Expedia and Wyndham

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 8, 2019
Booked a 1 night stay in Chattanooga, TN with Super 8 by Wyndham (through Expedia site), approximately 6 weeks in advance of trip. Confirmation received.
Upon arrival, discovered the building was CLOSED and undergoing renovations. Contacted Expedia who forwarded situation to "help team" who were then to coordinate with Hotel for a penalty free refund request.
Message received from Expedia stated request was DENIED by hotel "due to their policy in relation to your reason for refunding your reservation".
What now? Completely dissatisfied with Expedia's attempt to resolve this for me as hotel's sponsor site, and needless to say, very upset with Wyndham.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Contact your credit card company and file a dispute. Expedia’s response is not acceptable if the hotel was closed for renovations.

Did you take pictures of the signs at the hotel saying it was closed?

I’d normally advise you to use our company contacts and write but you may go beyond the time permitted to do a credit card dispute so call your cc company right away. Most require you to try and resolve with the company and you’ve done that.

Mar 8, 2019
Great idea, thank you. Been so flummoxed by the situation hadn't considered cc dispute.
As for pictures, unfortunately none were taken. Was too focused on trying to find other lodging before having to be at workplace that evening. I should have known to do that and actually brought that up to my wife this morning.
Thank you again.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Great idea, thank you. Been so flummoxed by the situation hadn't considered cc dispute.
As for pictures, unfortunately none were taken. Was too focused on trying to find other lodging before having to be at workplace that evening. I should have known to do that and actually brought that up to my wife this morning.
Thank you again.
In the future, search on Expedia or other OTAs, then book directly with the property. It is likely that Super 8 would not have offered you a room at a closed property (and if they did they would have fixed the problem quickly). You gain nothing by booking through Expedia except large headaches. All hotel sites essentially guarantee you the lowest rates on their web site so you save nothing with Expedia.

A large number of the issues on these forums involve booking air, hotel, car, etc, etc through online booking agencies like Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, and then having major problems when things go wrong. Yes, most of the bookings on these online sites work, but when they do not work, you pay the penalties.

Apr 6, 2017
As the respondent says, you gain nothing through booking with Expedia and other online agencies. They're all impersonal and forget about looking out for you. And their pricing isn't any better for the most part than booking directly with hotels.