct 15, 2019
If you want to start at the beginning and make a list of the facts in chronological order, we can probably assist you. With a situation like yours, the details are vital; we need to understand what happened. Then we can give you advice on how to solve the problem. Flights and hotels booked with an online service make up a great percentage of submissions here. For most travelers, booking direct is much better ... if there are issues, you can get them straightened out directly with the airline or the hotel.
When you received the itinerary notification, did you go to the airlines website she put the confirmation number in to see if you had a ticket?
When you received the itinerary notification, did you go to the airlines website she put the confirmation number in to see if you had a ticket?
Cancelled and unsuccessful are not the same thing. Cancelled indicates it was successful completed and then it was reversed/cancelled after the fact by either party. Unsuccessful indicates the transaction was never successfully completed. I'm unsure which it was here...but the terminology is important. Which one did they tell you exactly?

Oct 15, 2019
I didn’t check with the airline but did check all my emails and my Expedia account. What concerns me most is that Expedia say that I created the 2nd itinerary and from myExpedia account forwarded it to an email address that doesn’t belong to me ( I absolutely did not do this). I received no correspondence whatsoever informing me that another itinerary had been issued.

Sep 19, 2015
I didn’t check with the airline but did check all my emails and my Expedia account. What concerns me most is that Expedia say that I created the 2nd itinerary and from myExpedia account forwarded it to an email address that doesn’t belong to me ( I absolutely did not do this). I received no correspondence whatsoever informing me that another itinerary had been issued.
I am sorry but I still do not understand what happened, what is this forwarded email? What is the address? What was the itinerary?

Oct 15, 2019
On 7/8/19 at 2204 whilst in UK I made a booking with Expedia on my iphone. (A one-way flight from London to Sydney). I got an itinerary number 74617028 ++++(amount $974.82 AUD) but never received an actual confirmation with the itinerary, therefore I contacted your agents on Twitter and they advised “the transaction was unsuccessful/cancelled and I had not been charged it was a pre authorisation that would be released after 7 days”

On 22/8/19 still no return of the funds to my account so I contacted Expedia again and was assured the trip was unbooked and they would send paperwork to my bank.
Qantas sent back information that they issued a ticket for the flight.
On 4/10/19 Expedia then send a message to advise me that there was another booking under another itinerary NO; 7461701+++ whichhad been matched with the ticket from Qantas..

I only tried to book one flight and only entered my credit card details once. At no time did I log into my Expedia account and forward the 2nd itinerary to [email protected]. I checked all of my emails and there was nothing from Expedia.

Note: edited by moderator to remove a personal email account.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com