Expedia / American Airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 19, 2020
Bought round trip tickets to Orlando last Oct. I received confirmation from SunCountry for flight down but nothing for return. Fast forward to March 8th when I realized I didn’t have any booking reservation information for return flight. We had no confirmation for return airline,or time of departure but knew we were to fly home 3/11. I tried calling Expedia but got a prerecorded message regarding Coronavirus and no customer service person to speak to. I then called Sun Country to see if they had any info but she told me Expedia changes the flight reservation number for departure/return flights. I again called Expedia and got another recording. Searched the website for a customer service number but found none. We could only hope that an airline would contact us with needed info. Knowing we needed to be back March 11th and unable to reach an agent at Expedia I shopped for the cheapest flights home. We had 24 hrs to cancel that new reservation. March 9 American Airlines sent an email regarding air miles so I called them and they gave me the flight info. Unfortunately it was now past the 24 hrs I had to cancel the second reservation and Customer Service said my only option was to take or cancel the reservation with American Airlines. No refund because they were basic economy tickets. Since cancelling American would cost us less, I cancelled that reservation. I should have never left town without return info. Expedia should have communicated prior to our trip. American Airlines should refund our money for cancelled tickets not only since we had our money for months, but by cancelling it gave them two days to resell the tickets.

May 30, 2019
Unless AA had a Conora-based waiver policy at the time you purchased or cancelled, you don't have any case for AA for refund. You knowingly purchased Basic Economy tickets and accepted their Terms & Conditions for the fare being non-refundable.

So, are you looking for a credit from Expedia for their lack of communication?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Didn’t you receive a booking confirmation notification from Expedia when you first booked? You should have received an email with your flights listed. Could it have gone into spam?

Did you log into your account at Expedia? You can view all your trips when you log in.

Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry but I am having a difficult time understanding— the original tickets were on Sum Country both outbound and inbound?

And then the return on Sun Country could not be located so AA Basic Economy tickets were purchased and then cancelled after 24 hours?

So there was a Sun Country return flight and that was what was taken back?

The no change fee for AA was for tickets bought before March 1?

Forget the argument about 2 days to resell ticket. That does not work and it is a dishonest argument to take when you purchase a ticket that could not be changed.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Jul 13, 2016
Also confused. You bought round trip tickets on Expedia, Sun Country on the way to MCO, and AA for the return?
Somehow you missed that you never saw your return flight confirmation and you flew to MCO.
You could not reach AA or Expedia so you bought new tickets home.
On 09 March, AA contacted you and you were able to get you original return flight info. By this time, you could not cancel the second set of tickets home, so you canceled the Basic Economy tickets you had with AA (Which was the first set of tickets bought back in October?)

Here's the thing. AA isn't at fault here, at all and we don't know if Expedia screwed up, since it appears from your post you never did your due diligence in making sure you got the correct confirmations immediately. What if the dates were incorrect? Or a name misspelled? This is why you must check you confirmations immediately and why you should have followed up if the confirmation of the return tickets did not appear within a few hours of your booking.
Then you compounded the error by flying to MCO without having your return sorted out.
Once there, and having trouble reaching Expedia, why didn't you log into your Expedia account?

Please come back and clarify your situation so we can better advise you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am sorry but I am having a difficult time understanding— the original tickets were on Sum Country both outbound and inbound?

And then the return on Sun Country could not be located so AA Basic Economy tickets were purchased and then cancelled after 24 hours?

Forget the argument about 2 days to resell ticket. That does not work and it is a dishonest argument to take when you purchase a ticket that could not be changed.
And resell? Everyone is canceling, not booking.

Aug 29, 2018
It sounds like Expedia may have nooked two one-way tickets --in which case merican may see their ticket as the start of the trip... And maybe credit/refundable due to coronavirus.

Reactions: jsn55
May 30, 2019
It sounds like Expedia may have nooked two one-way tickets --in which case merican may see their ticket as the start of the trip... And maybe credit/refundable due to coronavirus.
That is plausible. Expedia often does that with paid reservations as well as Chase points redemptions.

Mar 19, 2020
Unless AA had a Conora-based waiver policy at the time you purchased or cancelled, you don't have any case for AA for refund. You knowingly purchased Basic Economy tickets and accepted their Terms & Conditions for the fare being non-refundable.

So, are you looking for a credit from Expedia for their lack of communication?
Yes. No communication from Expedia (orAmerican)and attempted to contact them. Knowing we needed to be home March 11 and not having flight info I booked cheap flights home. As for American Airlines, I pleaded my case because they hadn’t sent any info either until March 9th- two days before we left and by that time had already repurchased flights home. American reps were very polite, but blamed Expedia’s booking practices assigning different reservation codes for outbound/inbound flights

Mar 19, 2020
I checked all my mailboxes.Nothing . Didn’t even realize I could “sign-In” to Expedia.The only thing I received was booking flight info from outbound carrier Sun Country

Sep 19, 2015
Yes. No communication from Expedia (orAmerican)and attempted to contact them. Knowing we needed to be home March 11 and not having flight info I booked cheap flights home. As for American Airlines, I pleaded my case because they hadn’t sent any info either until March 9th- two days before we left and by that time had already repurchased flights home. American reps were very polite, but blamed Expedia’s booking practices assigning different reservation codes for outbound/inbound flights
If Expedia had two different codes for outbound and inbound that means that it was not a round trip ticket but two one way tickets -- likely done because it was cheaper. What airline was the return flight booked on? How did you eventually find it?